Creating alert with data about disconnected/non responding battery devices

Well, about 90% of my sensors are battery powered, I advocate for efficiency most of the time, but at a point where efficiency costs convenience or risks bugs, it simply doesn’t worth it.
I am running Home assistant on a VM on a strong machine, If needed, I can throw more resources at it but right now, it doesn’t go passed 5% CPU so I can probably run it on a much weaker machine.

I am coding a smart-home that works, with minimal intervention of my behalf. I had 4 different smart-home platforms over the passed 17 years (I started with X10). reporting devices and sensors health is a huge part of a functioning system. it deserves the resources and not having to update scripts when adding new sensors is important for future-proofing your smart home setup.

As I explained, it’s entirely possible to create a self-updating group that permits the Template Binary Sensor to monitors only battery-powered sensors; it works with minimal intervention on your behalf. Aside from improved efficiency, it offers the versatility and convenience of a group (of all battery-powered sensors) that can be referenced by other Template Sensors, automations, etc.

The concept of self-updating groups gained more interest when, several versions ago, Home Assistant lost default groups like All Lights, All Switches, etc. The belief was that many users didn’t need the default groups so the development team felt they introduced needless overhead. For the users who did use the default groups, the technique I described manages them without the bother of manual maintenance.

FWIW, my first foray into home automation employed X10 ActiveHome software which I replaced with MisterHouse for awhile. I also experimented with HouseBot (and a few others) but ultimately chose Premise back in 2007. I have been using it ever since; Premise and Home Assistant work together to automate my home. My so-called legacy devices, for which no integrations exist in Home Assistant, continue to be managed by Premise and exposed to Home Assistant via MQTT.

1 Like

Glad to be speaking to a fellow smart-home veteran.
My current set up is a Lutron Homeworks system that I installed 15 years ago, it is hard-wired to every outlet and every light at my house, it still works and the web interface I wrote for it works as a great redundancy when everything else fails (as more complex systems sometimes do).
I wrote Telnet-MQTT-WebAPI bridge for it and brought it with me to my next set ups: alexa, apple homekit, smartthings and now home assistant.
The rest of my smart network is a mesh of zigbee sensors, broadlink remotes, some raspberries and arduino based projects that controls locks, irrigation and a bunch of APIs for every device at my home that supports any kind of connectivity.
My latest and proudest is a smart grill I built with a blow fan and sensors to control the fire temperature.
I am migrating all of the above to home assistant because I want local execution, for security, future proofing, internet connection independence, and faster response times.

How long have you been working with home assistant? You seem to know your way around the framework and templating.

I just confirmed that the proposed group-based technique works fine on startup.

The following automation creates group.battery_powered and populates it with all sensors whose names end with “_battery_level”. It does this on startup and whenever Reload Groups is executed (more triggers can be added).

- alias: 'Create Groups'
  trigger:
  - platform: homeassistant
    event: start
  - platform: event
    event_type: 'call_service'
    event_data:
      domain: 'group'
      service: 'reload'
  action:
  - service: group.set
    data:
      object_id: battery_powered
      name: 'Battery Powered'
      entities: >
        {% set ns = namespace(sensors = []) %}
        {% for entity in states.sensor if entity.entity_id.endswith('_battery_level') %}
          {% set ns.sensors = ns.sensors + [entity.entity_id] %}
        {% endfor %}
        {{ ns.sensors }}

The Template Binary Sensor now monitors fewer sensors. The for-loop statement is reduced to:

{% for entity in expand('group.battery_powered') %}

Like so:

battery_devices_issues:
        friendly_name: 'Battery Devices Issues'
        device_class: problem
        value_template: >-
          {% set status = (state_attr('binary_sensor.battery_devices_issues', 'status')) %}
          {{ status.empty|count + status.dead|count > 0 }}
        attribute_templates:
            {% set ns = namespace(empty = [], dead = [], low = [], good = []) %}
            {% for entity in expand('group.battery_powered') %}
              {% set name = entity.object_id[:-14] %}
              {% set level = states(entity.entity_id) %}
              {% set changed = states['sensor.'~name~'_temperature'].last_changed %}
              {% if changed != null %}
                {% if level == 'unavailable' %} {% set ns.empty = ns.empty + [name] %}
                {% elif now() - changed >= timedelta(hours=2) %} {% set ns.dead = ns.dead + [name] %}
                {% elif level|int < 40 %} {% set ns.low = ns.low + [name] %}
                {% else %} {% set ns.good = ns.good + [name] %}
                {% endif %}
              {% endif %}
            {% endfor %}
            {{ "{{\"empty\": {}, \"dead\": {}, \"low\": {}, \"good\": {} }}".format(ns.empty, ns.dead, ns.low, ns.good) }}

I joined this community forum in October 2018. At the time I was experimenting with openHAB (for several months). I decided I preferred something that behaved more like Premise so I began exploring Home Assistant. As I slowly became comfortable with it, I took my time to carefully transfer/convert what I had created in Premise to Home Assistant. I waited until Home Assistant’s UPB integration was finished before transferring control of all lighting. I don’t recall when Home Assistant was no longer in “test” but in “production” in my home but it’s between 1 and 2 years now.

In Premise, I developed several integrations notably for the ELK M1 security panel, Environment Canada weather service, HAI Omnistat2 RC-2000 thermostat, etc. Most of my work is posted on the Cocoontech.com site (best home automation community back in the day; now just a shadow of its former self). The last one I created (early 2018) was an MQTT integration to allow Premise to communicate with other systems. That’s when I started dabbling with openHAB followed by Home Assistant in late 2018.

What I haven’t mentioned is that development of Premise was halted in 2006 and the product became freely available to the public (original price was over US$1000). I jumped on board in 2007. It’s a testament to its advanced architecture that users were able to continue enhancing it even though it remained closed-source.

Anyway, all ancient history now.

I rather think of it as evolution. Some of the dinosaur code I wrote is still running. :slightly_smiling_face:

BTW:
Just a suggestion, I won’t be implementing groups, but if I had, I would have used your automatic group technique to create groups for each battery state “dead”, “good”, “low” & “empty”.

That’s inadvisable because the group’s membership is defined exclusively at the moment the group is created. If a sensor’s battery status changes afterwards, it won’t be reflected in the group’s membership. A Template Sensor is better suited for the task because it listens for state-changes (for all entities detected in its template).

I suppose one could use an automation to monitor all battery-powered sensors then update the groups whenever a sensor changes state. However, the automation’s trigger would have to explicitly list each sensor and that fails to meet the objective of avoiding manual maintenance (i.e. if you add a new battery-powered sensor you’ll have to manually update the automation’s trigger).

Are you sure it can’t be done with a template trigger somehow?

If you know of a way to do that, I’d like to see how.

Template Trigger

Well, I am just learning the framework and already moved on to the next task in a loooooong ToDo list.

However, it feels like Template Trigger is a good hook, you just need to figure out the right template.
can’t you parse the status attribute of our battery_devices_issues for changes?

Review the documentation’s description of what a Template Trigger’s template must do in order to qualify as being a trigger. It’s not merely state-changes (like a State Trigger).

I read it and still thinking it is possible.
working with only a boolean expression is not ideal, but is possible.
The “boolean state” you need to track is:
Is there a change to the battery_devices_issues (our binary_sensor) status attribute.
I am not familiar with the framework as you are, but it sounds like you just need a place to store state and compare changes. (throwing ideas: maybe another attribute inside battery_devices_issues ,maybe another sensor that turns on if there are changes and turns off again, then you can just pick it up in any automation trigger)
I worked on systems far less capable than Home Assistant, (one had only boolean variables to use for states) I still managed to build around the restrictions, you just need to think out of the box and willing to invest long hours.

If the goal is to use a Template Trigger in an automation that update the groups for battery-powered devices, the template can’t be based on “our binary_sensor” because that’s already computing empty/dead/low/good devices which obviates the need for creating groups.

If “our binary_sensor” relies on group.battery_powered, it also cannot be used for the Template Trigger because then it becomes a chicken-egg scenario.

A Template Trigger evaluates a template whenever any of the entities within the template changes state. However, it’s not the entity’s state-change that causes the trigger (it only initiates evaluation) it’s the result of the template’s evaluation that determines if it should trigger or not. That’s what the documentation means when it describes the template evaluating to true/false.

A State Trigger triggers when any of its entities changes state. Period. However, you cannot use a template to dynamically generate the list of entities to be monitored by the State Trigger; you must specify them individually. As mentioned previously, that doesn’t meet the goal of eliminating manual maintenance.

There’s also the Event Trigger. It can be configured to trigger on any state-change for all entities or a specific domain (and other variations). The catch is that it introduces precisely what a group was originally used to avoid, namely avoid constantly monitoring the activities of more entities than is necessary.

