[Custom component] AsusRouter integration

With the current integration you certainly could have a button to shut down your Wi-Fi entirely, but this will affect all your devices, including your tablet with your HA dashboard.
You can always have a Wi-Fi network for Parents, another one for your IoT devices, and one for the kids, so you will have plenty of controlā€¦ this is all supported by your router, and you will be able to control all of this (turn-on/turn-off the individual networks) from Home Assistant.

And looks like v0.12.0 will give you more control for each device connected to your network, but this is still classified info, so you will have to talk to @Vaskivskyi. He is the only one who knows about future hereā€¦ :smiley:

Separate networks is a great ideaā€¦ tons of work to implement though; having over 100 devices. Thanks for the idea, certainly something to consider.

@Vaskivskyi I understand 0.12.0 is classified, but any thoughts on about when it would be made available? Trying to weigh out whether I should implement separate networks as suggested or wait for the next release which will give me what Iā€™m looking for here without having to change around my network infrastructure.

So was digging through the documentation and found this: Parental control | AsusRouter

Looks like there supposedly IS a ā€œdevice_internet_access serviceā€. I tried setting up a button for a device in lovelace (reference type:button section at the bottom):

type: entities
entities:
  - entity: device_tracker.test_device
  - type: divider
  - type: attribute
    entity: device_tracker.test_device
    attribute: ip
    name: IP
    attribute: mac
    name: MAC
    attribute: internet_mode
    name: Internet Access
    attribute: last_activity
    name: Last Activity
  - type: button
    icon: mdi:power
    name: Control Access
    action_name: state
    tap_action:
      action: call-service
      service: device_internet_access
      data:
        entity_id: device_tracker.test_device
        state: false

however when I test clicking this button I get: ā€œfailed to call service device_internet_access/undefined. required key not provided @data[service]. got noneā€

Am I missing some element in data that this service needs? :flushed: noob here, this is the first time Iā€™m trying to do anything with services.

Hey, @TekDad,

The requested feature (allow / block internet access per device) is really coming in version 0.12.0. And the documentation does already include the description (I have published it yesterday). Please, note that each feature has the minimal integration version specified.

0.12.0 will be released in the following 48 hours (the last tests are almost over) and afterwards you will be able to use the new service. I will also publish an example YAML of how to implement it.

1 Like

Oh I see ā€œAsusRouter >= 0.12.0ā€ - I was jumping the gun a bit. lol. Love the integration, canā€™t wait for v12!

:mag: Per-device internet control is coming to AsusRouter (using the parental control feature of routers)!

Including a binary_sensor / switch for the global parental control (on / off) with a full list of rules via the list attribute.

Plus new service asusrouter.device_internet_access to create a block rule, disable or remove it.

Here is a small example of how to use it:

Button for a device internet control

Change {connected_device}, {device} and the mac value for the ones you need.

switch:
  - platform: template
    switches:
      internet_{connected_device}:
        friendly_name: Internet/{Connected Device}
        unique_id: internet_{connected_device}
        value_template: >
          {% set ns = namespace(
            mac = "01:23:45:67:89:ab"|upper,
            list = state_attr("switch.{device}_parental_control", "list"),
            internet = true
          ) %}
          {# Find whether #}
          {% for element in ns.list %}
            {% if element.mac == ns.mac and element.state == "block" %}
              {% set ns.internet = false %}
            {% endif %}
          {% endfor %}
          {{ ns.internet }}
        turn_on:
          service: asusrouter.device_internet_access
          data:
            entity_id: device_tracker.{connected_device}
            state: disable
        turn_off:
          data:
            entity_id: device_tracker.{connected_device}
            state: block

Alternative - you can set the service state to remove instead of disable - this way rule will be removed from the list, not just disabled. Might be useful in case you are on the limit of the number of rules (32 / 64 depending on the router model).

:books: Other changes

• Device-related events are getting connection_type and guest attributes.
  • The same attributes are added to the device list of connected_devices sensor.
  • The new documentation is added to the integration.
  • We are finally changing the last place not to use the correct AsusRouter naming - in the integrations list (it was still ASUS Router there).
  • Deprecated asusrouter.service_reboot is now removed.

:loudspeaker: The new version is available in HACS in 3ā€¦ 2ā€¦ 1ā€¦ Now

Release 0.12.0 :mag: Per-device internet control / parental control and new documentation :books: Ā· Vaskivskyi/ha-asusrouter (github.com)

:beer: Want to support the development? Help me with getting an additional device for all the needed tests or Buy Me a Coffee

3 Likes

Sounds great!
But sadly ā€œUnknown errorā€ for me when configuring the integration. I might try on a clean HA installation later.

disregard, router restart and able to configure now.

