Custom Component for node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket

Working great (HA and NR both on docker)! I can certainly find a lot of use cases for this extension!

Is the “resend state and attributes” toggle supposed to resend the values after a HA restart?

Yes, when NR registers the entity with HA and it doesn’t exist yet it will send the last values if they exist.

This didn’t work the first restart of HA for me, but since then it have worked flawless :slight_smile:

Yes, I did find a bug where the sensor wouldn’t resend the old payload until the node had been deployed again.

1 Like

Hi. I don’t know what is wrong, but now i can’t run the package dependency in Hassio anymore ,after a Hass restart.:

[10:35:08] FATAL: Failed installing npm package git+https://github.com/zachowj/node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket#integration
[cont-init.d] user.sh: exited 1.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts…
[cont-finish.d] 99-message.sh: executing…

Oops! Something went wrong.

On the github page i see Build-Failing.
Please advise me if you can. Thank you.

Sorry, I should have changed the post here after I did a full release. I have pushed these changes to the master branch and removed the integration branch. Looks like you’re using hass.io and the last time I looked the addon hasn’t been updated to include v0.17.0.

Solution until the node-red addon for hass.io gets updated: change ...#integration to ...#master

Thank You very much. That solved it for now.

Why do I get this error message on sensor node?

The files are copied to the correct space. node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket is already included in node-red. And think node-red config should be correct.

Hassio was reinstalled a few days ago.

Node red, by the way, takes a long time to start. Check timestamps from the log.

Last bit of the logg:

[19:16:05] INFO: Password is NOT in the Have I Been Pwned database! Nice!
[19:16:06] INFO: Password is NOT in the Have I Been Pwned database! Nice!
patching file nodes/ui_base.html
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1243 (offset 712 lines).
up to date in 1.727s
found 0 vulnerabilities
[cont-init.d] node-red.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] user.sh: executing... 
[19:16:13] INFO: Starting installation of custom NPM/Node-RED packages...
+ [email protected]
added 1 package from 1 contributor, updated 3 packages and audited 3721 packages in 59.566s
found 0 vulnerabilities
[cont-init.d] user.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[19:17:17] INFO: Starting Node-RED...
> hassio-addon-node-red@ start /opt
> node $NODE_OPTIONS node_modules/node-red/red.js "--settings" "/etc/node-red/config.js"
16 Dec 19:17:23 - [info] 
Welcome to Node-RED
===================
16 Dec 19:17:23 - [info] Node-RED version: v1.0.3
16 Dec 19:17:23 - [info] Node.js  version: v10.16.3
16 Dec 19:17:23 - [info] Linux 4.14.98-v7 arm LE
16 Dec 19:17:25 - [info] Loading palette nodes

I think you don’t need that npm package as it’s already part of the add-on, what you do need is the custom component below.

1 Like

I already have those files (look at the picture), :slightly_smiling_face:

Have you added it to the integration page in HA?

@mbonani Last I looked there hasn’t been a release of the hass.io addon with v0.17.x in it.

1 Like

Oops, my bad. I’m running Node-RED in a container (not the add-on) and wrongly assumed the add-on was updated. I’m sorry.

1 Like

I couldn’t find node-red under integrations earlier, so I skipped that step.
Took a restart of hassio every now and then it showed up under integrations. Got it added and now the error message is gone and everything works fine.
Thanks a lot for your help and hints.

The zachowj/ hass-node-red is installed via HACS, Node Red added on integration page but nothing appeared in the Node RED. It was several Hassio restart without any result. I use Hassio in Docker under Ubuntu 18.04.

:tada: A new version of the add-on with node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket v0.17.1 was just released.

You might need to update the Node-RED add-on to its newest version (v5.0.7).

Thank you! It is working now! :beers:

I am not seeing the “off” events in node red on the event: state node. I am expecting on/off message when I toggle the switch, instead it moves to “DISABLED” on NR… what am I missing? I an not sure how I can use the DISABLED state of that node.

