Connection refused. Frontend doesn't load. Fresh install

How did you connect using the root account. I get a connection refused on that too.
@Valentino_Stillhardt

You must physically connect a screen/keyboard/mice to your RPi and access it from there, that way you can log in as root with no additional steps, such as certificates and shite.

Thanks for the quick response.

I have connected a screen and its blank for me.

No problem :slight_smile:

You must reboot the RPi with the screen plugged in in order for it to “initialize” the screen.

Thanks, that helped. I can see the screen now. I see a “Welcome to HassOS” hassio login:
I entered root and hit enter and I did not see any response for a long time but I now finally can see the hassio prompt. Thank @Valentino_Stillhardt for your help.

I think you need to have access to the internet.
Mine got the same problem as yours, it turns out that my router is blocking access to the internet. After I allow it to reach the internet, I start to get the “Preparing Hass.io” page.

Thank you! This solution saved my day!

Here is my steps to correct the same problem.

1. Connect Raspberry Pi with HDMI monitor and USB keyboard
  2. Login with root
  3. Type “login” and it will show prompt#
  4. Type “date -s [current date or after]” for example : “date -s 2019-05-25”
  5. Type “systemctl status hassos-supervisor” and it start to pull the landingpage!
2 Likes

Do you mean Snapshots? If not what is your procedure to back up the SD Card?

no, not snapshots. i don’t use hassio so I don’t have snapshots available.

I think SD card backups are only possible if you don’t use hassio. i’ve heard that is because the file system isn’t compatible with most backup software.

Someone who uses hassio might be able to help you out more on that side.

Otherwise i just used Win32DiskImager on my windows machine and create an image of the SD card.

Either way, a regular SD card backup or snapshot is extremely important. Or even the minimum of just copying your config directory contents to a safe location off of your HA machine will be a huge help in case of a failure.

Either way, a regular SD card backup or snapshot is extremely important. Or even the minimum of just copying your config directory contents to a safe location off of your HA machine will be a huge help in case of a failure."

Yes, I am learning that the hard way! Snapshots are no good if you can’t bring up Hassio!

Thanks for the reply!

But the good news as far as I understand it is that if your system fails you can easily re-install the base hassio onto a new SD card and then at that point restore your snapshot to the new system.

Tried that but the base that I was reloading turned out to be 97.2! Every time that I tried to restore my snapshot it would end up with the “connection refused” error. I finally gave up after 2 days and started loading everything back one file at a time.

I know there is a way to install a specific version of hassio but I don’t know how to do it for sure.

I think you have to ssh into the container and do an “update” to the older version.

If I could figure out why it “refused connection”, I could just accept the update and move on.
but it has me baffled!

I would assume that there was some kind of breaking change in the update that you didn’t account for.

You could always go to your config folder and check the homeassistant.log file for errors.

Hi, thanks for sharing this solution.
I flashed the sd card 3 times and none of them work.
With the short “hack” of adjust the date it works perfect.
Many thanks!

I had the same problem. The date hack fixed it. How do I prevent this from happening again? It is easy enough to fix if I have physical access to the RPi but that is not always the case.

Solved! Thank you!

Anyone still having this issue. Mine done this at the end of September and only got around to looking at it now. The fix worked temporarily for me as I could get into the front end via browser and the app, however when I tried to load the supervisor, config, log, history pages it took a while and then reported that they could not be found.

I then got a new fresh sd card and installed the latest version of homeassistant and restored the setup from a working snapshot. I then updated all of the apps, add ons, integrations, etc and was all working perfectly. After about an hour I started losing the supervisor, config,logging, history,ssh and samba again. Absolutely annoyed with this as I have done a lot to my setup and looks like its never going to work. Any ideas ?

Dear all of course I’ve te same problem but rpi4b doesn’t stop running text like in matrix…never reach an end to type login…
???!?!? Which case is mine