Custom Component: Hubitat

I think my problem is the back of my Mac Mini is an electrical noise Mardi Gras. My friend has told me that USB3 is very noisy and I’ve got some HDDs connected right next to the ZStick and Conbee2. i’ll be ordering some USB extension cables and pinning them up the wall in my basement cellar way to try this again. In fairness I brough SmartThings right next to my kitchen dimmer last night and it would not delete or add node for the life of me.

The Aeotec ZStick has this sweet feature where you can unplug it, it has it’s own internal battery and you can walk around and delete and add nodes remotely. It doesn’t work with anything that I’ve seen though, but that’d be really sweet. Using that method I am able to get my kitchen dimmer to delete and add, so I’m not sure what SmartThings problem is sitting right next to it. The lights do randomly dim up and down a couple of times a day so I’m expecting it to release the magic smoke soon or the big bad smoke. Good thing I don’t have any pets anymore.

I did. I tried the Aeotec and Conbee, ended up with Nortek pillaged from my Hubitat.
In the end, the trouble I was experiencing had to do with frequent reboots. If z-wave was still ‘starting up’ when I rebooted, it’d completely funk up the mesh. I had to go through and do a button click dance to wake every single node back up and heal the entire mesh. I was about to give up when I realized the error I was making. Sure does slow down innovation when you have to wait 20-30 minutes between reboots upon realizing your latest config change didn’t work. :upside_down_face:

Otherwise, aside from that little thing, mesh has been rock solid ever since.

I’m looking forward to switching over to the new hotness they’re working on, when it gets a little more mature, so that reboots don’t affect the mesh.

That’s weird about the range, but I have had similar issues removing and adding nodes. Sometimes they just wouldn’t and then suddenly they would after about 100 tries.

1 Like

I use conbee 2 on my nuc, with extension cable. Conbee 2 does not love usb3 at all.

I use aeotec with new ozw add on, but I still have the Hubitat for two z-wave devices because they still don’t work on HE. (aeotec doorbell and danalock) ozw ui is the most terrible I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

What issues are you having? Did you update the Zigbee firmware as recommended in the instructions?

I have a huge Zigbee mesh. The only real issue I’ve seen is where the network address of a mains powered (smart plugs) Zigbee device changes its network address and bellows/zha does not catch it. I reconfigured ZHA to use source-routing which I highly recommend if you have more than 30 device.

Ugly, incomplete, and slow… But it’s a beta so my expectations were low to start. But I have a lot of devices running on it. As long as I’m not adding or removing devices I find it to be very reliable.

@jwbtx It sounds like you’re wondering if you can use Hubitat code without a physical Hubitat device, to which the answer is unfortunately no. This project provides a connection between an HA instance and a Hubitat hub, but it doesn’t emulate a Hubitat hub or allow you to run Hubitat code. (Hubitat is a closed-source device, and I don’t believe there any publicly available implementations of its software stack.)

@jason0x43

Yes, sorry for not being clearer. Thanks for the quick note.
Maybe I buy an HE and a ST and see which is easier/works better with HA to incorporate.

Again, thank you!

Cheers
jwb

Small ones really and all button device related. Zha has been rock solid for me, so I don’t want to give the impression that its problematic.
The biggest one for me are that Lutron Aurora buttons presses weren’t always captured. The dial works 100% of the time but the button push works closer to 50% of the time. I have a strong mesh and many others reported the same issue. Apparently moving to a Conbee 2 resolved that problem. Also had minor issues with the Eria button controllers. I already have workarounds in place but it would be nice if they just worked out if the box.

I’ll PM you for help on this. Don’t want to sidetrack the thread more than I already have.

@srwhite sorry to hijack this, but what is ZHA source routing? Do you have any links to share how you implemented it? I cant seem to find anything of doing a reconfigure (currently using Deconz with Conbee 2 stcik, used ZHA a while ago and would like to give it a go again - currently got around 60 zibgee devices)

Well, updated to the latest and zwave took a crap again. Starts up ok, after it finishes startup, it just starts timing out. I’ve spent the morning and can’t get it back. Frustrating. Sorry to hijack, needed to vent.

I lost the ability to access the Z-Wave Beta from the WebUI.
VNC works if you enable it, it’s the same UI.

I’m completely separated from Hubitat and SmartThings… it feels good but I worry about that broken WebUI…

I haven’t switched to the Openzwave and mqtt variant yet. I did finally get things working again, was a PITA and because I’m lazy and haven’t taken a snapshot lately, I lost some hard to reach nodes that I’ll need to reset and include again. DAMMIT!

I had more luck with the Hubitat Z-Wave/Zigbee stick that used to be in my hub than my Aeotec stick. That leaves it freed up to be used as a force remove stick, which is really useful since it has a battery and I can walk over and at least use it to remove the nodes. Adding is still depending on a node being close enough to catch the join advertisement or whatever they call it.

Received my Hubitat and got everything installed and integrated. I am running the github plugin for my FX Luminaire lighting that I posted above. Controlling on/off works just fine, however, I am trying to configure so I have color changing like with HA RGB bulb using “light” when long pressing toggle.
In the Maker API, its provided several URLs:
Get Device Info (replace [Device ID] with actual subscribed device id
Get Device Event History (replace [Device ID] with actual subscribed device id
Get Device Commands (replace [Device ID] with actual subscribed device id
Get Device Capabilities (replace [Device ID] with actual subscribed device id
Send Device Command (replace [Device ID] with actual subscribed device id and [Command] with a supported command. Supports optional [Secondary value]
Send POST URL (replace [URL] with actual URL to send POST to (URL encoded)

The 5th url appears to be what I would use to change colors. Trying to put this all together. Appreciate any assistance.

jwb

What are you toggling, and where are you trying to control the bulb from? If you’re using this integration, you shouldn’t need to use any of the Maker API URLs directly.

Ok, I was just confused in readings then… In the lovelace button, it calls the device created by the Hubitat integration.

I’d like to change the colors using the same color wheel. This is done by longpress on the button to toggle.

Cant get this to work.
I´m following the guide to the letter, but when i get to get part Setup i get problems.
Configuration -> Integrations - and searching for Hubitat this window comes up. A red text with: User input malformed : shows in the top of the window.

im also running into this error fixed with v0.5.15

Sorry about that – it looks like a regression that was introduced in a recent update. Working on it…

v0.5.15 fixes the “User input malformed” issue during initial setup.

Yep that Did it, thanks for the quick patch!