Configured X10 but no device visible

As per documentation I added the lines of configuration for X10 to configuration.yaml, checked the config with the web interfaced and restarted my Rpi but the device did not show up.

configuration.yaml:

light:
 platform: x10
 devices:
  id: a13
  name: Tuin verlichting

After looking around for clues I found this in the log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 82, in async_setup
    SLOW_SETUP_MAX_WAIT, loop=hass.loop)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/tasks.py", line 358, in wait_for
    return fut.result()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/futures.py", line 245, in result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/light/x10.py", line 45, in setup_platform
    x10_command('info')
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/light/x10.py", line 33, in x10_command
    return check_output(['heyu'] + command.split(' '), stderr=STDOUT)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 336, in check_output
    **kwargs).stdout
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 403, in run
    with Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs) as process:
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 709, in __init__
    restore_signals, start_new_session)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 1344, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'heyu': 'heyu'

So did I do something wrong? Are the instruction for X10 incomplete?

Since this is the hassio forum, I assume you’re using that like me, right?

In that case, it doesn’t look like there’s an easy way to get heyu x10 working in hassio (at least on the Pi – again I’m making an assumption here).

It’s under discussion in this thread: Is there an addon for Heyu (x10)? but doesn’t seem resolved yet.

If you find otherwise, I’d love to hear about it, since I’ve got a few x10 devices I’d like to control with hassio.

(I had to remove the “.” from hassio to keep the forum from converting it to a link and exceeding my “new user link limit”, sorry if that causes any confusion in the above…)

Yes I am using hassio on a rpi. I’ve read somewhere that hassio has build in X10 support and using configurator->Components i searched for X10 and found the configuration fragment which I added. The X10 page says it’s introduced in release 0.25 (https://home-assistant.io/components/light.x10/).

So now I am totally confused, why does it tell me it’s supported and works through editing your configuration.yaml but no device shows up. The log says something important I think
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'heyu': 'heyu'.

Is the current release broken?

Short answer is “yes”.

Much longer answer: If you look at the x10 component page it says: “Requires Heyu x10 and a CM11A interface”. The link takes you not to another component page on the home-assistant site but to the Heyu web page, and the download link there will take you to the project’s github page. From there you can download the source, uncompress it and read the README which says: “This should compile on any Linux system.” Then have a look at README.INSTALL to see what that entails: “Heyu requires a reasonable compiler (GCC works well)”. At this point you find that there is no GCC on a hassio installation on a Pi. Then you either give up, or try to figure out how to cross-compile heyu on a Linux PC and also tweak the defines to build for an ARM processor. At this point, you really do give up, since you’re using hassio in the first place because – and I’m quoting the install page here – “you want to easily get started with Home Assistant, or if you have no or little Linux experience”.

So it can almost certainly be done, but it requires much more DIY hardcore Linux knowledge or web research than users who have self-selected the hass.io approach would likely want to do.

I don’t really mean for this to sound cynical, it’s just that x10 integration is right now not something for casual users who just want to concentrate on the actual automation side of home automation.

I got the picture now, Thanks a ton for your clear reply roborob.

Personally I think hass.io should not pretend to support X10 unless it works as advertised. For me, i’ll just replace my one leftover X10 switch in the garden with Tradfri or hue and ebay the X10 equipment :wink:

Guess I rolled up my sleeves too, read my reply in the previous topic https://community.home-assistant.io/t/is-there-an-addon-for-heyu-x10/33625/18

I’m a Hassio newb here, but I have been using X10 since the 1990’s, and have more recently been playing with Insteon. The Insteon support (module? Plug-in? Add-on?) in the rPi Hassio DOES support X10, at least using the Insteon hub (2245), and I’m able to turn X10 modules On/Off using the Hassio web interface.

I have a CM15 (I think, the USB X10 interface) running a lighting program in the X10 devices, so I haven’t paid much attention to the X10 side of things with Hassio, but the Insteon hub does control X10 devices, at least minimally. So, there’s hope to control X10 switches that you have.

This is running Hassio v0.82.0 right now.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Are you saying you’re using a CM15 with the Insteon Config in your .yaml and its working and you don’t need the 1st gen insteon module?

If so do you know if the CM11a would work too?