Custom Component: Yamaha (YNCA)

I used to have my receiver connected with a serial cable to a USB-to-serial converter directly on the Raspberry Pi that ran Home Assistant at the time. Later I moved to a more powerful machine further away and switched to network since then. Never used a network-to-serial converter so can’t really recommend one.

Btw, the RX-V673 does not seem to have a serial port according to the manual, but it does have a network connection. Why not just use that?
The integration also supports network connection.

Yes, you are right about the RX-V673, but I am looking at a RX-A830 instead of the V673. And as I said, the reason is that I hate that devices that I don’t want to use will populate the AirPlay/Chromecast/DLNA/Spotify Connect without any options to turn it off.
That’s the reason I looked into serial communication, and I found an old post by you which pointed me in this direction:

Ah indeed, the RX-A830 seems to still have a serial connector.

I have a RX-A810 that I had through te serial for quite some years and that worked great. I would assume it is the same for the RX-A830.

Any network-to-serial adapter should work that offers a normal (TCP) socket connection. In the integration you can then just Network connection when setting up and put in the IP and Port of the network-to-serial adapter and it should work.
I did experiment at some point with ser-2-net on a Raspberry Pi, but it was a hassle to setup in my opnion.

The info for the serial cable and settings is in the screenshot below from the protocol specification found here xttps://www.sdu.se/pub/yamaha/yamaha-ynca-receivers-protocol.pdf (note that the site gives a certificate warning for some reason so I made the link not clickable in case it is fishy. Change the x at the beginning in h if you still want to visit)