Custom Component: Rainforest Eagle-200 local meter reader

I dont recall doing it but that doesn’t mean I did a year ago when I got the thing:

Ideally I would be able to pipe the values directly into influx or telegraf.

Anyone else having issues logging into the portal?

Can this integration be easily made to work with the Eagle-100 ?

@wrcvr4 There is an open PR #28082 that @jcalbert is working on so that the HA sensor will work with both versions of the Eagle hardware.

Anyone else see the data on the portal but not in HA?

I’ve been trying to figure this out for a while now and haven’t had any luck. I have my eagle-200 connected to my SCE meter.

These are the sensors that I am given after enabling the rainforest_eagle component. I’m not sure how the total_meter_energy_delivered value is being calculated but it doesn’t match anything on my cloud portal. Does anyone have any idea what kind of data this sensor is showing me?

It has been a while since I wrote a Node-Red script to extract from my Eagle 200. I used the local API: https://rainforestautomation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/EAGLE-200-Local-API-Manual-v1.0.pdf

The document is a bit light on- but you can just use http request from a web browser to get a list of supplied values, the names are fairly self explanatory.

Otherwise maybe post a question on GitHub to the author.

@thatdonfc There are 3 values that come directly from the Eagle-200 and 1 that is calculated within the sensor

I’ll use Home Assistant friendly names
The three that come from the device are:

Eagle-200 Meter Power Demand
Eagle-200 Total Meter Energy Delivered
Eagle-200 Total Meter Energy Received

The other one is calculated by taking the Delivered minus Received
Eagle-200 Net Meter Energy (Delivered minus Received)

The only value that directly matches the Rainforest Portal is the Eagle-200 Meter Power Demand value. This value is seen as the current real-time value. The other two values (Delivered and Received) are used in the portal but Rainforest has to process these values as they are total counters that are increasing.

What’s interesting in your screenshot is that the Friendly names are different than what is in the code for the sensor (disregard the line with the red marks this is my own sensor)

A few questions. Which version of Home Assistant are you running? Do you have any Solar panels?

For me personally, I only use the Power Demand the Net Energy values. Power Demand to see the current power usage and the Net Energy to graph historical usage. Your Net Energy value may be unknown because the Received value is unknown. I may have to fix the code to take into account a setup without any Solar panels (returning electricity back to the grid).

Here is how I use the Net Energy values in Grafana

Thinking about it, I don’t think I’ll update the code for the actual Received value. I’ll let it to continue to return the None value as this is what the API appears to be returning. I’ll fix the computation problem when subtracting Delivered and Received values. Also I’ll see about updating the Home Assistant Eagle sensor documentation page to say what these monitored conditions are.

@gregtd

I don’t have solar so I don’t use the Received or Net sensors. I have them hidden in HA. I have my sensors renamed under my customize.yaml

I’m always on the most recent version of Home Assistant. It was 0.106.2 I believe when I posted that. Currently on 0.106.5

I’m trying to wrap my head around the energy_delivered number. I don’t understand how the rainforest automation site takes that number and gives me an accurate kWh reading. OR if they are taking the reading and converting it to something else for the API.

I’ve set up an integral sensor to record my kWh from power demand. So far it seems to be pretty accurate. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help you make this integration better. I’m happy to help test or whatever needs to be done.

@gregtd

Any chance of pulling in the $/KWH sensor value into the component?

@thatdonfc How did you hide the sensors in HA? I tried to use the monitored_conditions attribute through the configuration.yaml but it appears it is not working. Have to look at the code.

@poldim I recall there was some issue around this value. I’ll look into it again this week.

I use customize.yaml to hide the sensor from the UI by setting hidden: true.

Ah I see. The monitored_conditions was not implemented correctly when I first wrote the sensor code. I opened a PR to fix it, as well to fix the calculation of the Total Summation value.
https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/32666

Well, it looks like monitored_conditions has been phased out in HA. So I’ll just update the API version so that the computation of the Total Summation does not come as Unknown.

@poldim It looks like Rainforest has fixed the bug where the local device would not be updated when the value is changed from the portal website

I’m running firmware 3.10.1.452

I’ll see that it can be added to the API than to the HA sensor

Great thanks!

I setup the gateway to POST to my NodeRED but it didn’t have the price in it. But your post made me go back and check and now it’s showing the value! I’d like to do some automation based on price tiers to reduce consumption so this is great.

Now I need to figure out how to store these into Grafana/Influx.

I have finally got back to this one, now that the 100 is supported

After working for a few minutes, I got this value starting to be reported

4294966.326 kW 

I’m actually be using under 1kW atm

Adding:
This is from the ‘sensor.eagle_200_meter_power_demand’ sensor
My current demand is actually negative, due to Solar Export (1.4kW)

I’m running into the same issue as @wrcvr4 – very large kW number staying pretty much constant.

@cwm Are you using the Eagle (4 lights) or the Eagle-200 (5 lights)?