Could use some guidance with HASSIO and Docker please

Got Docker up, Pulled HASSIO, Home Assist running in Docker Desktop - can’t access Home Assistant

It is installed on a Mac M1.

I have Code Red up and running in docker and working with another IOT Hub.

Want to see if I can migrate to Home Assistant.

Docker is showing it running - but can’t access it at 127.0.0.1:8123

Any idea on how to set Home Assistant to use port 8123 - I am using the now native Docker Desktop.

Thanks

that is an internal IP. You have to look at the IP, your Mac has on the home network, i guess…

The Mac ethernet address is 192.168.1.36 and I tried 192.168.1.35:8132 no joy.

As far as I can tell when starting the Hassio image it says no external port assigned and has nowhere to assign the port numberScreenshot 2021-12-15 at 16.03.40

What install method did you use? It doesn’t sound like you’re using a supported install

If you are trying to install the full HASSIO (OS+Core+Addons) on a mac you need to use a VM. The only way you can install Hassio supervised is if you install it on Debian.

You can’t install Home Assistant in docker on windows or a mac on docker desktop because they don’t support host networking mode (only linux installs of docker install host networking mode), and if you went the “home assistant container” route, you would not have the OS or addons, and only the core version of home assistant. I run Home Assistant container installed on a MacMini that dual boots between ubuntu and MACOS. It only runs when I am in Ubuntu though. If I boot to MacOS the Home Assistant instance is not loaded.

Aha

Ok this is on an M1 Mac, chosen because it is incredibly powerful AND is an extremely frugal energy user.

It already runs Plex, Sonos, Indigo, Channels 4 channel DVR, plus a load of other Home services.

I was hoping to use it for Home Assistant as well.

I went around a lot of circles to follow the Install Home Assistant guide - all failed for an M1 Mac - so tried Docker as I am already using Node Red on it.

So took the Home Assistant Container route.

If there is an easier/better way to do it - I am really keen to run Home Assistant on the M1 Mac as it is always on and very economical to run - just went though an exercise moving to it and reduced power by 3kW per day :slight_smile:

You could install virtualbox and run a basic Debian in it.

Virtual box does not work on M1 :frowning:

Did find this as a way forward

If you’re trying the Home Assistant container route on a mac you can specify the port mapping by using the port option instead of specifying host network mode. This isn’t supported though and you will lose network discovery, so many integrations either will be harder to setup or won’t work at all. Some do it this way though without issues (depends on what you are connecting to Home Assistant).

Not too familiar with docker desktop for mac, but on a linux machine you would create the container with a command like this:

docker run -d \
  --name homeassistant \
  --restart=unless-stopped \
  -e TZ=MY_TIME_ZONE \
  -v /PATH_TO_YOUR_CONFIG:/config \
  -p 8123:8123 \
  ghcr.io/home-assistant/home-assistant:stable
1 Like

Thanks - it looks like the way forward is for Parallels/debian and then Home assistant on that.

Will give me the all round better experience.

Thank you everyone!!

2 Likes

Oops! Sorry. I use Parallels myself and it works well.