Confused about energy settings configuration

Hi

I’m trying to set up the brand new Energy panel, because frankly it looks awesome. I have more or less set it up with my current power meters (Shelly EMs mostly), but I’m not sure if I’ve chosen the right sensors. According to documentation, 3 different sensors must be selected:

• Energy spent at home
  • Energy injected back to the grid
  • Energy generated by solar panels

My doubt is that those settings are somewhat interrelated. My main power measurement already substracts the energy generated by solar panels (for example, if at some moment my home needs 2.500W and my solar panels generate 500W, my Shelly outputs 2.000W). For the same reason, main power may be negative when solar panels are generating more energy than spent. And injected energy is just the absolute value when this happens, so I don’t exactly see the point on specifying a different sensor for injection, when it’s a value that can be easily calculated from the other two.

All this considered, I’m not sure what Home Assistant expects from this sensors. Should I do some math, adding solar panel production to main energy measuring so my home consumption doesn’t take into account solar panels? Or should I leave it like explained, hoping HA will sort it out? I’ve red the available documentation and haven’t found details about this matter.

Thanks!

join the main thread here: Energy Management in Home Assistant

Shell EMs are perfect, you just need to setup all your templates and utility meters so provide and calculate all the different measures