Create helpers in automation

Is it possible to have an automation that creates input.booleans ?

You mean a blueprint?

Do you mean “create a helper” or “change a value of a helper”?

If you mean can an automation programmatically create an Input Boolean entity, the answer is no.

Home Assistant doesn’t offer any service calls for creating other entities. The closest approximation to that capability is via MQTT Discovery. It allows a script or automation to create various kinds of MQTT-based entities like light, switch, lock, sensor, binary_sensor, etc (but not an input_boolean).

What about a Spook integration, does it allow to create helpers?

I don’t know. Does it?

Why do you want to - what are they for? There is a example out here somewhere that lets you create and use a kind of variables. Do you actually need them to be input helpers?

i have 2 helpers that saves me the energy used and produced a month. So I made 24 for a year… Each end of the month an automation writes value to those helpers. That is ok for 2024

But now I have to make 24 helpers for 2025, 24 for 2026 etc.
If i could make an automation that creates each end of the year those 24 helpers…

Make two utility meters with a monthly cycle and give each a state class.

Euh :face_with_peeking_eye:
I am not that advanced in HA. I will do some research and if i dont understand Ill ask you

If you want to just retain the values, and don’t have a need to use them in HA after they’re stored, a simpler solution might be to just send an email with the values using the SMTP integration.

The energy dashboard will show you daily, weekly, monthly, yearly energy use and production and will enable you to compare two periods based on history the Home Assistant keeps for you. You just need to configure it with the right energy sensors.

Utility meters are entities you can create in the helper section that also allow you to see these kinds of information. You can create graphs based on their history. So there’s no need to create helpers in bulk for that.

1 Like

Do you have some documentation to read about it ?

1 Like

Not possible for the reasons I explained in my first post.

Anyway, there are better ways to solve the problem you are facing.