Custom Driver / WindowCoverings command class

Good morning,
I have 14 iBlinds Horizontal blind controllers in my home. I’ve been experiencing wonky behavior with them, and I’ve been back and forth with their support. I’ve been told several things, but not really offered a real world solution.

1. They suggested that I may be able to create a custom driver. Is this actually possible? I had searched for it, and what I saw suggested it was not in HA, unlike Hubitat or Smarthings.
  2. They suggested that HA needs to permit a Window Coverings command class, which they say no hub is currently implementing. To quote their CFO response to me:

Horizonal blinds are relatively new to the smart home environment. Z-Wave just recently implemented a specific command class for Window Coverings which includes horizontal blinds. However, to date, there are no hubs that have implemented the new command class. Instead, all hubs are still using the Z-Wave Multilevel Switch command class to support window coverings. While this works well for roller shades and curtains, it is not ideal for horizontal blinds where 50% is fully open and as you are aware can cause problems for our implementation.

1. There is an issue with battery reporting 100% until there is actually a low battery signal sent from the iBlinds controller. They claim that this is an issue with the HA driver. How would one address this issue.

So, my question, what an I do about these issues. Is this something that HA dev team needs to address, or is this something the ZWave JS team needs to be involved with?

No, there is no such thing for HA + Z-Wave JS.

HA is not the z-wave driver, it relies in Z-Wave JS for that. Since Z-Wave JS does not implement the command class, HA cannot make use of it.

See status of implemented CCs:

Window Covering has already been requested. You can give the request comment a “thumbs up” to voice your support.

Not enough information to determine this one. Perhaps you need to poll the battery level. Maybe they can give you more technical details as to the cause of the problem.

FYI, iBlinds has contributed to Z-Wave JS before with device files and they support the firmware update service, so there is somewhat of an established relationship. Maybe they can reach out to Z-Wave JS and explain the issues?

That’s what I had believed. Their response was that they thought since HA is open source, that you must be able to create custom drivers.

I’ll do that. I was pretty sure that Z-Wave JS was what needed to address the issue, but they were saying HA was the issue, not differentiating between the add-on and the controller itself.

I’ve tried polling the device, and I have an automation to poll it hourly. Again, I’m reporting what they claim is a “known issue”, and they keep talking about drivers. I had found another thread on this community where someone reported the same battery reporting problem, and that they did not have the issue with Homeseer. I had the same battery reporting issues with Vera, but it didn’t stay at 100%. It just didn’t update consistently.

I’m glad to hear this. Hopefully they are trying to address these problems. I’ve spent a lot of money on these, and they give me constant headaches.