Custom Component: SolarEdge Modbus TCP

aham, great tip Chris, thanks, this is my firmware what the API reports, it is indeed older than expexted:

Question now: can I anyhow force a firmware update? Unfortunately I can’t use the SetApp, with my regular monitoring credentials it won’t let me log in to the app. I can only use the inverter’s admin page after I connect to its AP.

SolarEdge can do it remotely if I ask them? Should I contact my solarpanel dealer how installed SolarEdge, or SolarEdge directly?

Thanks for helping me with this issue :slight_smile:

4.15.119 is the relevant one :wink:
With this, afaik - they had disabled Modbus over wifi.

So, you need to get in contact with SE support to get the fixed version

2 Likes

oh, for fXck’s sake…

so ethernet it is…

as said,
their support can do another firmware update where these issues should be resolved, as far as I can say.
But since I don’t have wifi connected devices, I can’t say for sure.

1 Like

Hi all, has anyone implemented an automatism that sends a notification if the inverter is not available? It happened to me after a blackout that the inverter didn’t restart, I noticed it after several hours.
Thanks

I can confirm with firmware 4.16.23 that ModBusTCP over wifi is functional.

https://www.solaredge.com/aus/setapp-inverters-firmware

1 Like

I tried to get my modbus tcp working tonight, and I was able to get it enabled on my master inverter. But, my slave inverter (I have 2 inverters and 1 meter) must not be ID 2 on the RS485-1 bus as I’m getting an error during setup of the integration that it gets no response from inverter ID 2.

So, I then tried to get to my slave inverter’s commissioning page by following the same steps to enable wifi that I did on the master and then accessing 172.16.0.1 on the slave inverter… however, when I connect to the slave inverter’s wifi SSID I cannot access that IP… the browser just times out.

Is there a special way to access the commissioning page on a slave inverter to configure it versus the master? I think the only thing I need to do is change the ID of the slave to ID 2 on the RS485-1 bus.

Great additional information and directions, much appreciated.

I got the issue figured out. In case anyone else has the same issue… for some reason that slave inverter would not bring up the commissioning page via the IP… so, I just signed up for a SE Installer account and downloaded SetApp. That worked like a charm. Loving this integration!

Any ideas/who can help?

• SolarEdge SE16k inverter CPU version 4.17.615
  • Modbus TCP enabled
  • Modbus TCP port 502

No logbook events found
all entities status “unkown”

try modbus port 1502
the inverter can run either on 502 or 1502 … for me, it started working as soon as I used the second port.

also, check the logs from the integration. it should highlight if it could not establish a connection to the inverter…
Also, are you using wireless or wired connection?

Thanks.

502 is in the inverter
connection wired

connected with anything else to the modbus interface of the inverter?
The SolarEdge does only allow one client connection being active on that interface.

1 Like

No other connections…

In the full log I found:

2023-01-10 22:54:26.088 WARNING (SyncWorker_2) [homeassistant.loader] We found a custom integration solaredge_modbus which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant

wow, if you need more than one Modbus TCP connection, you should use this addon:

Modbus Proxy

that’s why I asked if there is anything else that connects to your inverter :slight_smile:
But since you mentioned, that there are no other connections, I did not recommend the Modbus Proxy…
(which can be run as HA Addon - or standalone)…

1 Like

Hi, does anyone knows how often solaredge updates its meter values? I’m polling every second and I see changes in values only every 5 seconds. Is this limitation on the solaredge side?

I poll /3 sec with the integration and it updates that often. Looking at the SolarEdge app it is faster than 5 seconds even on that.

yes, inverter values are updating frequently, but the meter (external meter connected to inverter via modbus) values under m1_* are updated only every 5 sec.

is it a solar edge meter?
It might be, that the meeter does have a different update intervall…