[Custom Component] Tapo P100 Plug Control

Issue is persisting for me. I’m UK too!

What hardware and firmware versions does everyone have? I have:

Hardware Version 1.0.0
Firmware Version 1.3.3 Build 20200811 Rel. 52097

Same hardware version, and firmware is 1.3.2 for me.

Same: 1.0.0 / 1.3.3

One other thought: could it be the ‘install’ method?I Samba’d in from Mac OS and copied the folders. Could that leave some sort of permissions issue parsing data from one file to another?

after installing ssh and ls in the folder all permissions look OK

-wrxr–r-- root root

all files

Update:
Tryied The Remove - reset and re-add the plugs int the tapo app to no avail.
Same error
Using plain characters no spaces / uppercase to all name passwords etc.

Got it working…

Previously had the ‘Bad credentials’ error.

Reset one of the P100s. Signed out of the iOS app. Created a new account in the app, using a different email address (one character different, neither had special characters). Activated it and added the plug.

Notified me that the plug is ‘local control only’. Clicked on that message, and it enabled cloud control. This bit I’ve not seen before.

Now it appears in HA and works as expected!

So I wonder if this is about some sort of account permission…?

I think I’m having the same problem with the bulb. I have a plug and a bulb. UK. Changing password hasn’t helped.

Logger: custom_components.tapo_p100_control.switch
Source: custom_components/tapo_p100_control/switch.py:39
Integration: tapo_p100_control (documentation, issues) 
First occurred: 20:47:38 (1 occurrences) 
Last logged: 20:47:38

Could not connect to plug. Possibly invalid credentials

Fab news, got one working; have 4
Great work so far, thank you

I finally have four P100 plugs working together with the config below.

I was getting the “Possibly invalid credentials” error like so many of us. I tried every combination of single, double and no quotes. Finally, I removed the plugs from the Tapo app, changed my app password, reset each plug and re-added each one to the app. Not sure if it matters but, in the app, I named the plugs, “tapo1”, “tapo2”, etc. No spaces, dashes, uppercase or special characters. Again, I’m not sure if this relevant; just relaying what finally worked for me.

# TP-Link P100 Switches
switch:
  - platform: tapo_p100_control
    ip_address: 192.168.xx.200
    email: [email protected]
    password: password123
    ip_address: 192.168.xx.201
    ip_address: 192.168.xx.202
    ip_address: 192.168.xx.203
4 Likes

@Soos,

thanks for this - my syntax wasnt correct.
All working now.

@fishbigger, if you can work out how to simplify this or even get it into HACS would be great.
seems to be working a treat.

Great stuff. Love your work.

Hi, can you described me your setup tutorial about L510e? What I have to do? thank.

The settings are absolutely the same as for the P100. Instead of the ip address P100, I specify the ip of the bulb. That’s all. And it works

Ok, thanks. What is the email and password. Is it login to Tapo App? I have Tapo c200 with Tapo Camera Control but I do not have to write this parameters. Just name and password for this camera.

Are all bulb functions available? Or just off / on

Yes, login and password from the Tapo app. You need to set up your bulb once using the Tapo app. If necessary, update the firmware of the bulb using it. This custom component only allows you to turn it on and off for now, since it was designed for P100 plugs.

1 Like

Working perfectly! I tried the same setup but my syntax must’ve been off as without the hyphen it wasn’t working at all.

Got all 4 plugs working like this.

I was getting the “Possibly invalid credentials” error like so many of us. I tried every combination of single, double and no quotes. Finally, I removed the plugs from the Tapo app, changed my app password, reset each plug and re-added each one to the app. Not sure if it matters but, in the app, I named the plugs, “tapo1”, “tapo2”, etc. No spaces, dashes, uppercase or special characters. Again, I’m not sure if this relevant; just relaying what finally worked for me.

Thank you so much for this. This solution worked for me too.

I tried lots of smaller things before I got it to work. Hard resets, renaming, removing other devices etc. It only worked when, like you, I removed everything from the app, changed password, reset the devices then added them again. Not sure which of those solved the problem but I’d guess it has something to do with changing the password and starting from scratch. Between us, I think we could debug it via a process of elimination.

Annoyingly, if you then change the password in the app, then HA, it stops working again. Having to stick with the (rather too simple) password it was initially set up with!

Right, I’m sorry for all the trouble with the “Possibly invalid credentials” error I’m not sure why it is happening but currently @Soos’s method is the only way to get round it (I know it’s long winded)

Adding multiple plugs like how @Soos said will work but I’m working on seeing if polling tp-links api to get a device list like in the kasa implementation.

Finally, I will work on getting the bulbs implemented as well along with getting the integration on hacs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi! I have error in home assistant:
‘Platform error switch.tapo_p100_control - No module named PyP100’

Im with HA on a Raspberry pi 4

Thanks for the integration and sorry for my english