Constant connectivity issues

Hi,

After a look I’ve bought a rp zero 2w and tried to install like 10x the HA with raspberry imager.

In almost all tries I was able to access wifi and start setup, extremelly buggy and slow, wifi keeps disconnecting and in country part I got always stuck. I was able to access via phone and finish the setup. Now, after two days I was able to access via browser and setup some devices (supervisor never worked). IP is static and 2.4Ghz set by default.

Raspberry is blinking most of the time and I don’t see network data transfer (Deco M5). I’m not able to connect in external screen or keyboard for now.

Basically I can’t never access HA since get connection refuse… and when I turn off and on, I take like 1h to see something until get refused again

Any advise?

Im Not sure where you “looked”, but if you had read the Official Recommendations ( In the DOCS section above ) , you would have noticed that a RP-Zero-2W is not among recommended Boards

Unfortunately it seems they have “renewed” the Docs, but somehow managed to “hide” the Obvious recommendations , i.e RAM size, CPU, Storage. etc.

However 512MB RAM is way to little , Running over WIFI is neither Recommended, In Common, For a Server, in particular not a Server who mend to Serve Device on the 2.4GHZ frequency

So in short, this is the only initial advises i can come up with, Min 2 GB RAM, Ethernet ( You will eventually have alot other “Issues” on your 2.4GHz Frequency )

Unless you have a particular use-case where you need to run your server over wifi

I have a 64Gb sdcard and I already bougth a ethernet adapter to try to make it work.

I think besides RAM my problem is the wifi connection. But thank you for advise, right now since I’m getting started I’ll stick with it.

Do you know if I can clone this setup in any way later to a better device? or only installing google drive backup addon?

You can do a “Full Backup” in UI, or through HA-Cli , this you can use when installing a fresh-install ( of Ha and integrations ) on another Device( Other hardware ) … If the backup is not to “old”, lately alot “major” updates have been made on all levels of the HA :slight_smile:
You can also use partial backups

Clone i doubt, as it’s not a VM

PS: You can run HA on basically most older Laptops, either in VM or barebone, as long as it’s a x86-64 machine, 2-4 CPU, with UEFI and min 2-4 GB (2 if running barebone) , as a VM requires 2GB/2CPU alone)

1 Like

Hi, I was able to trade by a raspberry 4 model B with 4GB RAM, and everything is working smoothly :smile: thank you

1 Like

Great to hear, and BTW Welcome to the addicts Forum :slight_smile:

I don’t know if you can help me with this.

I lost access to HA while trying to setup cloud flare…

1. I bought a domain and set NS to cloudflare
  2. Created a Subdomain and added A record in cloudflare
  3. installed this add one GitHub - brenner-tobias/addon-cloudflared: Connect remotely to your Home Assistant instance without opening any ports using Cloudflared. , placed the home.xxxx.com url and in log I go to link to activate tunnel.
  4. I added cloudflare device with zones API
  5. I added in yaml the trusted cloudflares ips
  6. added 443 to 8123 port in my Deco M5 settings

Restarted HA and pufff

Cloudflare link with or without port say Host Error

Sorry i can’t, i don’t know anything about cloudflare ( I run local only, as much as it goes :slight_smile: ) , but there are lots of Topics in here, so try with the Search function, maybe you find similar “setup / configuration” Topics

PS: i noticed he had a Wiki also, maybe you can find help there,

or open an “Issue” in this, his own Project

So setting up the Cloudflare Addon does not limit your local access in any way, this should always work. You should be able to use your local IP address with the port you are using (I guess 8123 unless you have changed that), so try that with “http://” and “https://” for connection.
Generally speaking, you do not have to open any ports in your Router (thats the beauty of the tunnel) and also not create any A records in Cloudflare (again, the tunnel takes care for you), so I suggest to follow our explanation step-by-step once you got your access back.
Feel free to open an issue in Github if you have add-on specific issues or post here for general connectivity stuff.

1 Like

I’ve created the issue there, thank you

1 Like