[Custom component] AsusRouter integration

Router Asus RT-AC68U + RT-AC66U B1 AiMesh.
Update time 15s
I have provided all this information on github including the fw version like many others.

:loudspeaker: Small announcement

Currently, some work is ongoing on the backend library to make it simpler, faster and more stable. As soon as it’s ready, it will be added to the integration. A couple of things in the new backend:

• Simplified communication with a device, allowing sending fewer requests and as a result using less processing time on both sides
  • More efficient data querying from and pushing to the device and better data processing
  • Other small features and bug fixes that might not be important for all the users, but will definitely improve user experience for some

P.S. Work on improving device tracking is also ongoing. But since it’s not only a problem on the library/integration side, but also on the device side, it’s not as easy as it looks like. I’m trying to find a way to both make it work well and also make it work the way your device won’t be only spending 100% CPU on making sure devices are tracked properly

6 Likes

i have some automation (like garage door opening) when my phone connects to router.
I think both AsusWRT and AsusRouter do a poll, so the response is not instantaneous (depending on poll interval). Reducing poll interval uses lot of un-nessessary bandwidth and cpu, and increase poll doesn’t give instant response.

Long time back when I was on node-red I used to listen for UDP arp packet and based on mac address trigger the automation. That worked almost instantaneously. Is there a possibility of adding something similar ?

Hey,
Great work on this!

I’m looking for a way to set some specific details on my VPN Client. Especially turning on/off the routing of traffic. I’m on Merlin, so it’s a bit special. “Redirect traffic through tunnel: Yes/No/VPN Director”.

Do you know if this would be at all possible through your intergration?

I recently upgraded my AX11000 Pro to merlin, which introduced an issue with HA alerting me that “new firmware” is available. There are 2 different versions of the same merlin firmware version for my router, one is just made for “rog”. They have the same firmware filenames except one has “_rog” appended. It seems that HA thinks that these are 2 separate versions and warns me that a new firmware version is available and lists the non-rog version, so I can never really be sure if a true new version is released without clicking on it to see the full version numbers of what’s installed and what’s “new.” This probably has nothing to do with this integration, but does anyone know how to get around this?

Or, what is really different with the “ROG” version vs the non-rog? I could just switch to the non-rog if it doesn’t mess anything up. I do have the ROG version of the router but have the LEDs off.

Well, I don’t remember when it started or if it was always, every time I restart home they assist for an update or for reloading a configuration, the Asus router integration always asks me to log it in again, creating duplicate entities every time I configure it, I have hassio in one rpi 4 2GB, hassio 2023.9.2, Asus with version 3.0.0.4.386.11. The log gives me some errors like the ones I am going to attach. Thanks.

I always have a Router in discovered devices. I put it in ignore, but just want to talk about this.

Hi All,

Is it possible to get the Wifi channels also in HA as sensors?

1 Like

which sensors are you “missing” or talking about ?

All sensors are in HA. Only would be nice to have also sensors that shown the channels of the wifi. For me 2 for 2.4 and 5gHz

show what ?, download download speed ?, be specific

Below is the "available sensors, beside this there is also switches (on/off) for each Bands as well as for up to 3 or so guest-wifi’s

22.09.2023_21.35.05_REC

You just have to enable them in integration(Configure)

2.4 ghz used channel 4
5 ghz used channel 60

Sometime I change them because other wifi users use same channels. Then I change them

So then it can be

2.4 ghz used channel 12
5 ghz used channel 40

So sensors that show the channels that been used by the wifi itself.

2 Likes

ah ok, yes i “confused” channels with bands … sorry

No prob :slight_smile:

I am facing the following error when I try to add a device:

fetch-with-auth.ts:20     POST http://10.0.0.35:8123/api/config/config_entries/flow 404 (Not Found)
$ @ fetch-with-auth.ts:20
(anonymous) @ hass-call-api.ts:71
callApi @ connection-mixin.ts:136
l @ config_flow.ts:30
createFlow @ show-dialog-config-flow.ts:26
value @ dialog-data-entry-flow.ts:102
c @ make-dialog-manager.ts:130
await in c (async)
(anonymous) @ make-dialog-manager.ts:162
o @ fire_event.ts:76
n @ show-dialog-data-entry-flow.ts:152
l @ show-dialog-config-flow.ts:21
value @ dialog-add-integration.ts:599
await in value (async)
value @ dialog-add-integration.ts:567
value @ dialog-add-integration.ts:519
handleEvent @ lit-html.ts:2018

running the latest build, first time trying it.

Home Assistant 2023.9.3
Frontend 20230911.0 - latest

I am happy to debug it if you give me more clues.

EDIT: A Few reboots later it started working

Thanks for this neat integration! I have been wanting to have a way to activate guest network from HA.

What i miss from the default integration is a way to see how many devices connected currently.

Can that be done with this one?

Yes, scroll up to here and a few posts after for the code: [Custom component] AsusRouter integration - #589 by jata

Hello, people.

If anyone is using Merlin 388.4 and has OpenVPN servers/clients, please let me know whether you can turn them on / off using switches in the current version of the integration. Thanks in advance

P.S. Please, mention me using @Vaskivskyi on any question/issue/request to which I haven’t replied yet

@Vaskivskyi

I am on 388.4 on AX-3000/AX-58U.

All the of the configuration entities are showing up as unavailable but I have them enabled.

“This entity is no longer being provided by the asusrouter integration. If the entity is no longer in use, delete it in settings.”

I enable openVPN on the router and same result. Sorry.

@Vaskivskyi
I’m on 388.4 using an AX58U as well.
HA is up to 2023.10.1

I can turn on OpenVPN clients using this integration.
It doesn’t work the first time. I always have to flick the switch two or three times, but it works

Thanks for the great work on this integration! :slight_smile: