Custom Component: IoTaWatt Energy Monitor integration

Is there a way to manually use this if HACS doesn’t want to work?

Any thoughts on updating this to support the New Home Assistant Home Energy Management. Because I getting sensor not listed see Expected data source not listed - Home Assistant. I know the data is in the iotawatt and there are API calls to pull the information.

Yeah I was wondering about that myself. I would like to plot voltage and watts.

I see Paulus has ask Submit to Home Assistant Core #4 Submit to Home Assistant Core · Issue #4 · gtdiehl/iotawatt_ha · GitHub

Home Assistant will have a new added focus on energy management in the next release. We’re trying to get as many energy related integrations part of core.

Your integration is great. Would you want to submit it to core?

2 Likes

You can already get this working with the HA energy management panel. The key to the data source not listed message you’re getting is to create “integration” sensors. One of mine is shown below which allows the new energy panel to show my total power usage. You can do similar sensors for each of the channels from the iotawatt and add those as “devices” to the energy panel.

It would be nice if the integration created these sensors automatically (not sure if that is possible or not) but its totally functional with a bit of manual effort today.

- platform: integration                                                        
    source: sensor.iotawatt_output_total_power                                   
    name: Total_energy_usage                                                     
    unit_prefix: k                                                               
    round: 2             
1 Like

How did you connect IotaWatt to EmonCMS? I can’t figure out how to add my inputs.

Here are my settings:

Thanks and how did you get them to appear in EmonCMS? I choose Inputs>New Device> but don’t know which device to choose.

Once you have the inputs in EmonCMS

click the wrench at the far right, the output them to feeds:

HA will pickup these feeds and display them as sensors:

Thank you got it working

I’m working on getting this integration added to Home Assistant without the need for HACS. Thank you to the ones that have helped in the effort so far!

I’m just having one issue that I can’t seem to fix and want to get it fixed before making the PR to add this sensor to Home Assistant. The issue is when an Input/Output is removed from the IoTaWatt interface exceptions are being thrown in the HA log.

If anyone has any insight into how to fix this I would be very greatful!
The issue is noted in Github here.
The latest code that I’m preparing for the HA inclusion is located here

1 Like

Anyone know if it’s possible to chart iotawatt values with the new statistics graph card? I don’t see the iotawatt sensor values as being available for selection in the card configuration. I would like to chart volts and power. Do we need an update?

@currest2620 I’m currently merging some code changes and should replace a new version in about an hour or 2.

2 Likes

I’ve released Version 0.0.4 to GitHub. You should be able to update it through HACS now.

Changelog:

• Minimum Home Assistant version is 2021.8.0
  • Updated sensors to support the new Energy Dashboard

Known Issue(s):

• Removing sensors through IoTaWatt’s web interface causes exceptions in Home Assistant. Workaround is to restart Home Assistant after removing sensors so HA can pick up the change.
1 Like

Thanks for your great work. Very much appreciated.

Glorious! Any chance you can change the currency? Putting in a vote for AUD if possible.

1 Like

Currency is set in Home Assistant, (Configuration > General), in the grouping with home zone info, units etc.

Thanks for that. I see I can plot watts, but not volts in the new statistics graph card. Any chance volts could be accessible?

@currest2620 From what I’ve read the Energy Dashboard in Home Assistant is only displaying Wh/kWh data. If you want to complement the Energy Dashboard with another graph that displays Volts you can take pieces from the Energy Dashboard and create a custom lovelace page. I found this.

Great, I’ll check that out for sure. Don’t see a way to chart volts though.