Configuring Homeassistant with config files

Hey there,
this is not the usual feature request. I mostly want to stop a current direction, the project is going. I just found out that mqtt is not configurable over the configuration.yaml anymore. The only option is over the ui. It seems like the project goes into the direction of doing all over the ui. For me thats more impracticable from my developer standpoint and its also more difficult to share configs with others for example.
In my opinion there is simply no reason to not support both options: ui and config. When the Timezone is set in the configuration, its greyed out in the ui. Why is this not an option for the other stuff too? In the pr #66160 which is responsible for the removal of the mqtt configuration for example, the reason is that the config option was just for the initial setup and after that its only possible to change in the ui. Why is the solution to this removing it completely instead of a solution where configchanges are recognized? In my opinion thats a poor design choice and pretty inconsistent. Being able to configure all programmatically is a huge benefit and I would love to see the project going that direction instead of the opposite.

This has been discussed, at great length, before.

The future of YAML - Blog - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Request to bring back YAML - arguments against The Future of YAML - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

2 Likes