[Custom Component] Tapo: Cameras Control

Trust me, I understand. I am not the cause why the integration broke. TPLink updated firmware. You are free to use the same firmware and never upgrade the integration, or Home Assistant, and have a flawless working system forever (just block wan from camera, please). If I did not make the update for the new firmware, nothing would work.
I experience the same frustration multiplied by having to resolve it, with very limited hw (only C200) that I have, with which I often cannot replicate the issue others are having. If I can’t replicate it, I need the users experiencing the issue to provide as much information as possible, in some cases even access to the camera or rely on other developers who appear and help solve the issue since they can replicate it. See for example Hub does not work on the newest firmware and 5.4.8 · Issue #455 · JurajNyiri/HomeAssistant-Tapo-Control · GitHub just from today, literarily minutes ago.
There are multiple users daily who do not take the time to write proper description with as much detail as possible, properly describe their problem or even provide logs. They simply often say something along the lines “No work. I mad. I demand fix.”. And/Or do not read readme, search other issues before asking etc. Just look at this invalid or duplicate issues.

2 Likes

Hi All, is there a simple way to connect a camera in a different house , on a different router and wifi to my Home Assistant instance at home? We have a cabin in the woods and would like to monitor that camera from home…
I tried entering the IP of that camera, but since its a totally different setup, the
IP is already taken by another device at home.
Thank you !

You will need to port forward the ports and have public ip, but it is not smart as this will expose your camera to the world, especially if you do not know too much about these things. Ideally just use the Tapo app.

Motion detection issues after any update solved for me by reenabling motion detection in TAPO app

Since they added this new encryption, is there certain models one should avoid? I am considering buying C420S2 and use it as a baby cam, but want to integrate it into HA at some point when our new house is done

Almost got it working through Smartthings… The Tapo Cameras and Thermometers are linked to my Smartthings account on my phone, and with the Smart Things integration I got the thermometer data into my Home Assistant instance at home !
Just the camera feeds are not working… I can see the binary_sensor for motion only… so close !

So should i suggest you install this " Tapo: Camera_Control integration " or should you Re-Direct your questions, to the Smarthings-Integration ?

So close ! , and yet far far way off

Hi guys! First of all, thank you, it is a fantastic integration!

Can you help me please? Inn docs you said we can use the camera as media source. Could you please give an example, how can I use it? Home assistant does not list the camera as a media source for me. (C225)

Right, so originally I created this post, because I thought that the integration required me to sign up for the Tapo cloud account. Needless to say, I was wrong, and after pondering a bit more, I realized that the app actually has a password, so all good now.

Thank you so much for an easy (although it took me like 10 minutes) integration.

You don’t need any paid-service account
If your App passwd dont work, then just create an account

ohhh, right, just saw you “changed” your post above , while i was typig :wink:

Yeah, I had a couple of minutes of blonde, although I actually have a very limited quantity of hair… :slight_smile:

And apparently a very limited amount of patience, before “crying out loud” :wink: :slight_smile:

Would not call it “crying out loud”, but yeah, something like that :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve purchased a Tapo C320CWS as it’s on the supported list. I have configured the rtsp feed in frigate and it works with the QHD 4mp feed (stream1). So the rtsp feed is correct. I tried the same feed in VLC and it failed to work. Using stream2 worked with VLC.

The issue is, I can’t add the camera to the Home Assistant Tapo Custom Component as it fails after putting in the username/password. It returns the error to test the rtsp feed in VLC. As explained, VLC fails on stream1 but works on the sub stream2.

Is there a way to select the sub stream2 in the Custom App before entering credentials? I don’t want to loose out on the quality by lowering the camera resolution as I’m using that to record with frigate.

You can see here, that the camera has to be set to best quality to view it via rtsp -

“If you need to watch the 3MP HD Video via RTSP, please change the video quality to Best Quality on the Tapo APP and use: rtsp://IP Address/stream1”

Is this a catch 22 situation, where I can’t view or record at QHD if I want to view in Home Assistant?

Have you setup your cam through the Tapo App on your phone ?
There is no "options to set rstp in the initial setup, it’s the cams IP number, and the integration should "detect the Cam And the “streams” it provides .
Maybe you have your Cams stream in other places ? , so you’ve “used” the max RSTP streams, the device allow
EDIT: And “use” tick webhook and and “use” tick stream from HA , and RSTP transport TCP

Also: Don’t forget to create a “Camera Account” for 3rd party views in you Tapo App :wink:

PS: FWIW i have 4xC200 & 2xC310 in This Integration , And can watch both streams in VLC Also

Yeah, the camera was setup through my mobile phone and camera account is setup - same credentials I use in the rtsp stream for frigate. -
rtsp://frigate:[email protected]:554/stream1 - this doesn’t work in the HA Tapo Camera Control component, or VLC.

But - rtsp://frigate:[email protected]:554/stream2 does work in VLC and frigate.

As you can see in the error below, it’s only detecting/using stream1. Pretty much every rtsp/onvif camera has the main stream1 and sub stream2 for viewing as it’s a lower resolution.

“Invalid authentication data. Make sure you have created your 3rd party account via Tapo app. You can also test if these credentials work via rtsp stream, for example VLC using link rtsp://username:password@IP Address:554/stream1”

When I was trying to get it setup in frigate, I had the same authentication error as in the Tapo Control component - invalid credentials - until I adjusted the recording resolution to 2560 x 1440 - it worked straight away. So I think its something to do with the QHD resolution, if I could select stream2 in the component I’d be able to prove it.

Ok, bad luck, as the resolution seems to be the only major difference from c310
3MP | 2304x1296 |
4 MP | 2560 x 1440|

But if you remove/delete the cam from frigate and install the cam in This integration first , then you can use Stream2 ( and test if Stream1 works ) , however , as you want to use stream 1 in Frigate, then try to add it there, after you got your cam integrated here )(maybe disable the stream1-entity, in this integration first, if it doesnt actually works)

EDIT: Notice the “major” difference, 320 seems to just add “wide” perspective , so no actual loss/gains in picture quality

Right, this is not a Device, it’s a stream … you can use that in Generic camera integration(maybe)

PS: It’s the camera’s IP number and only the IP-number you have to add, when installing the cam in this Integration ( and the credentials from the 3rd part account, later ever passwd for cloud/Phone-App account

Read faq in readme.

I was referring to the credentials part of the rtsp stream as being the same as in the component add camera, sorry, my bad I should have made that clearer. I’m only putting in the IP then the credentials when the next box appears, it then fails with the credentials error - which are correct as they work in frigate.