Custom Component: SolarEdge Modbus TCP

ok, so I went up to the roof. Turned the lever briefly to P, then connected my phone to SolarEdge AP. On my phone I visited the WiFi gateway IP, which is the actual solaredge device: 172.16.0.1

Under Site communication ModBus was already enabled (not surprisingly, since I was successfully reading inverter data for over a year), port is in default 1502.

But again, home assistant still cant communicate with the inverter, connection refused :frowning:

2022-11-19 18:09:20.835 ERROR (MainThread) [pymodbus.client.sync] Connection to (192.168.0.6, 1502) failed: [Errno 111] Connection refused

If I do a quick portscan on the inverter, it does not listen on port 1502, so Iā€™m a bit lost:
kƩp

Anyone, any idea what could be the culprit?

My StorEdge inverter converts - fixed IP-address in IoT network - from time to time to a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx (?) network IP-adress. During those times I get the connection refused errno 111.

2022-11-18 18:14:39.010 ERROR (SyncWorker_0) [pymodbus.client.sync] Connection to (192.168.xxx.xxx, 1502) failed: [Errno 111] Connection refused

Is your inverter steady on your fixed IP-address?

well, I assigned a static IP in mikrotik for the inverter, not in the device itsels. Iā€™ve never noticed it loosing its IP address, so Iā€™d say yes, itā€™s quite steady. I can ping it ANYTIME, but it wonā€™t accept now connection to port 1502.

Iā€™ll climb up to the roof again - at least itā€™s sunny and not raining now :slight_smile: -, and see if the 120 sec initial connection receiving after enabling modbus is my problem or not.

well, I tried again, but to no avail. Tried disabling then enabling modbus TCP, changing port, but hassio only says connection refused.

Also, I did not find any ethernet port on the device :(:(:(: itā€™s model number is: SE 12.5K - RW0T0BNN4
on the side sticker where the wifi password is written it is also only mentions wifi mac address, no ethernet macā€¦ would it be possible that is doesnā€™t have ethernet port?? then how will I get modbus reporting again? :smiley:

UPDATE: I tried turning off the inverter and back to see if it helps. Well, when turning off and on modbus in the inverter, I DID receive the message from the inverter about network listening started for 300 sec, what other were mentioning. But even during this period, any connection was refused by the inverterā€¦ sux.

I have an UTP wired StorEdge SE8K.

There has been some changes in the firmware for the SetApp versions of the SolarEdge inverters, mentioning the modbus over (secured) WiFi. Please check if you have the latest firmware running that allows you to run the modbus over secured WiFi.

Please check this SolarEdge webpage for the information about the latest firmware updates.

1 Like

hm, wonder what does secure and unsecure wifi to solaredge, tried to find some definition on it, without succesā€¦

the installer will hopefully come back in a couple of weeks to install some additional panels, Iā€™ll ask them to update the firmware, and also to plug in an UTP cable to avoid this problem in the future (to plug in UTP I realised you have to open the cover and plug it into the motherboard, and feed the cable through a rubber enclosing, so itā€™s not a job for the average Joe like me).

Until then Iā€™m stuck with the monitoring API integration I guess.

This is the best way to get a 100% solid connection to your inverter and indeed never tinker the inside of an inverter if youā€™re not certified to do so (like me). :wink:

Good luck consulting with your installer.

1 Like

yep, good luck indeed, since the energy price crisis, people in my country (Hungary) went nuts to install solar power (like it wasnā€™t an existing alternative before, nvmā€¦). I placed my purchase order 6 months ago with a not so small downpayment, and I still canā€™t get a date for plugging in 6 panels into an existing installation.

BTW, I wonder what the company is doing currently, since our government was ā€œkindā€ enough to effectively kill consumer solar power business by denying power export into the grid for future installations (only battery usage is possible currently, crazy, eh?)

you can probably check the firmware version with set app.
Or:
Use the SolarEdge API integration which comes as default with the HA Core.

That does provide information of the Firmware versions:

At least, that could help you to identify if this is an possible issue with the firmware.

THen, I would get in contact with the SolarEdge support.
They can also update the firmware if it is related to the Wifi in combination with the Firmware.

2 Likes

aham, great tip Chris, thanks, this is my firmware what the API reports, it is indeed older than expexted:

Question now: can I anyhow force a firmware update? Unfortunately I canā€™t use the SetApp, with my regular monitoring credentials it wonā€™t let me log in to the app. I can only use the inverterā€™s admin page after I connect to its AP.

SolarEdge can do it remotely if I ask them? Should I contact my solarpanel dealer how installed SolarEdge, or SolarEdge directly?

Thanks for helping me with this issue :slight_smile:

4.15.119 is the relevant one :wink:
With this, afaik - they had disabled Modbus over wifi.

So, you need to get in contact with SE support to get the fixed version

2 Likes

oh, for fXckā€™s sakeā€¦

so ethernet it isā€¦

as said,
their support can do another firmware update where these issues should be resolved, as far as I can say.
But since I donā€™t have wifi connected devices, I canā€™t say for sure.

1 Like

Hi all, has anyone implemented an automatism that sends a notification if the inverter is not available? It happened to me after a blackout that the inverter didnā€™t restart, I noticed it after several hours.
Thanks

I can confirm with firmware 4.16.23 that ModBusTCP over wifi is functional.

https://www.solaredge.com/aus/setapp-inverters-firmware

1 Like

I tried to get my modbus tcp working tonight, and I was able to get it enabled on my master inverter. But, my slave inverter (I have 2 inverters and 1 meter) must not be ID 2 on the RS485-1 bus as Iā€™m getting an error during setup of the integration that it gets no response from inverter ID 2.

So, I then tried to get to my slave inverterā€™s commissioning page by following the same steps to enable wifi that I did on the master and then accessing 172.16.0.1 on the slave inverterā€¦ however, when I connect to the slave inverterā€™s wifi SSID I cannot access that IPā€¦ the browser just times out.

Is there a special way to access the commissioning page on a slave inverter to configure it versus the master? I think the only thing I need to do is change the ID of the slave to ID 2 on the RS485-1 bus.

Great additional information and directions, much appreciated.

I got the issue figured out. In case anyone else has the same issueā€¦ for some reason that slave inverter would not bring up the commissioning page via the IPā€¦ so, I just signed up for a SE Installer account and downloaded SetApp. That worked like a charm. Loving this integration!

Any ideas/who can help?

• SolarEdge SE16k inverter CPU version 4.17.615
  • Modbus TCP enabled
  • Modbus TCP port 502

No logbook events found
all entities status ā€œunkownā€

try modbus port 1502
the inverter can run either on 502 or 1502 ā€¦ for me, it started working as soon as I used the second port.

also, check the logs from the integration. it should highlight if it could not establish a connection to the inverterā€¦
Also, are you using wireless or wired connection?

Thanks.