Configuration schema advice for emulated_hue instances

I have a modified version of emulated_hue that allows it to run multiple service interfaces.

I am considering eventually submitting these changes to the HA code base.

But, I would like the configuration schema to be backward compatible, if possible.

Here is the configuration example for multiple emulated_hue instances:

emulated_hue:
  hue1:
    type: alexa
    listen_port: 8301
    exposed_domains:
      - switch
      - script
      - light
  hue2:
    type: alexa
    listen_port: 8302
    exposed_domains:
      - scene
      - group

This configuration schema will break current deployments because of the new instance names (e.g. hue1, hue2).

Is there some recommendation for a configuration schema definition that would support this new multi-instance labeling and be backward compatible?

Just dropping in to say I like the idea of this. Thanks for thinking ahead.

From my point of view, its so easy to forget all devices, and then discover devices, that I dont mind when alexa things have to be broken. If its really important to not break existing, would calling the first one just ‘hue’ and the next ‘hue2’ allow for original devices to be left on ‘hue’ ??

either way without your code, all devices were already on the first hue, so it’s going to take some configuration right?

I’m assuming the goal of this would be to avoid the 50-(i think) item limit to the hue?

keep it up !

Yes - this is to get past the 49 device issue. It has some other benefits when using multiple Echos and multiple Alexa accounts.

If I updated the emulated_hue code to require a different configuration scheme that required a emulated_hue name then all of the current configs that use emulated_hue would have to change.

I was just trying to find out if someone had a suggestion for an alternative way to define this schema that would be backward compatible.

Alternatively I could create a new multi_emulated_hue - but there is too much redundancy between the two versions for that to make sense.

I hope you crack it. I’ve got many Alexa devices, with multiple accounts, and quickly approaching th 49 device limit.

As I mention in this thread:

I will be maintaining these modifications as a separate custom_component hosted here:

You can download it and try it out.