Control andoird TV/Nvidia shield?

yeah i will… probably wont be any time soon… im just planning for the future.

Just a bit more info. I tried this and you can curl the endpoint created by automagic and it wakes the shield which then wakes up my amp and tv via hdmi cec. So the broadlink isn’t needed.

In case it wasn’t clear before btw the shield does have an ir sensor.

im confused as to what any of that means, but the latest nvidia shield tv does not have an ir sensor, atleast not the 16gb model.

Ah I have the old one which did. Automagic sets up a URL that you can send a get request. It receives it and performs an action on the shield when it does. This wakes the shield and turns on my tv.

Awesome I need to try this out, is it hard to setup?

Really easy. You’ll need to buy automagic from the play store in a browser then install it to the shield. Hop on over to the shield and open it from sideload launcher (it won’t show up as a normal tile). Then you can use the right stick as mouse control.

Delete the flows it gives you as default, create a new one. First step of the flow should be http endpoint (or similar wording I’m not in front of the shield right now). I’ve specified mine as /netflix/open for example.

The next action on this example is to launch netflix.

You then create a command line switch to curl this URL using a get request. Check the command line switch doco.

That should be it. You can set up an endpoint for any action that automagic supports. And as long as the shield is plugged in via hdmi to a Cec capable tv, when automagic does its thing it’ll wake the shield, therefore also turning on your tv via hdmi. And in my case, my amp also. I’d suggest giving everything a fixed ip in your router.

The voice control part would just use emulated hue to expose the switch, so then you say “turn on netflix” which turns the command line switch on in HA, fires the command to automagic, and voila everything turns on and netflix opens.

2 Likes

awesome, i havent got my shield yet, but this looks fairly easy… Thanks. Im planning to turn on my tv and amp with a broadlink rm pro, so i dont think i need cec, but anyway.

I already have tasker, is it possible to do it with that? Or shall i just spend £2.40 and get automagic?

I’ve not tried it with tasker as it is super simple with automagic and it’s so cheap for the functions you get out of it

thanks… ill just buy it… are there any videos on how to get this working? It would be awesome to be able to follow a video… Im a little confused about what curl and stuff is…

Curl is basically a Linux tool to submit http requests. I don’t know of any videos though I’m planning on starting up a blog soon for all my little home automation experiments so may put something up there once that project gets going. The app should explain itself though and you should be able to simply change the URL from the command line switch examples.

thanks, yeah the blog would be awesome… i still havent got my nvidia shield, so maybe you’ll be done when i get it?

There’s always a possibility!

awesome thanks

Hello .i got the broadlink pro 2017 and Nvidia shield TV old version .is there a way just to turn it on through IR ? How can I add it to broadlink.i be both app the new and the old one…thanks

The old app has a community downloadable shield remote. You’d need to grab the code from there and then either grab the xml and translate it using the tool someone posted in the forums, or set it to learn then fire the code (I think you can set it to learn in ha and fire the code in the app but haven’t tried it).

@Hayman: Check my post here, I explain how to do it through IR. Hope it works out for you !

1 Like

Unfortunately that only works for gen1. Because gen 2 doesn’t have an IR Receiver

ill try it thanks…

i’ve the First Gen