Configuring Zigbee2MQTT as a noob

Think this might be interference. Your dongle, is it on a long (more than 1m) usb extender cable and in a usb2 port? Also, secure good distance to my WiFi devices.

No and no actually :thinking: Iā€™ll try that tomorrow. Does USB3 really cause that much of a difference? I think all my ports are USB3.

Mine is using USB3 and I am using a 2mtr extension cable (from the floor where my DS is to the top shelf well out of the way). After much headbanging and so forth, my Z2M is now working and Iā€™ve managed to add my first device. :slight_smile:

Hopefully, youā€™ll get a resolution shortly too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Many people report that you should use usb2 ports. I have not tried usb3 my self.

However I have tried without a long usb extender cable, and it does not work well. Now I use a 2m extender cable, and have a solid zigbee mesh, with a sonoff 3.0, like the one you have

https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/advanced/zigbee/04_sniff_zigbee_traffic.html#connect-the-adapter-using-an-usb-extension-cable

I have a motion sensor connected and will. Try my usb2 extension cable tomorrow. Fingers cross thatā€™s the end of my ZigBee issues.

Well done! Iā€™m pleased you got things goingā€¦ thatā€™s two of us in one sitting both sorted, and using the same equipment (even down to the motion sensor being our first addition to the zigbee family).

Thanks Iā€™m pleased you did too. I have my first automation up and running and have added 2 other devices.

Thanks to everyone who helped. I just wish I knew what the problem was in the beginning.

Another noob has entered the chat
I found out why I was getting the same

Refusing to start because configuration is not valid, found the following errors:
mqtt must have required property ā€˜serverā€™

This persistet to appear and stop my Z2M to start and was caused because the Mosquito-service was not yet started I heard that if ZHA is on or configure it block Z2M to recognise the USB dongle and wont start. However that was not the case with me.