Configuration recovery

Hello,

I think that my raspberry PI 3 dies on me - the green light doesn’t turn on after a short power outage - not even new hass.io installs, on a different card work - I did tried multiple power sources.

I ordered a new pi 3 b+, but I read that I won’t be able to use the same card :(. Is there a way I can extract the configuration from the SD card directly? The SD Card is not damaged - I tries to read it and I can see the folder structure on all shares. Is the configuration kept outside of docker?

I don’t have any backups :frowning:
Thanks.

1 Like

If anybody hits the same issue.

A linux environment would help, but I don’t have one.

I tried to read the SD card on Windows but I was not able to find a good way to read EXT2/EXT3/EXT4 files - especially the required folder - “resin-data”.

I used an OSX and installed osxfuse and fuse-ext2 and I was able to mount the card.

So to pull the data try to mount the largest partition on the card, it might be the last partition on the card and access “resin-data/homeassistant”. This folder should contain all the homeassistant configuration and the db.

Home it helps others that has the same issue. It makes no sense for me to buy old hardware just to access the configuration, and latest PI is not supported by hass.io yet.

1 Like

Get a new SD card and download the latest Raspian image. (Not noob).
Boot the Pi into Raspian.
Put the old SD card into a USB adapter. If you have an HDMI monitor connected, then the SD card will open in a File Manager. It will probably be /dev/sda*
If you are running Home Assistant on Raspian, then you can copy the configuration files to a folder in your user folder, like, for example, ~/backup, then install Home Assistant. When done installing Home Assistant, you can just copy the configuration files from your backup folder.

If you are running Home Assistant on hass.io, then you will need to copy the configuration files to a USB drive.
Next , I would remove the Raspian SD card and burn the hass.io image on a new SD card. After getting Home Assistant running on hass.io, you can use sftp on Filezilla to copy the files from the thumb drive in a PC to /config/configuration on the hass.io Raspberry.

I have never needed or tried to restore from a snapshot, but I understand that it is possible, and you don’t need to copy all of your configuration files. Perhaps more experienced users (which means almost everyone else on this forum) will correct me about the snapshot feature.

Hope this helps,
Steve Mann