Confused why I can't 'access' caldav information & use it in automations

I currently use the Apple iCloud caldav calendar integration which is great for pulling information from the iCloud calendars into Home Assistant for viewing on a wall tablet but I’m baffled I can’t sort of ‘access’ the events for use for example in sensors or for sending alerts, eg Telegram: “good morning, here are today’s appointments” etc

Is this REALLY the case?!

Thanks

Calendar entities only show you the next event.

no this shows lots of events, for the day and coming days

I believe you’re referring to what you see in the calendar view, not in a calendar entity.

1. Go to Developer Tools > States
  2. Find your calendar entity in the list.
  3. Look at the Attributes column
  4. That’s all the information the calendar entity has about the next scheduled event.

indeed - and that’s kinda the basis for this whole question - it seems odd that the view has all this information available but it’s locked away and unavailable for use
(thanks for the help btw)

If you are interested, there’s an add-on that creates a sensor containing information about upcoming scheduled events.

1 Like

As 123 said, that’s not the entity, that’s the actual calendar. The calendar entities only show the next event. And you should take time to read up on the calendar triggers, as those are special triggers for calendar events. They may be all you need.

Thanks, I already use those. Ah well, thanks anyway!