Crest smart plugs

Has anyone used these plugs?

Usually I like tomuse the tp p110 but at half the price I am curious about these and if they work just as well.

I have similar ones bought from Kogan several years ago and I was able to flash those OTA using Tuya-Convert and have Tasmota running on them.
I just got two of these as BigW have them for sale at $10 each but being newer firmware, they are not able to be flashed OTA using Tuya-Convert. They were able to be setup in the Tuya app.
I then set them up in LocalTuya and they are working ok so far.

For LocalTuya, the DPS values are as follows:

DPS 18: Current (mA)
DPS 19: Power (W) with scaling factor 0.1
DPS 20: Voltage (V) with scaling factor 0.1

Just picked up a couple of these on a recent BigW special and there are no screws, they seem to be ultrasonically welded but have managed to get one open without destroying the case.

The WiFi module is an ESP8285 based TYWE2S so is suitable for ESPHome.

I will confirm that the pinout on the Tasmota site is still valid in a few days.

Edit: The version I have has power monitoring but no USB ports

do these need to use tasmota and mqtt to integrate into ha, or will a skyconnect adaptor work?

this is a new area for me so I am a bit lost as to how to connect them :slight_smile:

Out of the box, they are Tuya based can will work in HA using the Tuya Cloud based integration. They also work via Local Tuya but that does take a little work to get fully configured.

They may be able to be flashed with Tasmota or Esphome but I don’t believe that can be done OTA anymore with the newer Tuya firmwares. To flash the newer Tuya versions requires disassembly.

They are wifi based and not zigbee so a SkyConnect adaptor is not required.

I flashed them with ESPHome but you could use Tasmota if that’s your thing.

They need to be pulled apart to flash then via serial first and are a bit of a pain to get into but it is possible without destroying them

thanks both for your responses, I have gotten this working!

next step will be to look at flashing+esphome :slight_smile:

Any tips on opening these up without destroying the case?

I used a set of multi-grips with tape on the jaws and squeezed along the long edge. When you hear the weld break use a thin metal spludger to open the case.

There are a few scratches on my one but it is not really noticeable when in use.

No luck for me in flashing these via serial, possible bad connections in my soldering. The COM port was detected, but suspect I was not able to get the ESP to enter flashing mode, checked the IO0-gnd connections a few times and reversed the RX/TX pins but gave up.

I think I had to remove the TYWE2S module to flash it as the Rx pin is used by the plug.

I had another crack tonight. Got there eventually, bad soldering job was the culprit. My eyes aren’t what they used to be.
Considering the effort needed to open them up and solder the pins, it’s a tough call as to whether it’s worth doing it… anyway I’ll do another one when I feel motivated enough.