Custom Component: ABB/Power-One/FIMER PV Inverters - SunSpec Modbus TCP

If you have the registers map you could read the values directy via modbus integration from HA, is a PITA because you have to map every single parameter but it’s better than nothing and, I think, an easier task than modifying existing Sunspec implementation to fit your inverter map.

My 2 cents…

Hi fabyano,

yes these is was I’ve done now, after checking the implementation of alexdelprete.
It was much easyer to use modbus directly for the interesting parameter.

VSN300 was no option it will be available again by end of the year, maybe…

Thanks

Hi, I have an aurora abb pvi-12.5-tl-outd-fs and can read everything through modbus TCP, but we have a dynamic energy contract and would like to adjust my solar power output of the inverter to 0kW when there is a negative price (we have to pay to send energy back to the grid). I don’t want to use a relay or anything to de-energize the inverter. I have been able to get this working on a SolarEdge inverter, now I need to get this working on an ABB inverter.
Anyone know if you can the power output using modbus TCP?

AFAIK there’s no way of changing the injection policy of the inverter via mod bus.
On my system the setting must be changed via web gui logged in as admin user.
Don’t know if there are exposed API’s that allow this.

You should ask to Fimer support service if there is some way to programmatically change the policy.

Hi!

I have bought a house recently with a REACT2-5.0-TL installed by the previous owner. So far the integration works great but I can’t manage to get battery data from it. I read through most of this thread. The current configuration is base address at 40000. I get a lot of data but sadly nothing about the installed battery.

I am a little bit lost here and don’t know how and where to continue. Any help much appreciated!

By the way, I tried to get support through GitHub (Sign in to GitHub · GitHub) which lead to a dead end. Just fyi.

Thank you!

Hi,
I have the same inverter, with 2 battery pack. I used Alex integration in the beginning, but I choose to switch to REST API integration for my plant due to some problems I had (related mostly to poor wifi coverage in the inverter area, not Alex’s precious work).

You can try it on your inverter, It should have the same references in the REST JSO as mine so it should be pretty simple to use, take a look here:

Hey! Thank you so much!

I’ve setup the new sensors using the REST endpoints. When I check the entities all the data is displayed right as expected. Sadly I can’t setup those new sensors as data inputs for the Energy dashboard. I can’t find them there.

Do I have to setup additional helper sensors that accumulate the sensor readings? I read something about this in some other approach.

Yeah, sorry, my bad. It’s the problem of the DIY and not using a fully build integration :slight_smile: The one retrieved by the API are the power values only (W). You need to convert the proper ones to Energy values (Wh, via platform/integration) to be able to pick 'em up in the Energy Dashboard, something like this

sensor:
  - platform: integration
    source: sensor.generation_to_battery
    name: battery_charge_energy
    unique_id: battery_charge_energy
    unit_prefix: k
    round: 2
    method: left

source: sensor.battery_to_house
    name: battery_discharge_energy
    unique_id: battery_discharge_energy

source: sensor.generation_to_grid
    name: injected_energy
    unique_id: injected_energy

source: sensor.grid_to_house
    name: imported_energy
    unique_id: imported_energy

source: sensor.generation_instant_output
    name: overall_solar_energy
    unique_id: overall_solar_energy

source: sensor.generation_to_house
    name: autoconsumed_energy
    unique_id: autoconsumed_energy

The examples you provided don’t seem to work for me to calculate battery discharge and charge values correctly. I did find out that sensor.battery_instant_power_flow from your example, which uses PBat from the JSON source, is basically what I need.

The value is negative when discharging from battery and charging when it’s positive.

I just can’t wrap my head around how to write a riemann sum for this to integrate that into the energy dashboard.

What is the problem with my sensor definition?

PBat as you say is positive when charging and negative while discharging. Given that we are speaking of power and not energy you need to create 2 different sensors derived from PBat,

• one that is positive while charging and null while discharging
  • one that is positive (absolute) while discharging and null while charging

and that is exactly what the template definition in my configuration.yaml do (brutally copied from @monkeypr00f Nodered Flow).
Having these “rectified” values you can now do a simple integral/reimann sum and derive energy values.

Hey, sorry it took a while for me to answer. Was busy with some stuff.

I just want to share how I got it working in my case. I use the REST API to create two sensors for my battery for incoming and outgoing power. As for solar energy production, I use the before used sunspec integration and simply created a riemann sum helper sensor.

Thanks @wrongisthenwright couldn’t have done it without your help! <3

rest:
    resource: http://IP/v1/livedata
    username: "myusername"
    password: "mysupersecretpassword"
    authentication: basic
    scan_interval: 60
    timeout: 30
    sensor:
      - name: "Battery Charge Total"
        value_template: >
                {% for point in value_json['BATTERY-ID']['points'] %}
                        {% if point.name == 'ECharge' %}
                        {{ point.value/1000 }}
                        {% endif %}
                {% endfor %}
        device_class: energy
        unit_of_measurement: kWh
        state_class: total
      - name: "Battery Discharge Total"
        value_template: >
                {% for point in value_json['BATTERY-ID']['points'] %}
                        {% if point.name == 'EDischarge' %}
                        {{ point.value/1000 }}
                        {% endif %}
                {% endfor %}
        device_class: energy
        unit_of_measurement: kWh
        state_class: total
sensor:
    source: sensor.inverter_dc_watts
    name: solar_energy_production
    unique_id: solar_energy_production

Hi, i think you are italian, I would like to talk with you in italian, may be in private.

So, this is an international comunity, i must to speak english.

…I have a powerone (aurora) inverter connected via rs845 and a wifi module called Elfin W11.

You think i can use your integration for to connecdt? I tried, but fallied… thanks!

Ciao Alessandro.

If you read more carefully the readme in the repo, my integration is based on the SunSpec register map, so it requires a VSN300/VSN700 card in the inverter. Those cards translate the Aurora native protocol in SunSpec, they act as protocol gateways.

If you want to use your Elfin, you will need to use the native ABB integration, but it will only provide you with one sensor, the production.

I would advise you to purchase the VSN300 card, first check if your inverter supports it.

thanks, the native abb integration, The only one i found is for a cable configuration. I don’t know if there is one for elfin ew11 wifi. The vsn300 card is more expencive for a old inverter…

the price of the vsn300 doesn’t depend on the inverter model. you can find it for 120-140.

elfin ew11 15 euro…
I don’t spend that money In a old installation (up 16 years old)
may be 4 years and I change all my photovoltaic system
…naturally if i could to configurate one or any sensor with my ew11 i’m satisfied…

Im not an expert like Alessandro, but if I googled correctly ew11 is nothing more than a rs485 to wifi adapter. It exposes quite a lot of protocols, but basically you should be able to connect to it via modbus native integration.

see here for the basics:

Obviously you must adapt the code to reflect you inverter register map, not thesimplest thing in the world but doable if you find the inverter manual/register map with addresses.
In this way you should be able to gather all the metrics your inverter exposes over RS485.

Alessandro can correct me if I’m wrong…

I think it’s what i did. or rather, what I tried to do.
unfortunately all the sensors created do not give values ​​or rather “values ​​not available”
so, I definitely did something wrong. At a certain point I thought that maybe that configuration might not work with my inverter.
finally, contrary to what you think, I am very ignorant on the subject. In Italy they say: I’m groping in the dark. Thank you for your reply.

this is a work witch is out of my capacity.

could this be it?