Couple buttons, boxes, and an automation, basic first steps :)

Hey all :slight_smile:

I’m looking for some super simple to understand steps to make couple simple boxes in my Home Assistant, I just need them to be working, as simple as possible, I’ve done a bunch of research online and most of the tutorials are pretty advanced with code writing and stuf, I’m sure I will get into that but at the moment I just need couple things to run so that my girlfriend stops giving me the looks because she was unable to work for 4 hours yesterday because of a turned of smart socket ( jep just a press of a button away ), and the whole apartment being dark because of closed blinds…

1 - How to make a box that shows only the opened windows, like the text shows, there are 3 opened windows, and when I click on it, it shows like a small extra box with the info about the opened windows ?

2- How to make 4 simple switches, to open all blinds, another to open only selected blinds, and the same for closing, close all, close the selected ones ?

3- A simple Automation that starts smart socket when the humidity reaches 65% and is off when it’s under 55%

These are like the things that give me the looks at the moment, there are a bunch of other questions but they don’t have the girlfriend look priority so I’m just opening another topic on them

And just to make clear, I’m into learning all the stuff and so on, but I’m like on my day 3 using pc and Home Assistant so baby steps with baby instructions please.

At the moment I’ve fixed the mistake using ZHA and went to the Mott or something like that thingy ( not at home at the moment of writing :smiley: ), and added all the sensors and devices + trying to understand dwane 3.0 and mushroom dashboard things, since I want to build something that I wouldn’t need to rebuild after couple months like I did with ZHA thing, but at the same time, start without using the ya… code thing :slight_smile:

I’m not a native English speaker so sorry for any mistakes and as always for my posts, just be active, polite and helpful, please :slight_smile:

You will need to provide more information about your blind entities for 1 & 2. You will probably want to use a custom card like Fold Entity Row

trigger:
  - platform: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.humidity
    above: 65
    id: 'on'
  - platform: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.humidity
    below: 55
    id: 'off'
condition: []
action:
  - service: switch.turn_{{trigger.id}}
    target:
      entity_id: switch.smart_socket

you should probably start with picking one of those and show what you’ve tried so far.

I know it goes against the popular thought but in any capable home automation system you are not going to be able to get away from “the coding and stuff”.

1 Like

Ok and now please explanation for really dumb ones, I have the code ( thank you ), what next ? :smiley: could I just use the template boxes for that ? As I’ve answered one other comment here, I just need 3-5 things just to work so that the household isn’t a total mess like now, and I can start learning all the stuff and create a usable desktop :slight_smile:

As I’ve stated previously I’m totally into learning all this stuff but I need couple
Things to just work from the get go so that my whole household doesn’t have to suffer from me trying all this out … the plan is to have like 3-5 things done and then I’ll just create another home screen where I’m trying to build everything from ground up, but the house has to run in meanwhile

Go to the Automation Editor and create a new automation

In the top right corner you will see 3 dots which will open a menu, select “Edit in YAML” and paste in the automation from above. Make sure to change the entity IDs for the humidity sensor and smart socket to match those of your devices. Press “Save”

What do you mean by “template boxes”?

In the meantime… make sure you read:

Getting Started Automating
Understanding Automation Basics
How to Help Us Help You

1 Like

It’s been a while, sorry for the huge holdup.
The solution was Apple :smiley:
I used the home app, it took me like two hours or so to go through all the setup but after that the 3-5 automations were super easy and worked like a charm.

If anyone is having the same issues like I had, I would definitely give it a try, but be careful and don’t skip the initial setup in Home App

As for now, the home app has been emptied, have way more automations running in Home Assistant itself, but so far I’ve used only the UI and not YAML, so there is still a long way to go, but baby steps to the win :smiley: