Configuring Z-Wave Door Sensor

Hey, fairly new to HA and been trying to configure my Z-Wave door sensor for a few days now. I’m able to get HA to see my Aeotec ZW090 Z-Stick Gen5 and Aeotec ZW112 Door Window Sensor 6 but always shows the sensor to be On. When I close the door, it doesn’t register as Off. I haven’t added any lines, just simply working in the Configuration page. Is there any more steps that need to be done?

Thanks.

Running hass.io 0.90.1 on a RP3.

2 Likes

Here’s what I see in Overview:

Overview
Details

Here’s what I see in my Configuration > Z-Wave page:

When I test my door sensor, the green light on the back blinks indication that the state has changed, but never see it change state in Home Assistant.

I’m wondering what I’m missing!

Thanks.

For Aeotec sensors you need to enable binary sensor. In the z-wave config panel for that node set option Report Type to Send to Sensor Binary Report.

Thank you for your reply freshcoast. Not too sure what you mean, are you talking about this:

I don’t see Report Type.

For my Aeotec door window sensors, the Report Type is in that last option “Config parameter”. Then you set the Config Value as Sensory Binary Report. You may have to wake-up the device by pressing the reset pin once right after setting the configuration. I seem to recall having to try several times to get the timing right on mine and have the value stick.

Hi, not really understand what needs to be done.

• select the zwave device
  • In “Node Config Option”, choose “121: Report Type”
  • In value, set to"17" (as recommended). It says " To configure which sensor report will be sent when the Sensor is triggered Opened/Closed. Bitsets: 0->Battery report, 4->Sensor Binary, 8->Basic Set, Default setting: 0x00000100 (Basic Set). Ideal Setting for OZW is 17 (Sensor Binary and Battery Report)".
  • wake the device by simple clicking on the sync button. Wait a few seconds to see if the value is reupdated to 256, if so try again.

Why default settings is “0x00000100” while this field is accepting integer? Is it “256” the default value?
Why isn’t it done by default when the device is added in zwave, since its type is door sensor?

Why default settings is “0x00000100” while this field is accepting integer?

The default is 0x00000100 because that’s how Aeotec programs it at the factory. 0x100 is an integer. The help text comes from the OZW device database, that’s how someone wrote it. If you try to input the string value of “0x11” in the control panel, I doubt HA will know to convert it to an integer, but you can try. Just easier to set it the value to 17 and move on.

Is it “256” the default value?

Yes, 0x100 is 256 in decimal form.

Why isn’t it done by default when the device is added in zwave, since its type is door sensor?

Neither HA nor OZW ever set any configuration values on their own without user input. Neither make assumptions about how you want to use the device. HA doesn’t even know it’s a door sensor.

ok, things could be clearer, and home assistant more aware of the device types. You do not have so much doc to read on Domoticz or other systems.

I have updated my comment with the complete procedure