Custom Component: Neo Smart Blinds Cover - modified and updated

Thanks for this - so simple, but not intuitive for a newbie

I’m still having issues with this integration. It was working fine a few days ago before I updated my core version and my blinds are showing up with a status (as opposed to unavailable), however, I still can’t seem to control them. I have updated to the 2022.3 fix version and have verified that the manifest.json now references the request version 2.27.1. I have tried installing through HACS (and moving the neosmartblinds folder contents to the correct place since they install into a second subfolder via hacs) as well as manually replacing the neosmartblinds folder with the latest.

I also have this in the configuration.yaml:

# Dining Room Smartblinds
cover:
  - platform: neosmartblinds
    name: Dining Room Blinds
    host: 192.168.0.33
    hub_id: ActualHubIDHere
    protocol: http
    port: 8838
    blind_code: 131.196-01
    close_time: 20
    rail: 1
    percent_support: 1
    motor_code: bf
    start_position: 50

Anyone have any other ideas of things to check? I am able to control them fine via the neo app as well as with my google home.

UPDATE: I messed with this for hours yesterday and had no luck. Today, I clicked the button to open my blinds out of habit and it just worked. I have no idea what changed. All of my devices have a static IP and I haven’t made any changes since yesterday to HA. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Hi @jasonjohnson519 I’ve noticed that my blinds stop responding after my router gets rebooted for whatever reason. The fix is to unplug the the blind controller and pliu it in again - kinda low tech but it works. I don’t know why it happens, my controller uses a static IP and I’d rather have a more robust / automatic fix.

I suspect it’s something to do with this:

A firewall is blocking your Neo Smart Blinds Controller access to our servers. Your Controller will be alternating between flashing cyan/blue-green and orange if this is the problem. Whitelist all your Smart Controller devices by MAC address, allowing them to make outgoing TCP connections to port 5683 on any host. If your firewall rule uses an upstream DNS resolver, please, check local DNS settings and, if not resolved locally, also at the ISP’s end.

I’m using pi-Hole as a local DHCP / DNS so I guess somethings gets lost when the route out to the internet is lost?

Update: I set up a ping to the hub in configuration.yaml and that seems to bring the blinds back to life after a router reboot. Early days but looking promising

Mine also suddenly stopped working at some point in the past few days

inside the entity it says the following
"This entity is currently unavailable and is an orphan to a removed, changed or dysfunctional integration or device.

If the entity is no longer in use, you can clean it up by removing it."

found this error in my server log file

Logger: homeassistant.config
Source: config.py:873
First occurred: 12:27:50 (7 occurrences)
Last logged: 12:27:51

Platform error: cover - Requirements for neosmartblinds not found: [‘requests==2.24.0’].

Had same issue. OP has already fixed it.

See his post in another thread here: Custom Component: NeoSmartBlinds Cover - #38 by mtgeekman

Can either download his updated package, or in my case since I have a fork of his code I just applied his change by hand to mine and updated the line in the manifest.json file.

Hi yeah I thought I had installed the correct patch but it would appear I had but the version on my system was wrong so there was a mismatch so re did it all and updated and voila it all works again

Thanks once again to the guys who make this stuff possible

Hi! My question is not directly related to the integration. I would like to buy few Neo Smart blind for a bedroom and use this integration for my Home Assistant. But I would like to know if they are noisy in operation. Also, it’s possible to change open the blind to a specific percentage?
Thanks!

Regarding the question about opening the blinds to a specific percentage… my answer would be “not reliably”. The answer actually depends on if you plan on using only the HA integration. If so, the author or the component has done a nice job trying to overcome what I think is a pretty significant limitation in the vendors API (that it can’t report back the current position). But… if you use a remote or the app AND the HA integration that would confuse the HA components attempt to keep track of the position.

In terms of the noise… I would say they are a bit noisier than some motorized blinds but not too bad. I have these and Lutron Serena shades and I will say those are much quieter.

Having an issue with my Neo blinds since upgrading to HA 2022.7.1. The following error is now appearing
*Platform error cover.neosmartblinds - Requirements for neosmartblinds not found: [‘requests==2.27.1’].
Is anyone having ths problem and what may be a solution?
Thanks

Yup. Same here. I’ll try and update the custom component and see if it persists.

No luck I’m afraid. Updated and all blinds in available in HA

Haven’t tried this myself yet as I haven’t updated HA but try changing the version in the manifest file to 2.28.1 and let us know

Issue resolved following version change to 2.28.1 in manifest file. Thanks marshes.

+1 here too. Many thanks

Hi All,

I’m having this issue as well and I’m running version 2022.7.4. The error still displays;
Platform error cover.neosmartblinds - Requirements for neosmartblinds not found: [‘requests==2.27.1’].
I have changed the manifest to 2.28.1. Where does this number 2.28.1 come from?

I have the same issue

Do you find solution?

2.28.1 is the most recent version of requests Requests: HTTP for Humans™ — Requests 2.31.0 documentation thus why the integration can’t find 2.27.1 as its no longer listed.

If your error message still says 2.27.1 then it’s not reading from the modified manifest file or you haven’t rebooted yet.

If you can’t reboot you might need to comment out the integration or config lines. Then reboot. Then uncomment and reboot again.

1 Like

Thanks so much. I just hadn’t fully rebooted the machine so it was still reading the old manifest. After changing the manifest, I was only using the Check Configuration button to verify it was correct. Full reboot after changing to 2.28.1 worked. :slight_smile: