Constant updates, skip option

Not quite sure what you’re referring to here. It’s exactly what happens in Home Assistant as well.

Home Assistant stable (non-beta) releases:

Release 2022.12.1 - December 8
Release 2022.12.2 - December 11
Release 2022.12.3 - December 11
Release 2022.12.4 - December 12
Release 2022.12.5 - December 13
Release 2022.12.6 - December 14
Release 2022.12.7 - December 17
Release 2022.12.8 - December 21
Release 2022.12.9 - January, 2
Release 2023.1.1 - January 5
Release 2023.1.2 - January 8
Release 2023.1.3 - January 10
Release 2023.1.4 - January 12
Release 2023.1.5 - January 17
Release 2023.1.6 - January 19
Release 2023.1.7 - January 22
Release 2023.2.1 - February 2
Release 2023.2.2 - February 4
Release 2023.2.3 - February 7
Release 2023.2.4 - February 13
Release 2023.2.5 - February 15

2 Likes

Yup. It’s up to us users to choose our own update schedule. I’ve chosen once a month, usually around the third week when things have calmed down a bit. I did my HA update this morning. I’ve already updated ESPHome once this month, so I may wait until my next cycle for that. Or not, I sometimes have to fight the urge to get everything up to date.

I’m in the same boat with other people on the update notifications though. For some people a visual notification like that creates a sense of urgency that’s not really warranted or appreciated and they might have a harder time than others to tune out of that. I’m definitely one of those people.

As such, I wish the update notification was more configurable.
The reason why the frequent Home Assistant updates don’t bother me as much is that it’s one update versus 25 individual ones every time.

2 Likes

Are others also getting a HA update notification every major/patch release, too?

I don’t get those either.

Am I just lucky or am I not getting any of these because I’m not running a Supervised-type install?

I have ESP devices which require me to pull a panel from a cabinet, extract the ESP-12F from its relay board, plug it into my firmware burner and then write the update file to it. I’m not doing that every time a ESPHome update is released. It runs multiple relays over a serial chip, that code isn’t changing much between releases. Most of my esphome devices do not need an update after they have been created, ever. So I think ESPhome devices should not be part of the update notifications in core. At least I would like to be able to turn update notifications of for all ESPhome devices.

so I am assuming with this new update 2023.3, there is no change to this topic? I just want to update the esphome update and not actually update all the esp devices.

What is keeping you ?

• you can update the add-on whenever you want.
  • if you don’t want the update notifications, disable the update sensors, and you won’t see them anymore, except on the esphome add-on page.
1 Like

if you don’t want the update notifications, disable the update sensors, and you won’t see them anymore, except on the esphome add-on page

So if I disabled the update sensor and decide to update the firmware on the device will it revert back to enabled by default?

no, it will not turn on again…

Google brought me here and I fully agree.
I have around 50 ESPHome nodes in my home and started to update all to ESPHome 2023.3.0 after an intrusive high orange number asked for it. This took me around 1,5 hours.

A couple of days later, the orange number reappeared, because there is an update to ESPHome 2023.3.1.
I took another 1,5 hours to update all my ESPHome devices.

Today the orange number reappeared because there is a new ESPHome update to 2023.3.2

I will skip this update because by now I’m worried about the flash memory in my sockets.

Please set up an option to hide updates for ESPHome components. I will continue to cheerfully update the firmware in my unifi components every month or so, but not updating all my ESPHome devices like 4 times a month.

1 Like

see solution above…

1 Like

Maybe stupid question, but where and what is the update sensor? Where can I find it to unable the node updates three times in two weeks, but still can update esphome, and other updates from HASS still show?

It’s an entity that creates the notifications that felicitate the updates for a device. Disable the entity, remove the notification.

Update entities are the same as any other entity. You find them with the related device. If by chance you can’t find the device it’s coming from, you can always look for entities in Developer Tools → States page.

1 Like

everyone use this service call to skip all updates from esp home devices

service: update.skip
data: {}
target:
  entity_id: >
    {{ states.update | 
     selectattr('state', 'eq', 'on') | 
     map(attribute='entity_id') | 
     select('in', integration_entities('esphome')) | 
     list }}
2 Likes

This approach made the most sense. I can skip with one click but still see that updates are available until I do. Thanks!

Thanks!
However, update sensor remains enabled, so i guess that at next esphome update sensor will again show tthe need for an update (or will it?). Would be possible to use some kind of a script which would change all esphome update entities to disabled? (automatically, if possible, of course… :wink:)

I made the following automation to skip all ESPHome and MQTT Updates. Just edit integrations List. @Protoncek

automation:
  - id: 13b62e56-d3f1-47a2-a558-cec4660119e4
    alias: skip selected Updates
    description: ""
    mode: restart
    variables:
      integrations:
        - esphome
        - mqtt
      entities: >
        {%- set ns = namespace(entities=[]) -%}

{%- for x in integrations -%}
        {%- set entity = integration_entities(x)
        | select('match', 'update.')
        | list -%}

{%- set ns.entities = (ns.entities + entity) -%}
        {%- endfor -%}

{% set list = ns.entities %}

{%- set ns = namespace(entities=[]) -%}

{%- for x in list -%}
          {% if states(list[loop.index-1]) in 'on' %}
            {% set ns.entities = ns.entities + [x] %}
          {% endif %}
        {% endfor -%}

{{ ns.entities }}
    trigger:
      # Trigger every Minute
    - platform: time_pattern
      minutes: "/1"
    condition:
    - alias: "update available?"
      condition: template
      value_template: "{{ entities|length > 0 }}"
    action:
      - service: update.skip
        target:
          entity_id: >
            {{ entities }}
1 Like

Wow, thanks a lot! So, if understand correct this should “delete” update warnings for esphome (and mqtt) when they popup… nice!

Finally, no more EspHome device update notifications. Soo annoying- what were the devs thinking !?

Automation Editor:

alias: ESPHome Update Skip All
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: time_pattern
    minutes: /1
condition: []
action:
  - service: update.skip
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id: |
        {{ states.update | 
         selectattr('state', 'eq', 'on') | 
         map(attribute='entity_id') | 
         select('in', integration_entities('esphome')) | 
         list }}
mode: single

2 Likes

They were thinking to notify you about an update :bulb:

It’s the same when a new HA core is released for example - you get notified about the update :speech_balloon: (that’s very common thing in the modern computer world - otherwise you just directly do auto-updates but that’s not really that good for HA related stuff as things might break if you don’t read change logs! :page_with_curl:)

You can also disable esphome updates notifications with a simple toggle switch instead creating an automation… but that might be to easy and not worth the rant :joy: