Custom home mdi icon

Hello. How do i change the home icon?

I changed all the others in group.yaml, by specifying icon: mdi:icon-name.

But how do i change the default home icon?

Thanks

lovelace or default?

in lovelace its just

views:
  - icon: mdi-icon
  - title: Your Home Name Here

in the old interface its

default_view:
  name: Your Home Name Here
  view: yes
  icon: mdi:icon-name

edit: Should have noted that in lovelace you will have an entire section for each ‘icon’d section’. In the old interface you’ll have a separate ‘view’ for each icon’d section. If that makes sense.

I added this in groups.yaml and it worked.

default_view:
  name: Your Home Name Here
  icon: mdi:icon-name

But isn’t lovelace the default interface?

There’s an issue. Everything disappeared from my home screen now. :frowning:

lovelace doesn’t use groups. Have you set lovelace as the default?

My home url is this
http://192.168.1.35:8123/lovelace/default_view
So I’m guessing I’m using lovelace.

But I have created groups in groups.yaml

weather:
 name: Weather
 control: hidden
 entities:
 - weather.dark_sky
 - sensor.yr_symbol
 - sun.sun

view_weather:
 name: WEATHER
 icon: mdi:weather-cloudy
 entities:
 - group.weather

when you say blank screen, have you tried refreshing? Have you looked at the configuration checker to see that all your configs are valid. Lovelace will blank out if anything is done wrong. It could be as simple as an extra space somewhere.

You’re actually better off not using groups since lovelace can load the entities without having to reload groups or restart home-assistant all together.

yes, I refreshed, and I also checked the config. Home is empty. As soon as I remove the lines below from groups.yaml, Home is full of my devices again.

default_view:
  name: Home
  icon: mdi:home-outline

you probably should be doing everything in lovelace only.

Lovelace doesn’t know how to find this because it uses a different method i believe. It doesn’t look for groups.

I understand the ease of doing things in the web UI, but I find it a lot more interesting, knowing what to change to get the desired results. For example I know that adding the bold line shown below, will convert the word WEATHER, to the weather icon.

If there’s a way I’d prefer doing this using yaml files.

view_weather:
name: WEATHER
icon: mdi:weather-cloudy
entities:

• group.weather

I don’t understand what you mean? I don’t do anything in the web interface. everything I do is done through a command line.

When I say lovelace I’m referring to the actual lovelace.yaml file, not any kind of point and click interface.

yeah, you can edit the ui-lovelace.yaml file.

At this point I’m sorry, I’m just really confused as to what you’re trying to achieve.

I want to make the word “Home” into an mdi icon using yaml files, not the web ui.

Its in post #2, using ui-lovelace.yaml

I tried ui-lovelace.yaml method, using this guide

It basically forces me to rebuild the whole UI from scratch, defining each view, including Home, manually.

Whereas currently when I add a new entity, it’s automatically added to the Home page, and then I can sort it in any view I want using groups.yaml.

That’s a lot of effort just to change the Home word to an mdi icon.

Well yes, because lovelace is the future. It sucks that you can put so much work in to something but lovelace comes in and changes that. But guess what? That’s just the way it is sometimes.

Here is a tool for old ui to lovelace migration that does the building for you. Then after that you can edit the yaml till the cows come home. Its what most people on the old UI did to get moving over.

I set up a new installation of HA from scratch. v0.90.2. I clicked on “Configure UI” and I can create views and add entities in badges as I need to. No problem, I’ll set everything up again from scratch.

Is it possible for lovelace, to automatically populate a .yaml file, according to the changes I make on the web UI?

you can still use your old original UI by selecting it as the default in the settings.

just go to the dev sectin and at the very bottom right is a circle with an i in it. click that then click on “set states as default page on this device” button.

It will then always use the old states UI just as you are used to and it will give you time to figure out how to migrate to a full lovelace ui.

So to clarify, are you still having a problem making the “Home” into an icon or did you sort that out?

I don’t want to use anything old. I’m setting everything up from scratch again. But I want all the configuration in yaml files. Even if I make changes in the web UI. (lovelace). Is this possible?

No, you can only use one or the other of either the yaml file or the web ui to manage lovelace. Not both. Except…

there is a kind of work around that some people use that, IMHO, is way too much work to be worth it if you are using yaml mode anyway.

in the UI there is a way to manually add config to the ui based file. It’s called “raw”. to get there you need to not be using yaml mode at all then click on the top right three dot menu to “configure ui” then click on the three dot menu aian and select “raw”. That will open the ui generated file for manual editing.

But you can’t use comments, it doesn’t necessarily save the formatting the way you had it when you saved it and, most importantly for me, you can’t use any !include statements to allow you to split the file up into more manageable pieces. Not to mentio that the people who use that method are continually copy/pasting their config back and forth between an online & offline editor. That’s way too much work for me without much of any benefit.

That’s why I don’t use the hybrid method. I just use straight yaml mode and be done with it.