1 Like

A bug fix for users of 3- and 4-band routers (with 5 GHz-2 and 6 GHz networks) - the connection_type attributes should work well now.

Release 0.12.1 :bug: Bug fixes and small improvements Ā· Vaskivskyi/ha-asusrouter (github.com)

I am sorry for when some bugs are happening to the users. Unfortunately, this can occur with the features, not supported by my test device. I am trying to fix all the bugs reported as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Oooof. So excited v12 came out - My Enable/Disable toggles are now working per device!

Here is what I have:

type: custom:collapsable-cards
title: 'Ryan: Mobile'
cards:
  - type: entities
    entities:
      - entity: device_tracker.ryan_s_note20_3
        entity: device_tracker.ryan_s_note20_3
        attribute: connection_type
        name: Connection Type
        attribute: ip
        name: IP
        attribute: mac
        name: MAC
        attribute: internet_mode
        name: Internet Access
        attribute: last_activity
        name: Last Activity
        attribute: rx_speed
        name: Inbound Speed
        attribute: tx_speed
        name: Outbound Speed
        icon: mdi:power-on
        name: Enable Access
        action_name: toggle
        tap_action:
          data:
            entity_id: device_tracker.ryan_s_note20_3
        icon: mdi:power-off
        name: Disable Access
        action_name: toggle
        tap_action:
          data:

I then tried to use the code snippet you provided in post [Custom component] AsusRouter integration - #211 by Vaskivskyi

switch:
        - platform: template
          switches:
            internet_device_tracker.ryan_s_note20_3:
              friendly_name: Internet/device_tracker.ryan_s_note20_3
              unique_id: internet_device_tracker.ryan_s_note20_3
              value_template: >
                {% set ns = namespace(
                  mac = "aa:11:aa:22:aa:33"|upper,
                  list = state_attr("switch.device_tracker.ryan_s_note20_3_parental_control", "list"),
                  internet = true
                ) %}
                {# Find whether #}
                {% for element in ns.list %}
                  {% if element.mac == ns.mac and element.state == "block" %}
                    {% set ns.internet = false %}
                  {% endif %}
                {% endfor %}
                {{ ns.internet }}
              turn_on:
                data:
                  entity_id: device_tracker.device_tracker.ryan_s_note20_3
              turn_off:
                data:
                  entity_id: device_tracker.device_tracker.ryan_s_note20_3
    show_header_toggle: false

This didnā€™t change anything in my lovelace card, I get no syntax errors, but I also dont get any button or control displaying to allow me to control internet access to the device. Not sure exactly what this snippet of code is actually supposed to do.

Would be AWESOME if I could just create a profile button for each child which when toggled would enable/disable internet for ALL of their devices, instead of having to control each device individually with its own lovelace card.

Hey,

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for my late feedback.

It is true that my router IP doesnā€™t change so Iā€™m gonna use the IP.
For the local DNS, what do you use and where is it installed? Iā€™m using Adguard Home directly on my Asus AX88U router installed with amtm and it works nice, though Iā€™m not sure that itā€™s the fastest way to answer DNS requests (other way would be to install Agdguard on my home server and foward all DNS requests to it but kinda afraid of having a lower bandwith for my other stuff like the cameras, etcā€¦).

Other question, Iā€™m using wireguard VPN on my asus and amtm. Do you think possible to add in your addon some switches to turn on/off the wireguard item, check the status, check amtm/addon upgrade and launch said upgrade (might be too hard for the last one since some addons ask for some user input)? Iā€™m willing to add some monitoring of my servers and all in HA and the router is a good idea, specially to reset wireguard in case the status is down (sometimes happens when my other router is down).

Thanks again!

anyone have any idea if or how to get the following:

tap_action:
          data:

to support multiple entities? Maybe something like this:

tap_action:
          data:
            entities: 
              - device_tracker.ryan_s_note20_3
              - device_tracker.ryan_laptop_work

Currently the proposed ā€œentitiesā€ does not work, doesnā€™t cause any errors, but never actually changes the state of internet access to either of the 2 devices defined.

Not an expert in this but think you need entity_id instead of entities in your second code snippet to allow for multiple entitiesā€¦

yeah I tried that, you get a 'duplicated mapping key ā€™ syntax error when you include more than 1 ā€˜entity_idā€™.

