Converting a MAX! Cube to CUL/CUN to use with Home Assistant

Have you managed to get config writing outside of the docker container for your addon ?

I have cloned the setup from your github but tweaked a few parts as mentioned above so that it works on x86.
However I’m not seeing any of the folders get created in my Hassio /config or /share… looking at start.sh it should at least be creating the directories on startup…

Yes, my linked addon from GitHub stores all data outside the container. It is rebuild and restart safe. As I don’t know what you changed, I cannot say what the reason is, that it does not work for you. Maybe the container doesn’t even start Correctly?

The addon seems to be starting OK - I can access the webserver on port 2001 and the log output looks good.
It just doesn’t seem to map the directories for some reason.

I’ve uploaded the addon files here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/10oPj8Uv-DDWnsJ5Id1W5eSu3J0z_yp3a/view?usp=sharing

But the change was basically to remove the rpi qemu reference and point at debian:stretch as the source on the dockerfile.

I can´t see the max cube in homegear. I can see the max cuns ip adresse and put it in the max.conf but i can´t see it in homegear and i can´t pair my thermostats

@swifty, that is a realy greate tutorial to flash the MAX! cube to CUL. I use MAX! devices for 3 years and for two years i flashed my MAX! Cube. Scince this, the system runs realy create and solid!

This summer i changed my setup from homegear with installed homeassistant and deconz to hass.io on my raspberrypi. The homegear addon for hass.io is no longer supported and can’t be installed. This week i worked on the old Plugin to get it run on the new setup. I Changed the homegear version to the nightly 0.8 and use debian instead of raspbian. Now it works great for me.

1 Like

@kreativmonkey Very nice - would be great if we could have a homegear addon that supports all platforms.

I’m not so familiar with the internals of addon creation, do you know is it possible to have some logic in the dockerfile & start script that handles different platforms? or is the only option to have separate addons per platform?

@weber114 Sorry for the delay… was busy and meant to come back to your message but forgot! - Have you solved your issue?

No sadly i can’t connect to any of my devices.
They are not showing up in homegear.

Ok - please give us some detail on where you have got to in the guide, and what exactly you are seeing.

• Does homematic manager connect to homegear correctly?
  • Can you get through the pairing process successfully using homematic manager?

It’s connecting to the homegear server. And i am able to start pairing mode. But nothing shows up.

I’m not sure i am setting the configuration file up correctly. I sit possible to see if homegear detects the CUL?

11/14/18 11:20:23.269 Could not connect to socket. Error: No such file or directory
11/14/18 11:51:09.970 Could not connect to socket. Error: No such file or directory
11/14/18 11:51:12.001 Could not connect to socket. Error: No such file or directory
11/14/18 11:59:48.588 Could not connect to socket. Error: No such file or directory
11/14/18 11:59:50.612 Could not connect to socket. Error: No such file or directory
11/14/18 12:58:01.006 Could not connect to socket. Error: No such file or directory
11/14/18 12:58:03.142 Could not connect to socket. Error: No such file or directory

This is from the homegear-management.err

How are you running homegear ? - docker, local install, hassio etc…?

And what platform are you running.

I would guess from that log that the homegear instance cannot talk to the cube, so you’ll need to give us some information on your setup (IPs, config file entries etc…)

I running a NanoCUL pluged in the USB on a raspberry running homegear.

_This is from my max.conf file

---------------------------------- MAX! ----------------------------------

#######################################
########## General Settings ##########

[General]

moduleEnabled = true

The MAX! address of Homegear. It is recommended to change this to a random 3 byte hexadecimal

value starting with 0xFD (e. g. 0xFD43AB). Only change this, when no MAX! devices

are paired to Homegear as existing pairings will not work anymore!

centralAddress = 0xFD35AB

################# CUL #################

The device family this interface is for

#[CUL]

Specify an unique id here to identify this device in Homegear

id = MAX-NANOCUL

When default is set to “true” Homegear will assign this device

to new peers.

default = true

Options: cul, coc, cc1100

deviceType = cul

device = /dev/ttyACM0

Should be “40” for MAX!

responseDelay = 40

This thread is for converting a Max cube into a CUL / CUN so you may be better off starting a new thread to keep things clean.
I haven’t connecting via serial over USB (as per the guide i’m using the IP connectivity to the cube).
Have you confirmed the NanoCUL is actually detected at /dev/ttyAMA0, or maybe it’s a permission issue accessing the port ?

I start with CUBE. Couldn’t get that working, so bought a nanocul. How can i check that its detected at /dev/ttyAMA0 ? i can try with the Cube, if that is better.

If you have the cube then you could go with that, start the guide from the top and follow each step precisely.

There are various checks in the guide to make sure things are working correctly - let us know which step you get to when things start to go wrong… then hopefully we can figure out what the problem is.

If you want to stick with the nanoCUL it is probably worth posting on the homegear forum, as I have no experience using the serial connections with homegear…

Thank you very much for the guide.

I’ve just finished re-re-re-configuring the cube before my wife gets home (close one this time!). I’ll do this tomorrow and hope fully it will work. It’s also good to know that we can keep the old functionality of wall thermostat + radiator pairs since i got a couple of them…

I’ll update tomorrow with the (hopefully) good news…

One question though… what’s the downside of no-credits firmware? More battery usage probably… Anything else?

Yes - I guess battery life is probably impacted a little, but probably negligible since the thermostats only send when they need to anyway (ie. when the valve position changes).
Also if you have LOTS of RF devices, I guess your airwaves could be busier and temporarily block signals, but again probably not an issue for most people.

I’m using Homegear (in Docker on HassOS), but with a Cube für MAX! and a nanoCUL for HomeMatic. For the nanoCUL I’m using a responseDelay of 95. By the way, the adress of my USB nanoCUL is /dev/ttyUSB0 and not /dev/ttyACM0. Maybe, you should check this.