Converting a MAX! Cube to CUL/CUN to use with Home Assistant

Can this be used without Hassio and just Home Assistant?

If you only use HomeAssistant without HassIO, please follow the guide in the first post.

1 Like

So, iā€™ve everything up and running! Thanks for the tutorial! Once I got HomeGear running, it worked like a charm.

There are two things Iā€™m working on right now, maybe someone has a hint:

• I have rooms with two radiator thermostats. How can I make HomeAssistant automatically set the temperature of the first thermostat, if I change it manually for the second? Solved, see Converting a MAX! Cube to CUL/CUN to use with Home Assistant

• Seems like my MAX! Eco Taster does not pair. Someone experiencing the same? Worked after resetting the Eco Taster.

1 Like

Great so glad to hear you got it all working.

For adjusting the thermostats, what do you use for automations? - built in HA automations or Node Red?

It would be extremely simple with Node Redā€¦ But I donā€™t have experience of built in HA automations much, so not sure on that front.

I just finished up connecting a flow that turns on the heating when at least 2 room are > 1 degree less than the Max! Setpoint for that room.
Once I have the kinks ironed out Iā€™ll post it here.

Iā€™ve mentioned this in the OP for anyone arriving and wanting to try this out.

Thanks for your efforts :smiley:

1 Like

Currently Iā€™m only using build-in automation. I will have a look at Node Red tomorrow, I havenā€™t tried it yet. If youā€™ve an idea how to quick-solve this problem, Iā€™d be very happy :slight_smile:

I think using built in automation, you need something like;

- alias: 'Match Thermostats'
    trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: climate.def54321
    action:
    service: climate.set_temperature
    data_template:
    entity_id: climate.abc12345
    value:   {% state_attr('climate.def54321', 'temperature') %}

I believe this should set device climate.abc12345 to the value of climate.def54321 when it changesā€¦ But Iā€™ve not tested as Iā€™m not using built in automation.

like this the automation triggers with a change in state (def)?

Yes - Iā€™d think so (as I say, Iā€™ve not tested), but from what I can tell looking at the automation docs - that should push the temperature value of ā€˜defā€™ to ā€˜abcā€™ each time the state of ā€˜defā€™ is changed.

Well, i will give it a try.

On the first view i think that influxdb and node-blue is not nessacery in the container and i am also not shure if the /var/lib/homegear directory must also be published to outside of the container.

Greetings from germany
Ludger

The /var/lib/homegear is stored outside the container, but not visible for the user. It is stored in /data, this is the default directory for persistent data for HassIO addons. Is there a reason to make it user editable / visible?

To be honest, I have no idea what influxdb is used for, but it is part of the official homegear docker container. Can you explain what this is used for?

I havenā€™t used Homegear in a while, but the resolvenames: json setting is targeted at people that use the HomeMatic CCU2/3, which exposes a JSON-RPC API. When I was using Homegear it did not have the JSON-RPC API like the CCU.
It should be possible though to set this to resolvenames: metadata (and remove username + password), which then would use the names you set within you manager software (that type of software stores the names in the metadata).

1 Like

In my case, the problem starts earlier. When entering names in Homematic Manager, they arenā€™t even stored in homegear. The names are not displayed on the status website of homegear, neither are they displayed in a second instance of Homematic manager in a different machine.

Thanks for the tip - Iā€™ll try the metadata option out :slight_smile:

If you can verify my statement please consider updating your inital post. From a technical perspective (Homegear from 2017) resolvenames is a non-functional configuration in terms of resolving names. :wink:

Thanks for sharing this and your awesome guide! I have ordered, had delivered, flashed and setup a cube and X1 radiator valve since your first post. Iā€™m also using HomeGear natively on a Linux server.

Seems to be working well so far, looking forward to testing it over the coming weeks.

Out of interest what are you using to control your boiler?

Thanks again for sharing!!

Glad it was of use :slight_smile:
Iā€™m using a Shelly 1 flashed with Tasmota firmware to control my boiler - the relay on the shell closes the thermostat circuit on the boiler so that it knows heat is required.

I then just set my traditional timeclock to ā€˜ONā€™ 24/7 - since the boiler only fires when the shelly circuit closes.

Awesome, thank you.

Do you know if these can be exposed to HA? https://www.eq-3.com/products/max/max-house-solution/max-wall-thermostat.html

Do you know if they will still update the current temperature of the radiator valves with the temperature of the wireless wall thermostat? Or does the firmware break that link?

Thanks

Yes, the wall thermostat should pair OK with homegear.
I have the same unit, but itā€™s sat in a drawer now, since I just use HA to adjust the setpoints instead.

Iā€™d suspect that the wall thermostat wouldnā€™t update the radiator valves by default with the new firmware, but you could easily get it working using automations or node red.

ie. when wall thermostat changed, set radiator x, y and z to the wall thermostat value.

I meant update the ā€œcurrentā€ temp to the sensor value in the wall unit. Can you update the ā€œcurrentā€ temp of the radiator valve as well as target temp?