Custom Component: here_travel_time

I missed that. Works now, thank you :slight_smile:

It is not for me, and you included the info here so that is ok.
I meant on your github Installation section

Ah, I misunderstood you.

Excellent thought. Thank you!

I updated the documentation accordingly!

1 Like

Thanks for doing this, works great, no more Waze errors in my logs !

1 Like

Hi. I already installed the component without issues and it works.
One issue avoids to get rid of Waze:
My wife has several route options to drive to work.
If waze (in the end alexa) tells the travel time, it additionally tells roughly the route.
So it is possible to see if travel time is higher than usual, that the route differs and maybe there is traffic consumption on the standard route.
is the here api able to provide the rough route as well?

This is a really interesting usecase.

I did see that the Waze API returns that info. HERE itself does not do that but returns the full navigational instructions.

I would have to implement some logic how to extract a meaningful route name out of it.

If you have some ideas I’d appreciate the input :wink:

Hmmm…I’m not very experienced in developing interfaces but had to design some between ERP-Systems and Tracking&Tracing in logistics.
I know, that the routing information provide the name of roads and the type.
So the direction I would design is, to simply list the highways, federal highways and contryroads (in germany “Landstrasse”)
Thats what here does on their web-interface and thats what waze does.
So you will create a list (based on german roads) “L230 - A57 - A44 - Westring”
The first and the last road are contryroads an all A’s + number are the highways.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the API.

For those who see Google everywhere, Here, the Creator and owner if the app is a Netherlands based company owned by BMW, Audi and Daimler who bought the company from Nokia, the cellphone company, because they did not want to be dependent on Google for the navigation systems in their cars.

1 Like

I was thinking to display the roadname on which most of the distance on the route is. But I like yours way better. I will implement it on Monday and bring it into the discussion of an official travel_time component.

1 Like

Maybe it’s al little far fetched. How about showing a map with which route it’s pretending to take. I know that there are two routes I can take with my commute. But now it’s guessing which one is less.

Is that some kind of idea?

Sounds great. Thanks for your engagement

Just added through HACS.
So far extremely easy to setup!

Only question I have… I tried using WAZE previously… it just won’t calculate the route I wanted (fought with includes and excludes for days!). Anyway, my one question - is it possible to use street address or only lat/long?

Okay… I do have a second question - is it possible to get the route? I want to see what the calculated fastest route vs shortest route are actually taking… it gives origin and destination, but I don’t see where it shows the route.

Thanks for the work!

DeadEnd

Hi,
just to help a little:
Thats how waze provides the route, separated through semicolon.
Alexa can handle that.

duration: 16.666666666666668
distance: 16.43
route: L26 - Westring Meerbusch; A44;Flughafenstrasse
unit_of_measurement: min
friendly_name: Yvonnes Fahrweg

and hat’s how it looks like in an automation or script:

Your way to work needs {{ states.sensor.yvonnes_fahrweg.state }} minutes.
        the  Route is {{ states.sensor.yvonnes_fahrweg.attributes.route }}. 

That works perfectly. So she knows, weather to turn right or left from our parking lot:-)

one last sentence:
the distance should be in miles respective km in Europe and the distance in minutes or hours and minutes when above 60. That avoids to have to create another template sensor only in order to transform the values.
Just if you’re working on this component anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sadly the HERE API does not support location names instead of coordinates. I always use Google maps to find out the coordinates of a location of interest and use that in my sensors.

For the route information:

I will implement this next week.

2 Likes

Thank you for the input that is extremely helpful.

2 Likes

Great component but unfortunately travel times which I receive are around 15 - 20 minutes higher than real time - both for travel by car (60 km outside of the city) and public transport within the city.
Probably it’s because of poor support for my location (Warsaw, Poland) but due to this, I won’t have much use of it which is a shame because besides that it’s a really awesome thing and could be a great alternative to Google Travel Time.

FWIW and just so your post doesn’t deter others (not that I think for a minute that you mean to do that) I live in the UK and get travel times within about a minute (or sometimes two) either way to those I get using Waze.

Just added this component, it was easy and seems to update every few minutes. Much faster than Waze.

Thanks!

I noticed the travel times were a bit higher than they should be… but for me - I am looking to compare, so I can still tell which is faster, even if it is adding 5 minutes to the time.

For reference I am in Kentucky, USA.

I can’t find the component on HACS? Is it 100% there?