No, the goal is having a way to automatically create groups of battery powered devices by their battery status.

• You can use the sensor I wrote to create these groups.
  • You can also not use my sensor, only the template I wrote and use it to create\update the groups.

This discussion is stretching for too long, I don’t mind ending it with a disagreement.

The sensor already contains the information that the groups would contain. The groups would duplicate information that already exists. It also strays from the original discussion (which is fine but makes it challenging to follow the conversation’s direction).

This discussion, about using a group, started in this post where I suggested using a group as a means to reduce the number of sensors to be monitored by the Template Binary Sensor. I subsequently supplied the means to do it.

You replied:

I won’t be implementing groups, but if I had, I would have used your automatic group technique to create groups for each battery state “dead”, “good”, “low” & “empty”.

To which I explained it was inadvisable because the technique I proposed only creates them at startup/reload. It would need a trigger that monitors each battery-powered entity’s state … which brings us back to manually maintaining a State Trigger (which is undesirable and negates the advantage of a self-updating group).

You suggested maybe a Template Trigger could be “somehow” employed (except it cannot). Then you proposed the binary_sensor itself could trigger the automation to create the groups but that’s, depending on how you look at it, redundant or circular (redundant because the groups would simply duplicate the binary_sensor’s existing information; circular if the binary_sensor itself relies on a group).

Anyway, I agree the discussion is getting long in the tooth. Good luck.

This is true if you intend to use the group only for notifications.
Groups are also useful in the UI, this is why I suggested the split in the first place.
If you don’t have a use for it, don’t implement it.

I’m not sure how you are using the term “notifications” in the context of this discussion because it has special meaning in Home Assistant (Notifications). Perhaps you meant “for triggers”?

A group definitely has a purpose in this context because, as demonstrated above, it limits the number of battery-powered sensors to be monitored by the Template Binary Sensor.

However, creating groups based on the Template Binary Sensor’s attributes is, as mentioned, redundant. In addition, its value in the Lovelace UI is dubious because an Entities card only displays the group’s state. In this case, the group’s state would always be unknown because a group cannot report the aggregate state of sensor values (it’s designed to show the aggregate state of binary_sensors, lights, switches, etc but not sensors).

Buddy, you keep forgetting that I am only writing Home Assistant code for 2 weeks and keep scolding me about terminology.
We have been chatting for a while and I haven’t heard a single good word from you and the entire discussion felt argumentative.
Might I remind you that you ended up using my solution, you contributed a bit to making to more efficient and shorter and I expressed my appreciation many times here.
One kind word makes a difference.

If you review my posts, all focus on the technical aspects and strive to clarify Home Assistant’s concepts. None come close to scolding or arguing for argument’s sake.

Everything I wrote was done in good faith to help a new user who, respectfully, is not yet well-versed with Home Assistant.

To be clear, I have no personal need for this binary_sensor. If you check my posting history, my interests in this forum are to help others resolve technical problems. It usually involves creating and/or refactoring code in the interests of efficiency and to leverage Home Assistant’s strengths.

One kind word makes a difference.

No unkind words were spoken, only technical guidance to steer you clear of making mistakes. However, you have interpreted my involvement as ‘scolding’, ‘argumentative’, failing to offer ‘a single good word’.

If that is your honest assessment then I have wasted my time here. I won’t make that mistake again. Best of luck to you.

1 Like

This was my first post here. I have no knowledge of the forum’s history and your involvement.
I made it clear that I am new to Home Assistant, but every post I wrote got diverted from intention to technical terminology nuances, it felt like talking to a chatbot without knowing the correct operating commands.
Though I am new to Home Assistant, I have a vast programming experience (25+ years), this discussion was difficult for me.
My original question wasn’t resolved by anyone but for the sake of good forum etiquette, I posted my solution and replied in good manners a lot after resolving the issue that initiated my post. I figured I was helping you with a feature you liked and wanted to give back some ideas in return for your assistance.
I truly appreciate your refactoring. I mentioned my appreciation in many words.

A word of advice because you obviously care about this forum and this community.
you shouldn’t assume that everyone automatically knows your intentions, your forum history or knows the right terminology as well as you. especially new members.
Some leniency towards terminology mistakes had made a huge difference. If you truly did not understand the intention, you can ask for clarification.
I wish you all the best, every good community needs people like you.