Custom Component - Adaptive Cover

Thank you very much. So I guess I have not set up the integration properly. I will go back and will reread it.

I am excited to announce a new release that introduces support for illumination and irradiation thresholds. These features are available exclusively in climate mode. Along with weather conditions, these thresholds enable the cover to return to its default position if any of the three parameters fall below their set limits. However, if the maximum comfort temperature is reached, the system will prioritize keeping external heat out of the room.

1 Like

Iā€™m a great fan but after updating from 1.2.2 to 1.3.0 my complete cover system was broken. The covers does open and close without any planā€¦ i removed the complete integration and after new installing and new config they did the same stupid things.
Actual i removed evrything and wait for the next updateā€¦ sadly i had no backup from haos with adaptive cover 1.2.2 :roll_eyes: clearly my fault.
Maybe i didnā€™t understand the 1.3.0 logicā€¦
Greatings

1 Like

Hello, Iā€™m a little confused about the setting the maximum open for a shade.
I have it set like so:

But when allowing Adaptive Cover to take over, itā€™s opening all the way to 100%.

Iā€™ve tried inverting the controls, setting the transparent option, and both of those options at the same time.

1 Like

@muzzy and @ShooterQ

V1.3.0 introduced a small bug where all states were rendered inverse.

This release fixes it!

4 Likes

Good to know, thanks. This is my first time experimenting with Adaptive Cover so I assumed I did something wrong. Looking forward to it.

Im Impressed!!! Thankyou. I will install the integration again and test it. :blush::slightly_smiling_face:

I have seen several requests to introduce a minimum value. As the implementation methods can differ I have started a discussion on Github to discuss possible implementations. Feel free to contribute your use cases and/or opinions.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a small problem with the integration.

I have set the ā€œMinimum position adjustmentā€ to 10% and ā€œMinimum interval between position changesā€ to 15 minutes but it is actually doing very small steps. Judging by the sound of the motor they are just 1% corrections every 15 minutes.

I have tried using above settings and also tried by removing the value in the minutes field hoping that it would force the configured percentage setting but with no luck.

I can set the interval to 60 minutes to have less movements but if I can do something to else to fix this Iā€™m happy to hear.

Both conditions need to be true before the integration sends a service call to the cover. So small corrections cannot be true if you have set the minimum to 10%.

You can always create an issue on the Github page providing the diagnostics and run some debug logging form the integration page.

Love the addon. I must have something setup wrong, after sunset my blind closes to 15% open (blind mostly/ 85% closed) but I expected it would open up all the way to 100% open.
I have:
default position - 100%
max position - 15%
sunset position - 100% and no offsets

do I have something backwards?

Maximum position implies that the position can never be larger than that value, so that means that a default value of 100 is also kept at the maximum of 15%.

This feature was introduced to prevent certain type of blinds to fully open, like roman shades.

Thanks, I was not using that setting correctly

Hi there. first of all, I love the idea of this integration. This is exactly what I tried to achieve manually with the covers in my office to prevent direct glare. Also defining the windows with the azimuth orientation and view angles is amazing.

Most likely itā€™s a user error but the way I would like to implement it is using only the climate function for most of the covers, only in the office Iā€™d like to use the additional glare protection. Today I had it running for the first time and experienced the following issues which I canā€™t explain:

1. Even though it was raining all day (also correctly stated by the weather entity) and the outdoor temperature was lower than inside it lowered all the curtains when the sun was in front of them.
  2. It automatically closed the covers at night but still triggered a ā€œclose to 0%ā€ call at every 10 min. I now set the end time to 10 pm to allow for manually opening the shades at night to cool down the place during summer and to stop this behavior but I doubt itā€™s intended that the call is sent repeatedly even though the target percentage didnā€™t change.
  3. My cover do not linearly scale the postion from 0 to 100 %. The first x percent of opening only open them up with little gaps (like pretty much all standard covers in Germany) and only after the complete cover is extended they actually open. Therefore the maths donā€™t add up. It would be great to define the percentage range that actually moves the cover from top to bottom.

Is it possible to setup this integration for my use case and to deactivate the ā€œglare reductionā€ for rooms that donā€™t need it?

Glare reduction is the main goal and therefore also part of the algorithm for climate mode, although itā€™s only used by presence.

The integration checks wether every assigned cover is already at the target position, but if you do experience issues with feel free to create an issue on github with some relevant debug logs.
On the other hand if the cover is not at the target position the integration can send a call at each update of the coordinator, which does not necessarily imply a change in the calculated position.

The integration has an interpolation function where you can map covers that do not follow a linear 0 to 100 scale to that scale.

Thanks for the reply. Then Iā€™ll have to run a seperate series of automations for the ā€žkeeping the heat outā€œ task instead and will try to set this one up only in my office.

What I still donā€™t understand though is that weather is ignored for the glare reduction. The weather is ā€žrainyā€œ itā€™s colder outside than inside and the covers still close.

Hi,

Testing this integration which looks very promissing.

I have a question tho

I setup the integration so it will update the cover positin every 10min,

However, when the covers are fully opened, I can hear my relay clicking very often.
How can I prevent the integration to try to open my covers so often, especially ehn the covers are already open?

Thanks!!!

should be fixed in the next update I think: Add check to never run call if already in correct state by basbruss Ā· Pull Request #231 Ā· basbruss/adaptive-cover Ā· GitHub

An idea just hit me. I have a door with a roller shade that covers it. The shade itself is attached to the wall. In my current automation, which works well but isnā€™t as smart as adaptive cover, if the door is open, the shade cannot be commanded to drop down.

Could Adaptive Cover include something like that where you enter the door sensor as a Condition of Boolean to prevent dropping the shade on an open door?

As it is, I can change my automation turn off Adaptive Coverā€™s control when the door is opened, but Iā€™m unsure how long it takes to re-adapt once I turn it back on with the door closed. If instant, I have to use a manual timer for this; something else thatā€™d be nice to put directly into Adaptive Cover.

ETA: Another idea borrowed from my own automation would be a variable timer for the manual override. Perhaps two fields, one for after sunrise and one for after sunset.

Not sure if I canā€™t find it, or if the feature isnā€™t there, but after the sun has passed my window, I want the cover to go back up again. See in my instance the azimuth of the window is 150 degrees. With FOV of -90 and +90, at azimuth > 240 degrees, the cover should go up/open again. Is this feature in the code?