2023-02-03

:octopus: GitHub change log ←open in new window

:bug: Bug fixes

• Fixed warning on HA 2023.2.x

:books: Documentation

:coffee: Support AsusRouter

:star: Vote to add AsusRouter as native Home Assistant integration

2 Likes

Sorry for the very noob question. Is there a way to display the latest devices connected (preferably) with ip address or device name on lovelace card?

Hey, @Tismo,

Yes, you can do it using e.g. flex-table-card. In this example, the data is sorted by the connection time attribute (by the hidden 1 column)

Code
type: entities
entities:
  - type: custom:text-divider-row
    text: Last 5 Connected Devices
    align: left
    card_mod:
      style: |
        h2.text-divider span {
          background: #1A1A1A;
        }
        :host {
           height: 0px;
         }
  - type: custom:flex-table-card
    sort_by:
      - list-
    entities:
      include: sensor.rt_ax88u_latest_connected
    columns:
      - data: list
        modify: x.connected
        hidden: true
        name: ' Device Name'
        icon: mdi:devices
        modify: x.name
        name: ' Address'
        icon: mdi:ip-network
        modify: x.ip
        name: ' Type'
        icon: mdi:wifi-arrow-up-down
        modify: x.connection_type
        name: ' Time'
        icon: mdi:clock
        modify: |
          var date = (new Date(x.connected)).toJSON();
          var dateRegex = /^([\d-]{10})T.*$/
          var dateData = dateRegex.exec(date);
          var timeRegex = /^.*T([\d:]{8}).*$/
          var timeData = timeRegex.exec(date);

dateData[1]+" "+timeData[1]
    card_mod:
      style: |
        ha-card {
          background: none;
          padding: 0px;
          spacing: 0px;
        }

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your hard work on the integration and your support.

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue: :loudspeaker:

2 Likes

0.19.0 :earth_africa: Port forwarding

2023-02-05

:octopus: GitHub change log ←

:lock: Requirements

• Minimum Home Assistant version bumped to 2023.2.0

:rocket: Features

• Finished code optimization to fulfil most of the HA Core requirements
  • Added Port forwarding features (feature request #136):
  • Added Media bridge mode (feature request #494):
    • The mode supports all the features of the Access point, but creates device trackers only for devices connected via wire

• Added new Port forwarding documentation
  • Updated supported devices

:package: Dependencies

• Bumped asusrouter library to 0.20.0

:hammer: Other changes

• Refactored all the integration code

:open_book: Did you know?

• In 7 days (next Sunday), it would be exactly 1 year since the first version of the AsusRouter backend library was released. Celebrating soon :stuck_out_tongue:
  • There are already 723 active AsusRouter installations as per HA Analytics
  • We already got 82 votes to add AsusRouter to HA Core

• Do you want more features to be added to AsusRotuer? Some of the features require an additional testing device. You can help me in getting one → via Donate on Buy Me a Coffee service

Also:

2 Likes

I have an automation showing a notification when devices not in my whitelist reconnects. The notification includes IP, name, mac, connection_type and guest. Yesterday I suddenly got 3 notifications with ‘None’ as IP, ‘8C:86:1E:xx:xx:xx’ as name, ‘8C:86:1E:xx:xx:xx’ as MAC and guest as False. image

This got me startled for many reasons:

1. I can’t remember anyone using an Apple device on my network ever (Google says 8C:86:1E is Apple).
  2. It was not connected to my guest network. All my visitors use the guest network.
  3. Why did it say None instead of showing IP and MAC address both as name and MAC? It was also not long enough on my network for me to actually see it being connected in router web page. Even though it notified me 3 times within an hour.

