Create repair issue for low battery

Right now it’s possible to create an automation to detect and notify you about low batteries. But if you swipe away the notification you don’t know which batteries you still need to charge or replace.
So it would be great to have some kind of to-do for that.
I think the repairs are the best place for that. When you have one repair issue for each battery that is low then you can easily see what you have to do and fix it.

:battery: Lovelace: Battery state card - Share your Projects! / Dashboards & Frontend - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)
You can use the notification and an action to go to the card

1 Like

You can use alerts rather than notifications.

1. You can “acknowledge” them
  2. They are binary sensors that will switch off after the condition (e.g. “battery < xx %”) is resolved, so you use, e.g. auto-enetities to show/hide them on your dashboards.

Lots of example in the forum, but I personally implemented the below, and it’s working very fine

2 Likes

That’s already possible, not native but rather with Spook. Nifty little integration, that offers a lot of useful tools, that didn’t make it into core HA. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh thank you, that’s nice! I’m gonna do that :slight_smile:

I still hope it’s gonna become a native feature as battery warnings are quite basic for smart home systems and should not require everybody to set it up themselves in one of the many different possible ways.

I doubt it ever will for the following reasons:

1. Repairs are currently meant for system level issues (integrations, operating system, etc) as opposed to entities.

2. As mentioned above, you can use the Spook custom integration to create a repair notification for entities with a low battery level. Spook was created by frenck, an employee of Nabu Casa and a long-standing, prolific contributor to Home Assistant’s evolution. Spook was described as containing features and services that are unlikely to be included natively in Home Assistant. If frenck wanted to introduce it as a native feature in Home Assistant he would have but he did not.

Yes and no :laughing: I can perfectly understand, why you would want this as a native feature, but I can see as well, why it’s not coming or better why it is outsourced to a non-official (as in “not HA core”) repository/integration.

There are so many different opinions on battery alerts, as we can see on the sheer endless possibilties, that have been shared by so many people.

I for one am now again changing my battery warnings for the fourth time. I used to use the Spook integration for that, but only for the last four or five months (maybe less). Before that I had a custom made solution with persistent notifications. Thanks to @koying I started yesterday to setup the alert like the guide he posted the link to above… That is what I was unknowingly searching for. :slight_smile:

Repairs are in theory a great idea, but they are more backend than frontend. Batteries are things, that could be changed by a user of my HA installation. Backend things normally aren’t. I’d need to send users to the backend and let them check for repairs, that doesn’t make sense for my installation. I’d rather have them send a notification and show it on the dashboard. But that’s me, and how I’ve setup my HA installation.

In the end it’s what we all like HA for: it’s a highly customizable system, where one can decide on how to go further. :slight_smile: :+1:

2 Likes