1 Like

Figured it out - for those looking for similar functionality.

1. Create an automation for Enabling Internet and for Disabling Internet (2 automations)
    1a. Click ADD ACTION (you do not need to set up triggers or conditions unless you want to)
    1b. Choose the service: AsusRouter: Device Internet Access Control
    1c. Enable Entity and choose the appropriate device
    1d. Choose the appropriate state. Block to block access, Disable to grant access
    1e. Create additional actions with the above steps for each of the devices you want to include in the single button click from lovelace

(in my setup above, I have 2 devices being controlled in this individual automation. I have another automation with the same settings, just a different state of ā€˜disable ruleā€™ which is used to enable internet access to the same 2 devices)

2. Create a button on your lovelace dashboard for enabling and disabling internet (2 buttons)

**Enable Code**
type: button
show_name: true
name: Enable Internet
show_icon: true
icon: mdi:account-check
show_state: true
tap_action:
  service: automation.trigger
  service_data:
    entity_id: automation.internet_grant_ryan

**Disable Code**
show_name: true
show_icon: true
type: button
name: Disable Internet
icon: mdi:account-cancel
show_state: true
tap_action:
  service: automation.trigger
  service_data:
    entity_id: automation.internet_block_ryan

This gives me 2 functional buttons, which when clicked will either enable or disable internet access to both my cell phone and work laptop.

I plan to replicate this so that I have an enable button and disable button for each of my children so I have single click access to turn internet on/off for their groups of devices.

@Vaskivskyi awesome integration!

5 Likes

Hey there,

Yes, it is really only possible currently to enable / disable a single device internet access. I will try to implement such a possibility for multiple devices at the same time since this feature is apparently needed for your use cases.

Please, allow me time till the end of the week. This would require changes both to the integration and to the backend library. But I will try my best to do it faster.

@TekDad,

I like your latest idea with automation! It will really work this way and can be used until the multiple-device control feature is added to AsusRouter.

Also, the YAML snippet I provided was to create a template switch for single-device internet access.

@matssa,

I am using Pi-hole in my network - so it also has static DNS rules for the local network. It runs on the central smart home device (not a Pi :slightly_smiling_face:) together with all the other services and software. The router does specify it as the only DNS server for all the connected devices. I personally donā€™t like the idea of running DNS on the router. And for me it would anyway not work well - my only router is used for tests of this integration - so all the settings are regularly reset.

I am quite sure, you would hardly notice the difference between traffic and efficiency for DNS queries device-router and device-router-DNS. So if you are fine with it - keep it as it is on the router. If the router is struggling because of DNS (high CPU / RAM usage) - move it. But with RT-AX88U there is enough horsepower.

As for the second part, I cannot yet guarantee any Merlin-only features, since I need to first find out how exactly it works. AsusRouter uses HTTP API, so it can only poll and command over the available API endpoints.

On the opposite, WireGuard is available with the new Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.388.xxx That one will definitely be implemented. But there is no defined timeframe yet.

Sorry if I am not replying immediately. AsusRouter is my free-time project. Free time is not always available during working days. But all the questions and any issues will be addressed.

1 Like

The per-device internet access management is great! Thank you.

Question - As I am using an older device, RT-AC68U, the memory seems to fill up fast through general use, and I need to occasionally (every week or two) log into the router through SSH to run a command to clear it up.
I realise I can schedule the command on the router directly with a cron job, but if I could send a command to the router from Home Assistant then that would be a much better way to go, as the cron job command itself will also consume some of the router memory.
Would it be possible to have an AsusRouter Service, whereby a telnet command can be sent to the router?

For anyone interested the command is:

for line in `nvram show | grep ^[^=]*=$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done; nvram commit

You can always call the ssh command from HA to remotely run your code as part of an automation, right?

That sounds like what I am trying to do, yes.
Is this the method what you are describing?
Sound like I will need to bring keys across or something to that effect. Not impossible but a bit of an uphill battle for me.

Hey,

AsusRouter is using HTTP API and does not have access to the shell. It can, of course, set NVRAM values (and can set them as empty), but it cannot unset (at least from what I know about. I can check it in more detail, but I would be surprised if such functionality is possible - unsettling NVRAM values might get users into an entertaining journey of recovering everything :slightly_smiling_face:

P.S. Does your device has so little memory, that you can noticeably gain by removing empty values?