Configure Shelly RGBW2 in Newest Home Assistant

HI Everyone,

I tried copying and pasting the file into YAML and HASS just doesn’t like it …

It says ‘depreicated’ everywhere …

Any ideas on where I am going wrong ?

2022.09 broke this by removing “white_value” from template. The official integration Is still lacking full Control, someone know how to fix on 2022.09?

1 Like

same problem…

Not really a “fix” per se, but the 2022.09 update deprecating the white_value from template forced me to remove all of my custom MQTT setup from my Configuration.yaml file and use the Shelly Integration to add my lights back in for the purposes of the Home Assistant dashboard.

But I did notice that since my Shelly RGBW2 devices are configured for MQTT, automations I had set up in Node Red that sent an MQTT payload to my RGBW2 lights still work. For example, this payload still sets my RGB lights to blue and makes them flash (it’s my visual notification that mail has been delivered to our mailbox.)

1 Like

Same problem here with the removal of white_value_template from 2022.9. Banged my head against the wall for a couple of hours trying to get it back to working order with MQTT, but no use. Hoping there’s a fix soon or someone smarter than me figures it out. I’ll probably have to move to the Shelly integration as well.

I also have the same problem with the white_value_template that had crashed all the integration of MQTT now that I have removed only that string the integration is restarted but obviously my rgbw leds with the shelly dimmer cannot adjust the white value. I hope that there is a Fix or that someone post an alternative method also because I have searched the net and written on the HA Discord but I have not found any information

I’m having the same issue. Hopefully, there is some fix soon.

This issue has been resolved by the Shelly integration in Home Assistant.

Before you add the Shelly integration in Home Assistant, write down the IP addresses of all your Shelly RGBW2 devices.

Remove all your custom YAML statements defining your RGBW2 devices, then add the Shelly integration.

You’ll need to re-add the Shelly integration for each of your RGBW2 devices. Each time you add the integration, it will prompt you for a “Host IP.” This is the IP address of your RGBW2 device.

After you’ve added the Shelly integration for each device, you can add them to your HA dashboard.

The part that I think is confusing a lot of people is that HA only displays an on-off switch and brightness slider for the RGBW2 device.

All you need to do is turn on the light and the UI will expand to display all the controls:

1 Like

Does anyone know how to control the brightness of the white channel of the RGBW2 from an automation? My use for this automation will be to increase or decrease the brightness of the white channel with an increment of 10 on every trigger in an automation.

I configure the RGBW2 device for MQTT, use Node Red for my automations and send a payload.

Here’s the payload I use when my mailbox sensor shows the mailbox door has been opened. It changes my kitchen LEDs to blue and flashes them.

For your automation, every time it triggers, you’d want to read the current white value, increment it by 10, then send a payload to set the new white level.

Is there any way to do it natively? I mean without using Node Red. My HA interacts with my RGBW2 using the official Shelly Integration. So is there any way to do it via Automations?

It’s obvious since nothing changed in mqtt abilities of Shelly devices.
What changed is HA entity settings.

btw maybe it’t time to try mqtt light default schema instead of template?
I remember I failed on that when attempting some time ago. But don’t remember exact limitation

I figured out how to configure rgbw light for Shelly RGBW2 using mqtt template schema default.
Look at link below.

Edit: I updated the post linked below with CCT configuration for Shelly RGBW2 using MQTT Light schema default.

1 Like

Hi,
I was already using the native integration for my RGBW2 switches since a while, but after the update to 2022.9 the control entities have been disabled, while all other entities are still available (more details here https://community.home-assistant.io/t/shelly-rgbw2-led-control-disabled-after-ha-update-to-rel-2022-9-2/460103).
Does this mean that I have to remove the native integration and re-enable it for each and every RGBW2 switch?

I have solved my problem.
There is a new version of the Shelly integration (1.0.2) that apparently was not installed properly in my system. I have reverted to a previous version and reinstalled it. Afterwards the control instances were there again.
Just in case someone has a similar issue…

Thanks for the hint with the color wheel.
Any idea how to control the color with automations?

I am interested to change the color via script/automation too. Do you have any idea?

HA 101: Light - Home Assistant.

1 Like

My “fix” ended up being just flashing the Shelly RGBW2 with an ESPHome configuration using the rgbw platform.

Shows up in HA like any other ‘normal’ RGBW light and I can use regular service calls just like before the HA template change.

Kinda silly that I had used the Shelly ‘native’ integration and it worked fine until HA was effectively deprecated for this device. Especially since that meant having to physically access the RGBW2 to re-flash it to get that capability back, but there you go.

ESPHome to the rescue, I guess.