Is this a valid use case? I want to turn on/off a switch to control the flow of data in the middle of a flow rather than use it a method to start the flow. I guess that is where my disconnect its. I was assuming the main event: state node would output a on and off since it matches the entity_id of the switch that is created. but once its disabled it doesn’t output anything…

I have gotten around fixed this by creating one node to create the switch in HA and another node with the entity_id with the id of the switch that was created to get its true on/off state.

I don’t see that working because when you turn off the switch in HA it will disable the node and it won’t trigger on the switch.send_notifacation_garage state change event.

Interesting use from your post on Github with the traffic light. A possible change to those would be to swap out the traffic node and use a current-state node where you check the state of the exposed switch unless you’re turning on and off the traffic node from something off-screen. I have it on my todo list to create a node that does this exact use-case but I haven’t implemented it.

[{"id":"c5c37106.31bc6","type":"inject","z":"9ce184b.0f5bb78","name":"","topic":"","payload":"","payloadType":"date","repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"x":256,"y":1520,"wires":[["1b39943.738206c"]]},{"id":"1b39943.738206c","type":"api-current-state","z":"9ce184b.0f5bb78","name":"","version":1,"outputs":2,"halt_if":"on","halt_if_type":"str","halt_if_compare":"is","override_topic":false,"entity_id":"switch.test_event","state_type":"str","state_location":"payload","override_payload":"msg","entity_location":"data","override_data":"msg","blockInputOverrides":false,"x":482,"y":1520,"wires":[["ac14dc49.0c81c"],[]]},{"id":"bcc85509.194c78","type":"server-state-changed","z":"9ce184b.0f5bb78","name":"test_event","version":1,"exposeToHomeAssistant":false,"haConfig":[{"property":"name","value":""},{"property":"icon","value":""}],"entityidfilter":"test_event","entityidfiltertype":"exact","outputinitially":false,"state_type":"str","haltifstate":"","halt_if_type":"str","halt_if_compare":"is","outputs":1,"output_only_on_state_change":false,"x":252,"y":1568,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"ac14dc49.0c81c","type":"debug","z":"9ce184b.0f5bb78","name":"Send Alarm Alerts","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"payload","targetType":"msg","x":730,"y":1520,"wires":[]}]

The scenario where I see exposed nodes being used is if you have a flow that is started by an event and you want to have the ability to disable it from the HA UI. Something like if you have a motion sensor that triggers a light turning on and off in the bathroom and for some reason you want the light to be a dumb switch now.

[{"id":"2cea436.7c324bc","type":"server-state-changed","z":"9ce184b.0f5bb78","name":"","version":1,"exposeToHomeAssistant":true,"haConfig":[{"property":"name","value":"bathroom motion"},{"property":"icon","value":""}],"entityidfilter":"sensor.bathroom_motion","entityidfiltertype":"exact","outputinitially":false,"state_type":"str","haltifstate":"on","halt_if_type":"str","halt_if_compare":"is","outputs":2,"output_only_on_state_change":true,"x":210,"y":1744,"wires":[["efb949c.4bd71b8","60777439.e2037c"],[]]},{"id":"efb949c.4bd71b8","type":"ha-wait-until","z":"9ce184b.0f5bb78","name":"","outputs":2,"entityId":"sensor.bathroom_motion","property":"state","comparator":"is","value":"off","valueType":"str","timeout":"5","timeoutUnits":"minutes","entityLocation":"","entityLocationType":"none","checkCurrentState":true,"blockInputOverrides":true,"x":460,"y":1792,"wires":[[],["ff66455d.a47be8"]]},{"id":"60777439.e2037c","type":"api-call-service","z":"9ce184b.0f5bb78","name":"","version":1,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"switch","service":"turn_{{payload}}","entityId":"switch.bathroom_light","data":"","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":680,"y":1744,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"ff66455d.a47be8","type":"change","z":"9ce184b.0f5bb78","name":"off","rules":[{"t":"set","p":"payload","pt":"msg","to":"off","tot":"str"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":610,"y":1792,"wires":[["60777439.e2037c"]]}]