Custom Component: Crow Runner / Arrowhead AAP 8/16 Alarm IP Module

For me it was 100% fixed by putting it on its own VLAN. There was definitely something on the main LAN sending packets that caused it to lock up.

OK, Thanks. Just need to figure out Vlans on my USG now. Never done those before.

Same for me; separate VLAN completely fixed my disconnection issues. It’s been rock solid for the last 6 months.

Ah thats great news.

So, last night I tried to set this all up. I have HA running in Proxmox and use a Unifi USG and AP’s.

I dont suppose you guys have any experience in these do you?
This is what I have done so far-:

1. In Proxmox added another NIC to my HA VM.
  2. Went to my Unifi (HA Integration) controller and setup (or I think I did) a Vlan just for my alarm on 192.168.2.0
  3. Went to my alarm Web Gui and set my alarm IP to 192.168.2.90
  4. Used IP scanner and confirmed I had the alarm on the above IP and could also see the USG from my desktop.
  5. I also checked that I was able to ping my alarm from my desktop on that network. That was fine also.
  6. Next I used the HA Terminal and logged in. When I typed nmcli device status, it showed that HA now had two IP connections. They were both connected. (this confused me as other threads suggest I would have to connect the new one and name it. Also when I got into the terminal window, below where it says ‘Welcome to the Home Assistant Command Line’ it showed that HA had picked up the VLAN that I had created in the Unifi Controller.
  7. Changed the IP address of the alarm in the Crow setup in my Config.yaml

The component is reporting that it can not connect to the IP module…

Any ideas?

Cheers

Simon

@jokkydee @mish

So what do you guys have HA installed on or in?

I can not for the life of me figure out how to get my system working on a VLAN…

Cheers

Hi @Crumpy10 , sorry for not replying sooner. It’s been a while since I set up all the VLAN stuff, and once I got it working I forgot about it, but I’ll try to be as helpful as I can. Please ask if anything doesn’t make sense and I’ll try to look into it further.

So, I’m running HA operating system on a VM, using Virtual Box, on a Dell Optiplex i5 machine that is running Windows - it has one hardware ethernet NIC and this NIC supports tagged VLANs natively (It is an Intel I219-LM adapter to be specific). Using the Intel PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility in windows, I created 3 VLANs - ID 0, an untagged VLAN, ID 20, a tagged VLAN for IP cameras, and ID 30, a tagged VLAN just for the alarm. Once I did this, I could see 3 virtual NICs in Network Connections in my windows environment. “MAIN” is the untagged VLAN, which has access to the internet.

The NIC is connected to a managed switch - which deals with routing tagged packets to and from ports on particular VLANs. So my crow runner alarm is connected to a port on my managed switch that has ID 30 VLAN tags attached to it if sending out, and will only receive incoming packets that have ID 30 tags attached to it. The only way the Dell Optiplex NIC can talk to that port is by using the ID 30 virtual NIC.

Now, in virtual box settings for the HA VM, I have exposed two Network Adapters to it. The virtual NICs of VLAN 0 and VLAN 30, as you can see below. These now appear to the VM as two hardware NICs.

Then, inside HA, I used this guide https://community.home-assistant.io/t/setup-vlan-and-ha-tutorial/87705/6 to create two connections

So you can see here which one is the tagged VLAN 30 for the alarm system (enp0s3).

I used the IP subnet 10.0.30.x for VLAN 30. HA has the IP address 10.0.30.2, and the Crow Runner is 10.0.30.3

Then, in my config,

Not sure how helpful this will be, but hopefully you can get it working.

@Crumpy10 I seem to remember having to change or play around with the device names, as I don’t think I had “enp0s3” and “enp0s8” initially… I can’t quite remember what those names mean, but I seem to remember them being important.

By the sounds of it, everything outside of HA seems to be working correctly, so I do wonder if it is down to the nmcli configuration. You may need to delete one or more of those devices and create it again. At least I would suggest making sure you have this part correct.

EDIT: The other thing you may also want to check is that the IP subnet mask is correct. You can see in my case for enp0s3 the subnet mask is /24, meaning 255.255.255.0. I can’t remember if mine was /24 by default. I read that others needed to change this from /8 to /24.

