Custom Component: SolarEdge Modbus TCP

Thanks for the link. I just have tried an app in the trail version, called “solarMon Try” which allows testing the modbus TCP-connection to a solaredge Inverter and it works. I had to enter “2” for the “Device ID” and I got values from my inverter. Where can I change the device-ID in your Project?

Thanks a lot!

Currently you can’t configure this, but if you want to you can try and change this line linked below to use unit id 2 instead in your local installation. You have to restart HA after making the change. Easiest way is with visual code addon if you are not experienced with other tools.

I can always add support for it through configuration.yaml when you have verified it working

solaredge-modbus-hass/custom_components/solaredge_modbus at c9d1c934c0e03cf6634de5386f38320e922b131c · erikarenhill/solaredge-modbus-hass · GitHubinit.py#L36

Heureka, it works. Thank you very much.
It’s in the “init.py” at line 36:
client = ModbusClient(host, port=port, unit_id=2, auto_open=True)

I changed the unit_ID form “1” to “2” and I got values. Great! :smiley:

A possibility to enter the unit_ID in the configuration.yaml is a great idea, Erik.

Has anyone noticed of late modbus just stopped working ?

I dont get any connectivity on either port 502 or 1502 any more

Wifi is no longer supported by SolarEdge, very annoying.

If your firmware has upgraded you need to switch to ethernet for ModbusTCP.

Thanks – just wanted to make sure it wasnt me.
Ive got an open support call with SolarEdge about it – unfortunately my inverter does not have ethernet.

There is likely an Ethernet port inside the unit.

According to SE and my installer, unfortunately not – its an extra addon.
I went through this at install time because i wanted ethernet and not wireless due to its location. I ended up using it as a good reason to upgrade my wireless network.

As far as I know, most Solaredge inverters have an ethernet port, without the need of a extra add-on. Which model do you have?

Maybe i misunderstood – i looked up the spec sheet and it does mention ethernet.

Reading the email from the installers again, I think they meant optional additonal cost on INSTALL, although thats very much having to read between the lines.

I guess im running some cable to my inverter on a spare weekend!

I have plugged in an Ethernet to wifi adaptor so I have a 30cm ethernet cable out of my inverter.

SolarEdge don’t recommend it, but it works.

Hey, just dropping a note here in case anyone else has experienced the same thing…

Earlier this week my Modbus TCP via Wifi stopped working. I was getting ERROR 9 in the logs. When I checked the PV inverter it was still on the network, it was still transmitting to the SE cloud. Nothing else had changed on my network. All very strange.

I logged a ticket with SE to see if they had messed with my firmware or changed my settings, they said they had not.

So I installed a Cat5 cable today, got to crawl around under the house and connect it to my SE5000 inverter and it all started working again.

Not sure if this is a bigger thing that SE have changed but not acknowledged (I know they removed modbus TCP over wifi a while back, but I was on old firmware), or if anyone else is having the same problem.

Are you sure the firmware didn’t update?

Reality is anyone planning on using TCP modbus to monitor their SE inverter should be planning on a hardwired connection going forward.

I asked SE via ticket and they said it had not been, but I’m dubious.

I agree though, if you can’t hardwire it then you can’t expect the modbus data stream to be available long term.

Hi Erik,
I trully love this project, and it is working like a charm. I do have a question about changing the model.
I have a SE5K-RWBTEBEN4, a 3 phase dual string inverter. It would be nice to see the powerproduction of both strings. The SE app is showing, so maybe the modbus is also capable.

Hi @erikarenhill,
I am using another “SolarEdge Modbus” integration at the moment (https://github.com/binsentsu/home-assistant-solaredge-modbus)

I don’t know what the differences between your component and the other one might be, but I think, it could be a benefit for both integrations (and also for people who search for the option to monitor their inverter throught modbus) if both projects could be merged together?

In addition, I want to share some further tipps about the topic that the SolarEdge Inverter can only handle one Modbus Connection.

I had the problem, that after my wallbox (charging station for an EV) required data from the Inverter and therefore, I lost the possibility to monitor my Inverter-Status with HomeAssistant.

The Solution which I have found is:
ha-mobdusproxy (https://github.com/Akulatraxas/ha-modbusproxy)
This is an addon, which can be installed.
You should connect this to your inverter - and everything else, your monitoring component, the Wallbox or what ever else you want to connect with your inverter to this addon (same IP than your HomeAssistant setup)…

It will then provide the modbus readings to all clients connected to the proxy.

EDIT: nevermind… Apparently some bright light at Solaredge decided to kill this functionality recently.

I have followed your steps to the letter, but it still appears not to be working with my SE3500. When performing a port scan after these steps I also cannot find any open ports on the IP of the inverter. Homeassistant only provides the below (logging level set to debug).

Anyone any ideas?

Logger: custom_components.solaredge_modbus.sensor
Source: custom_components/solaredge_modbus/sensor.py:213
Integration: SolarEdge Modbus (documentation)
First occurred: 11:28:01 (79 occurrences)
Last logged: 11:35:29

exception: 'int' object is not callable

Yep, hardwired only. no more modbus over wifi

Interesting. I finally got a support agent to reveal it wasnt MEANT to be removed, it was an oversight.
My inverter got a firmware upgrade today and its back!

Whether this is fact, or the support agent telling me what i want to hear remains to be seen.

I was pretty insistent with them that i wanted an answer if this was done on purpose and why.

Hi, I’m having the issue of not having modbus over wifi anymore.

It would be great if they can switch it back on. Dit he mention anything else about the firmware upgrade?
Do I need to upgrade the firmware or is it done remotely by SolarEdge?