So… any ideas? :slight_smile:

Automation
alias: "Notify on reconnection to WiFi"
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: asusrouter_device_reconnected
  - platform: event
    event_type: asusrouter_device_connected
condition:
  - condition: template
    value_template: >-
      {% set allowlist = state_attr("sensor.asusrouter_allowlist", "list") %}

{% set name = allowlist | selectattr('1', 'eq',
      trigger.event.data.mac.upper()) | map(attribute='0') | list | first |
      default(none) %}

{{ name is none }}
action:
  - service: notify.persistent_notification
    data_template:
        {{trigger.event.data.ip}} | {{trigger.event.data.name}} |
        {{trigger.event.data.mac}} | {{trigger.event.data.connection_type}} | {%
        if trigger.event.data.guest == True %} Guest: Yes {% else %} Guest: No
        {% endif %} 
      title: A device has reconnected to WiFi
mode: queued
max: 100

Hey, @Quacked,

That’s strange, but here are a couple of things which I can explain from the AsusRouter point of view:

• When the user provides no name for a device and the device itself gives no name, the name has the same value as mac - that is the feature of the library to avoid missing names and related issues.
  • Absence of the IP can be explained by the fact, the device did not really connect to the network - either did not provide the correct password or just did not finish auth process. This would explain why it only notified in AsusRouter but you did not actually see it in the connected devices list in the Web UI - that was hit and run only, not an actual connection.

Actually, if you live in some neighbourhood where your WiFi coverage extends your property, and your network is not hidden - that might happen - some devices like to scan available networks around in order to check whether they can be used before the user actually tries to connect.

I would say, that is the most convincing explanation. If the device would actually connect - it would obtain an IP address and would probably send its name - e.g. Apple sends at least iPhone/iPad and so as a generic name if not other set by the user.

But you might want to watch your network just in case.

Thank you. I assumed the event required an authenticated connection and not just an attempt of one. Is it possible to identify if it is actually able to connect so I can have a separate notification for that? I live in an apartment building and I guess there will be plenty of times where someone tries to login to my WiFi by mistake (I prefer not to hide SSID).

I saw a brief appearance of an unexpected MAC address recently. Discovered that it was for the wifi interface of a mesh node. Weird thing is that that node is connected to the main router by ethernet (wired) so I wouldn’t expect its wifi interface to try to connect to the main router.

@Quacked, actually it just notifies of any device, that the router has added to the list of connected. Why it does things in this way I don’t know. Actually, if you would be lucky, you would also see it in the Web UI - the source for data is the same as AsusRouter is using

You can update your automation to ignore devices without IP - that would avoid such cases as you had

@spry-salt,

Yes, AiMesh nodes are actually trying different connections from time to time. Especially if wired backhaul is 1 Gb/s and wireless can go faster

Hi there @SpicyLimes. Could you post the yaml for this setup? Thanks in advance!

@Vaskivskyi thank you for all your work on the integration!

I’ve had it working for 2 days, and then after rebooting my Home Assistant, I’m now getting errors on this only:

Logger: homeassistant.config_entries
Source: custom_components/asusrouter/bridge.py:459
Integration: AsusRouter (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 7:18:53 PM (3 occurrences)
Last logged: 7:21:22 PM

Error setting up entry 192.168.1.1 for asusrouter
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 382, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
  File "/config/custom_components/asusrouter/__init__.py", line 26, in async_setup_entry
    await router.setup()
  File "/config/custom_components/asusrouter/router.py", line 748, in setup
    await self._init_sensor_coordinators()
  File "/config/custom_components/asusrouter/router.py", line 980, in _init_sensor_coordinators
    available_sensors = await self.bridge.async_get_available_sensors()
  File "/config/custom_components/asusrouter/bridge.py", line 241, in async_get_available_sensors
    SENSORS: await self._get_sensors_ports(),
  File "/config/custom_components/asusrouter/bridge.py", line 505, in _get_sensors_ports
    return await self._get_sensors(
  File "/config/custom_components/asusrouter/bridge.py", line 459, in _get_sensors
    data = await method()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/asusrouter/asusrouter.py", line 1223, in async_get_ports
    return await self.async_get_data(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/asusrouter/asusrouter.py", line 1120, in async_get_data
    await self.async_monitor(_monitor)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/asusrouter/asusrouter.py", line 443, in async_monitor
    result = process(raw, time=monitor.time)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/asusrouter/asusrouter.py", line 640, in _process_monitor_ethernet_ports
    data = raw["portSpeed"]
KeyError: 'portSpeed'

Some assistant would be amazing.

Many thanks.

Hey, @hk21x,

It seems, that one of the API endpoints (the one reporting LAN/WAN ports status) is not responding. That happens with some devices. You can try rebooting your router and then reloading integration - it should work again

Of course, this is not a fix, but a shortcut. I will fix the code producing the error and it will be released in the next integration update (sometime this weekend)

I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue

Rebooted. You’re a superstar - thank you.

1 Like

The latest features are amazing, the port forwarding service call is exactly what I have been looking for. I have tried it out and adding port forwarding rules works well, I even have a template value that will add the external port of my phone as it changes. One question though, I cant seem to get the remove service call to work. Are there specific values it requires, I tried using the exact same values in the “action: set” and just changed it to remove, I also tried just using the port forward name but the rule still remains. Any guidance would be appreciate.

service: asusrouter.port_forwarding
data:
  action: set
  ip: 192.168.1.XX
  protocol: TCP
  port: 8089
  ip_external: "{{ states(\"sensor.XX_phone_public_ip_address\") }}"
  port_external: "8089"
  name: Auto SIP WS

data:
  action: remove
  port: 8089
  ip_external: "{{ states(\"sensor.XX_phone_public_ip_address\") }}"
  name: Auto SIP WS

Hey, @vijaykbhatia,

In principle, it should work with just the following:

data:
  action: remove

→ this is the minimum required parameters for remove

Actually, if you have only a single rule for an IP address, you can use the remove_ip action:

data:
  action: remove_ip

→ this will remove all the rules for the selected IP.

P.S. The name value is not checked, since it is not actually required and is not a unique parameter of the port forwarding settings.

If it still does not work, please check the log for errors/warnings after calling the service. If needed, please open an issue on GitHub with the info about your device and the log

Thanks this worked a treat. I did find however there must be some rate limit as calling multiple changes through an automation would create problems. I just added a few second wait between service calls.

1 Like

:cake: AsusRouter

Today is the first Birthday of the AsusRouter Python library. The first release was published on 12.02.2022. This was a long and quite productive journey and I hope that AsusRouter will continue growing further.

By the way, the AsusRouter library was downloaded more than 17K times in the last month! :medal_sports: AsusRouter integration is currently installed in 754 HA instances reporting to Analytics.

:wine_glass: Cheers!

0.20.0 :cactus: Port Status

2023-02-12

:octopus: GitHub change log ←

:warning: Deprecation warning

• Sensors lan_speed and wan_speed are deprecated. They will be removed in version 0.22.0. Please, use the new sensors port_status_lan and port_status_wan

:rocket: Features

• Added new Port status sensors (LAN - port_status_lan, USB - port_status_usb, WAN - port_status_wan), reporting more information on the physical ports connections. The feature is fully supported by FW version 388.x. With older versions, new sensors might reflect fewer data (mimicking deprecated lan_speed and wan_speed sensors with the new format). More details on the new features

:bug: Bug fixes

• Fixed bug in the backend library causing errors when device API stops reporting some information (report #C471)

• Updated supported devices

:package: Dependencies

• Bumped asusrouter library to 0.20.1

:hammer: Other changes

• Improved code typing
  • Sorted integration manifest to fulfil the latest HA requirements

Monetary support:

• You can make a donation using the Buy Me a Coffee service
  • Thinking of buying a new Asus router to use with AsusRouter integration? Check the compatibility list in our Docs. If you will use any of the Amazon Associate links, I might get a small (1-3%) bonus from Amazon (usage of the associate links does not change the price of the items for you)

Non-monetary support:

• Star AsusRouter repository
  • Know a person with an Asus device using Home Assistant but not AsusRouter? Let them know, AsusRouter is cool and has lots of useful features

:open_book: Our progress on the way to HA Core

We have already received 90 votes. Add your one. More votes we get, the more chance that HA developers will notice it and give a review to the PR in the HA Core repository, which is required to add AsusRouter into Core.

2 Likes

Congratulation(HBD) from Northern Europe, and huge thanks for your great work :+1:

EDIT: And cool to see the Lan-Ports, and USB-Port, thou as it’s states of a value in a list in attributes, im lost … i have no idea how to get there, ive’ tried with various attributes-cards … thou seems like one have to use a template-sensor, for showing those states … would be great if you have any good ideas/card tips for that

EDIT: Never mind, problem solved :wink:
13.02.2023_11.50.20_REC

1 Like