Control Home Assistant devices with Logitech Harmony Elite buttons

Yep I saw that note thanks, so I managed to get Windows running in a VM and downloaded the Harmony Desktop software, but it wouldn’t remove my physical Hue so I ended up completely resetting the hub/remote and starting again. I now have everything added back except for Hue. But it just sits on the “press the button” page indefinitely.

That’s what made me wonder if it was because it’s running in Docker, but I don’t think it matters because both http://my-ip:8300/description.xml and http://my-ip:8300/api/pi/lights return as expected.

My emulated_hue_ids.json returns the one entry, same as https://my-ip:8300/api/pi/lights.

I’ve never tried it but I would doubt that the Harmony Desktop software would run correctly in a VM.

It does seem to work okay, finds everything on my network except the emulated hue. Only thing I can try is to grab my parents’ laptop - only have Macs in my house.

Short of that, though, I’m at a loss. Because it just won’t seem to find it despite the setup appearing to be all okay.

Just noticed this error message in my Home Assistant startup:

Logger: homeassistant.components.emulated_hue.upnp
*Source: components/emulated_hue/upnp.py:133 *
*Integration: Emulated Hue (documentation, issues) *
*First occurred: 8:57:24 (3 occurrences) *
Last logged: 9:01:20

UPNP Error received: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted

Could this be something to do with my issues? Anyone know how to fix the UPnP issue?

I can’t help you with that one, but from my experience emulated hue is quite fussy about it’s environment. Given that you are running HA in Docker with a non-standard port (why 8300?) perhaps you need to try a different approach. Either set up a separate clean HA installation and get it working there first, just to prove that there is nothing else causing your problems.
Or else, you could try BWS Systems HA Bridge. I had this working well with HA, but I didn’t need all the features it offered and preferred the simplicity of the integrated solution.

Ermmm…Harmony Desktop has always had a Mac version, it’s how I configure mine.

1 Like

Port 8300 is the default port for Emulated Hue to run on - I think if you’re trying to integrate it with a voice assistant such as Alexa or Google it suggests using port 80, but other than that, port 8300 is the default port.

I can take a look at HA Bridge and see if it’ll help, thanks.

Since macOS shifted to full 64-bit support the Harmony Desktop software no longer works, as it’s 32-bit. Essentially from macOS Catalina onwards you can’t use it.

Ah…yes, anything after Mojave is best avoided if possible. You could always run a Mojave VM but it probably won’t give any advantage over the Windows one you’ve already got.

There’s some questions here about docker and UPnP - if I remember correctly the discovery mechanism in UPnP uses Simple Device Discovery Protocol (SDDP) which is broadcast based. This means the Ruko and the Laptop with the Harmony software on it must be on the same subnet for discovery to work.

If the emulated Roku is running in a docker container, then the container must use docker’s “Host network”, else it resides on a docker virtual network in a different subnet. This network isolation is part of docker’s security model.

The other way around this is setup a proxy in the docker virtual network and advertise a route to enable discovery to work.

Hope this helps.

For anyone else who googles their way to this thread like I did: I can confirm this method works. I am running HA in a docker container with host networking. I set up the emulated hue in HA to run on port 1080. I connected the Harmony Hub to my server machine with a USB cable I had laying around and then passed the USB device through to a Windows 10 VM. I installed the Harmony desktop software on the VM and told it to add a Hue device. It then found the emulated hue and paired it. All of my existing lights and switches were automatically added, and I was able to program the Harmony’s home control buttons to use the emulated hue lights.

3 Likes

Good to hear. I am trying the same thing, however it is not working on my end. I get to the point where the Harmony Hub discovers the emulated Hue Bridge and I can pair the device just fine, but it cannot find any lights or scenes. Any tips?

Edit: Solved it myself. My emulated_hue was not set up correctly. I had “expose_by_default” set to false which then means no devices are exposed at all. Now everything is working fine.

Thanks @ffm777 and @0x0a11c0de
Mine was also set to false fixed it and after that filtered entity showed up in my Harmony elite.
I have Hyperion and I was looking for to control it via my Harmony Elite remote for a very long time . Though I was trying to edit those buttons via mobile app never thought that desktop app will be different but when I tried via desktop app it did let me add any emulated Hue entity but the trick is to use desktop app mobile My Harmony app won’t let you add these. I have added my Hyperion which works with dimmer and also the fan controls works fine with ‘+’ and ‘-‘ buttons.

I was able to get it working on Home Assistant OS by simply adding

emulated_hue:
  listen_port: 8300
  expose_by_default: false
  entities:
    light.knitting_light:
      name: 'Knitting Light'
      hidden: false

The hub and Home Assistant are on the same subnet and discovery of the emulated hue hub from the Logitech app on Android was trivial.

2 Likes

If a real Hue is paired with the Harmony Hub, pairing the emulated Hue too is not possible, right?

I am trying to control some entities in HA with the Harmony home control remote buttons, but since a Hue is already set up this appears to be the deal breaker; the mobile/desktop app won’t pair another Hue hub.

You can use them as normal buttons OR smart buttons. Simplest way to solve your issue is to control Hue with HA and then HA with the buttons, I use emulated_roku for this.

It used to not work without a physical connection to the hub, but now it works again without a physical connection.

It’s good news. The documentation on HA is out of date.

Do you mean that it now works without an actual Hue Hub? Because I really want this to work :slight_smile:

Yes, without hue hub. After months of working without a hub, then not working without a hub, during the Xmas break, it started working again without a hue hub.

Now my harmony elite can control lights through HA and I don’t have a hue hub.

And now I tried it. Added emulated hue and then did a search for it in my Harmony app (using the hub with companion controller). It still says “press central button” but I waited for 10 seconds and it suddenly was paired! Halleluja :slight_smile: