Control TiVo box over telnet

dear i am not that pro in this,
can you just show me single example to make ith with ui editor

Dear,
i am getting error at using decluttering-card for button and text
I am not using shield tv
can you please guide me to use different label_image and button_image as per general.
Thanks

Here is an example with 3 buttons you can paste in the ui editor.
Use the “manual card” and make shure you have the card “button-card” from HACS installed.

type: horizontal-stack
cards:
  - type: custom:button-card
    name: 'Youtube'
    show_name: false
    show_entity_picture: true
    entity_picture: '/local/lovelace/remote/tv_youtube2.png'
    tap_action:
      action: call-service
      service: androidtv.adb_command
      service_data:
        entity_id: media_player.shield
        command: "am start -a android.intent.action.VIEW -d -n com.google.android.youtube.tv/com.google.android.apps.youtube.tv.activity.ShellActivity"
    styles:
      card:
        - background-color: rgba(56,60,69,1)
        - border-radius: 20px
        - border-style: solid
        - border-width: 3px
        - border-color: rgb(118,185,0)
        - height: 75px
        - padding: 5px
      entity_picture:
        - height: 100%
        - width: 100%

name: 'Netflix'
    entity_picture: '/local/lovelace/remote/tv_netflix.png'
    tap_action:
      service_data:
        command: "am start -a android.intent.action.VIEW -d -n com.netflix.ninja/.MainActivity"
    styles:
      card:
      entity_picture:

name: 'Twitch'
    entity_picture: '/local/lovelace/remote/tv_twitch.png'
    tap_action:
      service_data:
        command: "am start -a android.intent.action.VIEW -d -n tv.twitch.android.app/tv.twitch.android.apps.TwitchActivity"
    styles:
      card:
      entity_picture:

This code will automaticly transform in the ui editor to the new horizontal stack editor, but you can edit this whole code if you press the “Show Code editor” i bottom left corner.

dear thanks for your guidance
can you please explain me how to use decluttering card to reduce no of codes in lovelace file.
thanks in adv.

Hi all,

A change in the structure of the TV Channel Lists site yesterday evening has broken the guide part of the component and is preventing it from working. A quick fix while I look at making the necessary changes would be to edit your config to manually point at an older version of the page. E.g.

- platform: virgintivo
    tivos:
      1:
        name: Virgin V6
        host: TIVO-C68000020000000
    tvchannellists:
      enable: True
      url: https://www.tvchannellists.com/index.php?title=List_of_channels_on_Virgin_Media_(UK)&oldid=65570

Latest release should work with the new structure

Hi all, I know it’s a stupid question, but where can I find a full list of commands that I can send to the tivo box please?

I did a search and checked all the documentation, but couldn’t find anything.

Hi. New user here. Usually I’d battle on with this but I’m stumped. I’ve followed the instructions to the letter but getting this error

Platform error media_player.virgintivo - Integration ‘virgintivo’ not found.

Anyone able to point me in the correct direction please? Thanks!

If you mean what commands the component can send, check out the Services section of the readme.

If you mean what commands you can use yourself via the telnet interface, there is a PDF which documents all this. Do a search for “tivo tcp remote protocol pdf”. It is called “TCP Remote Protocol Version 1.1”.

First off check that you’ve created a folder called virgintivo in your custom components folder and placed the manifest.json and media_player.py files in there.

If you’ve done that, can you share the section of your configuration.yaml where you’ve set up the integration? It might also be useful to see the log, but if it really can’t see the integration at all, there’s probably not much in there.

Hi Bert and others,

Thanks for producing, this is really good. I have managed to get it all up and running ok but the one thing I can’t work out is how you get the channel screengrabs to appear in HA Dashboard? Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks,

Once set up I used the media player card. That refreshes with a screen grab of the show as the background image.

If the TV channel list from tvchannellists.com is still being used then a small change might be needed because they have now put two lists in place (new and old) which would mean at least a URL change if they did not put a redirect in place.

https://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_channels_on_Virgin_Media_(UK)

Does anybody have an idea on how to get the IR Codes?
On the actual remote, if I hold down the power it’ll turn on/off the TV.

I’m hoping to replicate that.

It isn’t IR … it is a radio frequency.
You can confirm by covering the front.
The IR transmitter is used for TV volume control if you have configured it.

The component controls the V6/Tivo box, not the remote. The function you’re describing is done directly by the remote via IR. If you want to control the TV on/off, you’d be better getting a component that controls the TV itself. Or something that can control the TV via CEC.

1 Like

@Bertbert fyi I had a message from TV channel list provider as follows:

Hello,

I remembered your comments here and wanted to let you know that the URL structure has changed a bit. Articles are now prefixed with a /w/ path, eg

• https://www.tvchannellists.com/w/List_of_channels_on_Virgin_Media_(UK)_-_New_Packages (server-side redirect functional)

Meanwhile, static images now use a cookieless domain, eg

• Previously https://www.tvchannellists.com/images/thumb/c/cf/Virginmedialogo.png/180px-Virginmedialogo.png, now https://broccoli.tvchannellists.com/images/thumb/c/cf/Virginmedialogo.png/180px-Virginmedialogo.png (server-side redirect not yet functional)

I haven’t looked into your script, but in case these changes break the script I think it’s worth noting. Thanks and sorry for any inconvenience. –Milan Rađenović (talk)

Thanks Paul. I’ve run my unit test for the channels and it is still working as the original URL still exists. It also works with the new /w/ URL. So for the moment it looks like nothing has changed for us. I’m happy to repoint to the /w/ if we think it is likely to switch solely to this in the future. Or we can leave until something forces a change.

We don’t care about the images bit.

I see (Github https://github.com/bertbert72/HomeAssistant_VirginTivo/commit/7ee39a6a4c37e81224002ab4dce6c5e82eedb6ea ) you have moved away from TVChannelLists.

Had they made a breaking change that was too painful to follow?

Should people who spot channel changes now do a github pull request on the channels.html file or do you have some magic automation running in the background to keep it up to date … or something else?

Their latest change removes the HD/SD information that was a large part of the reason for using that site. Continuing to use their pages would mean doing without that functionality.

I haven’t found any magical other way of doing it though, so if anybody spots a change they should do a PR.

Without enabling Telnet is there a way to change to a specific channel by a script? I have a button and wish to jump to a specific channel?