Convert date and time template

I have 1d 3h 59m?
I want H:M?

{% set myitem = states('replace.me') %}
{{ as_timestamp(strptime(myitem, '%dd %Hh %Mm')) | timestamp_custom('%H:%M') }}
1 Like

thank you

{% set myitem = states(‘replace.me’) %}
{{ as_timestamp(strptime(states.sensor.heure_travailler_par_mois_a.attributes.value, ‘%dd %Hh %Mm’)) | timestamp_custom(’%H:%M’) }} i have that 12:51

{{states.sensor.heure_travailler_par_mois_a.attributes.value}} i have that 1d 12h 52m

can we convert days to hours?

Thanks @petro this is useful!

I’m currently trying to find a way to convert a Life360 timestamp in UTC to something more readable. e.g

To: Sunday @ 12:54pm

First question, can the time be obtained from an an entity’s attribute? In this case, the entity is called device_tracker.life360_name with an attribute called at_loc_since.

I’ve tried this within the template editor but it gives an error:

{{ as_timestamp(strptime(state_attr('device_tracker.life360_name', 'at_loc_since'), '%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S+00:00')) | timestamp_custom('%A @ %-I:%M %p') }}

I’ll keep hunting for answers in the meantime.

TIA!

yours is easier than you are making it

{{ as_timestamp(state_attr('device_tracker.life360_name', 'at_loc_since')) | timestamp_custom('%A @ %-I:%M %p') }}
2 Likes

Cool, found this thread: The EPIC Time Conversion and Manipulation Thread!

By breaking it down in the template editor, I was able to figure out the following:

{%- set good_time_string_UTC = '2018-12-11T12:24:32.00-00:00' %}

Time {{ good_time_string_UTC }}
timestamp = {{ as_timestamp(good_time_string_UTC) }}

timestamp2 = {{ state_attr('device_tracker.life360_name', 'at_loc_since') }}

{{ as_timestamp(state_attr('device_tracker.life360_name', 'at_loc_since')) | timestamp_custom('%A @ %-I:%M %p') }}

Template editor result showed as:

Time 2018-12-11T12:24:32.00-00:00
timestamp = 1544531072.0

timestamp2 = 2020-02-09 14:48:06+00:00

Sunday @ 2:48 PM

Works well like this!

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      life360_name_lastseen:
        friendly_name: "Name Last Seen"
        value_template: "{{ as_timestamp(state_attr('device_tracker.life360_name', 'at_loc_since')) | timestamp_custom('%A @ %-I:%M %p') }}"
1 Like

Thanks for your help and reply Petro, it’s good to know I was on the right track. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, is it possible to do the same thing in javascript by any chance?

Ideally I’d like to convert UTC to a similar output within custom fields in the button card (I came across this post whilst hunting for solutions). Whilst this jinja2 method works well, it would mean creating two sensors for each person (last seen and at loc since), so a neater solution is to convert within javascript.

Happy to bring this up in the button card thread instead rather than hijacking this one (I’ve seen you active in there too).

Thanks.

I have a sensor which reports rain at e.g. 16:25 (HH:MM). I want to compare this with equal or less than states(‘sensor.time’) + 20 minutes, before retracting my sunblinds. I take it that in order to accomplish this, I first have to make a unix timestamp of both and here is where I get stuck. Any suggestions?

Ignore my request. I was too quick. On this excellent forum and thanks to petro, I found the solution: How to trigger automation BEFORE set time?

How can I change the Sun, Mon, …, Sat to German spelling?

Do I need to add “(de_DE)” somewhere in the code next to “%a”?

value_template: >
          {{ as_timestamp(now()) | timestamp_custom('%a %d.%m') }}

Or do I need to add “(de_DE)” in generall settings?

You can’t change the ‘under the hood language’. You’ll have to create a map that links the english to German.

And how can I create a translation map?

I tried with

{% set days = ["Mo ", "Di ", "Mi ", "Do ", "Fr ", "Sa ", "So "]  %}

Full Code:

sensors:
      date2:
        friendly_name: "Datum"
        entity_id: sensor.time
          {% set days = ["Mo ", "Di ", "Mi ", "Do ", "Fr ", "Sa ", "So "]  %}
        icon_template: mdi:calendar-range

Or do you mean to use the replace function? Like for example:

replace("Thu", "Do")

see this post

The config check says: data_template is an invalid option for sensor.template

Do I need to create a service dir this? If so, what service?

sensors:
      date2:
        data_template:
            {% set days = ["Mo ", "Di ", "Mi ", "Do ", "Fr ", "Sa ", "So "] %}

You don’t need a data template, just the value template. Since now() has a weekday() method, you can use that to directly map into a list of abbreviated localized weekday names:

# Abbr. localized date: Fr 31.07.
    sensors:
      date2:
          {% set days = ['Mo', 'Di', 'Mi', 'Do', 'Fr', 'Sa', 'So'] %}
          {{ now().timestamp() | timestamp_custom(days[now().weekday()] ~ ' %d.%m.') }}

We simply prepend the mapped localized day name to the custom timestamp here.

The weekday() method of a Python date or datetime object returns the day of the week as an integer, where Monday is 0 and Sunday is 6. Thus, it can be easily used as a list index for the days list (lists start with index 0).

Here’s a little challenge: Try to rewrite the above so it returns the abbreviated German weekdays plus a German month name, like Fr 31. Juli.

Hints:

• Set up a list called months with the German month names.
  • now() also has an instance attribute called monthnow().month. It returns the month numbers 1–12.
  • Remember, list indexes start at zero.
  • The ~ operator in Jinja (the templating engine) concatenates strings, converting values to type string on the fly.

Have fun!

Edit: Strictly speaking, it is not necessary to update a date info every minute, as we do by specifying sensor.time as entity ID to watch.

So if you have sensor.date defined, use that instead. It will update only once per day, at midnight. This will save another few of the precious CPU cycles … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey so i tried it and got this:

date2:
        friendly_name: "Datum mit Monat"
          {% set months = ['Januar', 'Februar', 'März', 'April', 'Mai', 'Juni', 'Juli', 'August', 'September', 'Oktober', 'November', 'Dezember'] %}
          {{ now().strftime (' %d'), now().timestamp() | timestamp_custom(months[now().month] ~ ' %Y') }}

The problem is it gives me the wrong Month (1 Month ahead) and there are also brackets.
(‘22’,‘Dezember 2020’)
Do you know any Solutions?
I’m new to HomeAssistant and have no idea how to solve it.
Kind regards
Hannes

change to

{% set months = ['Januar', 'Februar', 'März', 'April', 'Mai', 'Juni', 'Juli', 'August', 'September', 'Oktober', 'November', 'Dezember'] %}
          {{ now().strftime('%d') ~ ', ' ~ months[now().month-1] ~ now().timestamp() | timestamp_custom(' %Y') }}

or

{{ (now().timestamp() | timestamp_custom('%d, # %Y')).replace('#', months[now().month-1]) }}
1 Like

Ah ok thank you.

You Sir are THE timestamp template guru!! With the above info I was able to template my lock log sensors’ dates and times!

1 Like