@jokkydee Thanks for taking the time to write all this out.
I still havent got it working but what I have done is change a lot of the settings on my alarm through the ULD16 software. I was getting a lot of dialer errors, which I have now sorted out.
FYI in the Ip module install info, its says to enable the dialler. This was giving me errors on my keypad as no phone line is connected. So I tested to see if the IP module still sent out the zone open and closed messages through the module and it does. So I am wondering if thats all had something to do with the issues we have had. Anyway, it been fine for over 24 hours now, only time will tell.

Well this module has been working 100% for me and is amazing. Thanks for everyone involved especially @febalci

I’ve now got it in some automations included auto arm at night / when everyone leaves the house. Auto disarm in the morning / when someone comes home.

The last thing I want to do with it is manually trigger an alarm… like the panic button.

any ideas? Do I need to look at relays?

Thanks!

Using one of the relays on the IP module would probably be one of the quickest and easiest ways I would say. Make a new zone and have the relay short it. I’m not sure if there is another way to do it without involving actually triggering a zone electrically.

Thanks @jokkydee

I’ll need to do some digging to be able to do this!

Well in fact there is a “PANIC” command for the IP Module. I do not remember it explicitly if i implemented it or not. Let me check and get back to you, if not, it is very easy to do it. But i need about 2-3 weeks; sending my son to UK for college next week, lots of things to do…

Thanks @febalci

I can see the declaration for async_alarm_trigger in alarm_control_panel.py but as far as i can tell it doesn’t do anything…I might have a play if im feeling brave enough

I don’t have the manual to hand but I recall there being a KEYS command that sets the panic siren off. You should be able to do it all in software, no need for additional relays. I remember this because I did some experiments and set my sirens off and it was obvious in hindsight!

Btw have you tried the service “alarm_control_panel.alarm_trigger” to trigger a panic alarm? It “should” be working but if not at least i know now where to start…

Hi Frederico, we are all using 2.10.3628 which was prepared back in 2017. Did AAP offered you another version? Because what you wrote above looks like the version number is the same? Additionally, if there is a new version, personally i do not know the details; and i am not so sure that it will work well with the current custom component since it was specifically written for 2.10.3628.

I apologize because I was the one who messed up the version. It’s the same.

Just for information:

If you have Crow BS-1 Siren (It doesn’t write brand or model anywhere, i found out from the pictures of it online), if it starts chirping like a bird for no reason (one chirp every second), and you see no warnings or errors on the alarm panel; that means the battery of the siren died out…

For whatever reason they decided to put a warning mechanism to the siren independent of the alarm panel. And in the siren manual this warning mechanism is not written and you cannot silence it until you disconnect +12V line from the system. Found out this the hard way at 06:00 in the morning :rofl:

Btw it uses 12V 1.3Ah small size battery; you have to press PXXXXENTER (installer code) before opening the siren box screw for disabling tamper…

Just to let you guys know it if you have this kind of problem in the future…

1 Like

@febalci

As from version HA 2021.12 device_state_attributes is deprecated and should be replaced by extra_state_attributes

adjustments needs to made in:
alarm_control_panel.py, binary_sensor.py, sensor.py
I made the changes on my code and it works without any warning messages it’s just a renaming…

Good night from Spain.

I have this alarm at home, 16 zones with voice dialing module (DTMF) and with the GSM / GPRS module to have a SIM card as a backup of the telephone line.
I have purchased the IP-MODULE from app.co.nz, I told them that I wanted to integrate my alarm system into HA and they provided me with the firmware.

I have not done anything, I have received the ip module and the D-LINK cable.
I would like to know, step by step as if it were very clumsy, what steps should I take.

I have the following doubts:

• Will I be able to continue using my phone call module when the alarm goes off? Currently, when the alarm detects a movement, I receive a phone call and a voice message indicating which zone has been where the event occurred. Will I continue to have that?

• Can you tell me what steps I should take to:

1. Flash the ip module with the firmware they have given me.
  2. Make a backup of my alarm installation
  3. Make a backup of the original firmware that came with the IP module?
  4. Is it necessary to purchase the Android Play Store App? Or would it only be used with Home Assistant?
  5. In my case I have 5 interior motion sensors, an exterior siren, an interior siren, 6 exterior motion sensors. Would everyone appear in HA? What should i do?

I will try to read the whole thread, but I have exposed all the initial doubts that I have. Thanks a lot.

Summary

Step by Step to use module ip with crow runner 16