Convert Sonoff To Switch 27vac Solenoid

Wires are correct. First i would change the battery. 2.4V is quite low (nominal is 3V) - is that standby voltage or when the button is pressed? If it’s standby then voltage can drop to almost zero when you press the button if battery is weak.
A voltage, similar to Vbatt is normal to be present on two soldered wires. But, when you activate sonoff it should be zero (because at that time those two wires are shorted via relay).
Test this way: remove battery. Then test for continuity (set multimeter on buzzer) on two soldered wires and press remote’s button - it should be a short circuit. Then activate sonoff’s relay - it should be short again. If so, then these two things are working. Then try with a fresh battery.
Remotes draw quite a current when active. I’ve had experience when newly bought battery didn’t work - it was a cheap no-name one. quite normal 3.1V at standby, but only about 0.2V when button pressed…

In any case, that yellow led must “be alive” when pressed anything…

1 Like

It was the battery! It’s the damnedest thing!!
Also added a 433mhz parallel relay w/remote. So local control via remote is restored with a second back up app control. GD now works like a charm. I have ordered a sonoff door sensor and I will be figuring out how to tasmotize the sonoff and add it to HA. I have no idea how this works, or where to start. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanx!

1 Like

Yep… a pretty common thing. These small batteries have a tendency to show normal voltage at no load, but drop to almost zero when loaded. That’s why i measure them loaded with a resistor valued at 100-220 ohm.
I don’t have experience with sonoff’s door sensor, but if it has esp8266 inside i’d flash it with ESPHome, because i like it more over Tasmota - more control (but harder to program). You’ll see when you get it.

The Sonoff door sensor I ordered is a DW1 433Mhz Door Window Alarm Sensor. I will install it at the top of the garage door, It will connect via the Sonoff bridge to send door operating notifications, possibly trigger an light too. Seen a few interesting ideas, so why not, including a garage door kill switch. This is handy when you are away for sometime.