Custom messages over serial

Hi,

I have several arduino srf shields(ciseco site is down because they closed) a rpi shield and a usb receiver. They use rf to send to eachother and use on arduino the Serial port.
Is it possible to use them together with Home Assistant.
I have has running on the rpi and i want to send and receive message(temp sensors data, send command to arduino to switch relay etc) is this possible?

You could use pyserial to communicate with the arduino over usb. Not sure about the rf part. There are several transceivers out there, depends on what the shields use.

i have a shield for the RPI and have 3 shields for arduino. What I get from your message is that i would have to make a custom plugin for it?

look into this: Node-RED POST node

I have a raspberyr pi with an arduino (ninblock from here http://shop.ninjablocks.com/pages/picrust)
The project is now defunct and fully maintained by contributors, forums, etc, however, I was able to:
-install node red
-setup the py-serial to send/receive RF 433 Mhz signals
-configured node red to read the 433 signals and be able to use it to continue sending/receiving…etc…

some instructions here https://discuss.ninjablocks.com/t/node-red/1069/113
but I’ll upload a new updated one if you need it. Let me know.

:frowning: currently struggling with connecting Node-red / HASS / MQTT

I will try this tonight. I don’t have an arduino connected to my rpi but rather have a transceiver connected to my rpi that sends messages to other arduinos wireless

with several arduinos and an rpi i would check out mysensors.

i have quit a lot arduinos running and its gettin more and more.
1 is connected to my rpi through usb as gateway, and i have 2 esp8266 running elsewhere in the house as wifi gateway.
through the gateways all my other arduinos talk with hass.

the arduinos have tempsensors, humiditysensors, lightsensors, distancesensors, motiondetectors, sounddetectors, relays, etc.
all are working with Hass.

I’ve tried mysensors but they only work with certain hardware.
I have this transceivers from ciseco and i’m trying to use them so i don’t have to buy anything new

i started out with some other parts as well.
but after i tried it out with 1 nrf24 and saw how much i could do with mysensors, i bought some more.

they are just 1 or 2 euro each, so for that i wouldnt bother to find out different ways.
and i am very happy i did.

Maybe i’m going to buy them but for now i’m trying to use the ones i have because the’re unused for too long :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you connect your arduino through mqtt? Im trying to have node-red send messages to my mqtt broker and HASS to read and reply back to interact with each other… I havent been succesful! :frowning:

Any ideas?
Im using this for now:
sensor:
platform: mqtt
state_topic: “ninjaCape/input/11”
name: “Movement Sensor”
value_template: ‘{% if value == 010101010101010100000000 %} On {% else %} Off {% endif %}’

however, Im not sure what state topic is node red sending or set. I probably need to find a subscriber that can read TLS (my broker uses it) to determine what subjects are being broadcast?

nope no mqtt.

i use mysensors with serial and wifi gateway.

i think that using mqtt with mysensors is not the wise way.
a wifi or serial gateway reports directly to hass so mysensors => hass

and if i understand correctly if you use mqtt you need 1 step in between so mysensors => mqttbroker => hass.

because everything is inside my home (mysensors and hass) why would i put something extra in between?

understood. Yep I have everything within the “house” (broker, hass… no mysensors yet… but all hosted within my computer)

noted, since I have the RPi with the ninjacape, not sure if I’ll be able to use the mysensors the same way. in any event… still waiting to integrate one with the other.
Thanks for the prompt response

you can use an esp8266 with an nrf24 as completly independent sensor anywhere in the house and report through the wifi to hass if you use the mysensors sketch on the esp.

and if you have 1 esp reporting to wifi you can have any number of esp and arduinos reporting to that gateway esp.

Hi ReneTode,

I like Sennevds have Ciseco SRF/XRF hardware that I’d like to get working with HASS, but looking at your post, seems that it might be prudent to head down the Arduino route (Ciseco is no longer supported since being bought by another company). Do you have any idiots guides or decent links that bring this alltogether (Arduino/HASS)

Many thanks.

the most basic way i know is to use mysensors.

you find it at mysensors.org

its quite easy to install in hass

hey @Bananaskin i’ve made a custom component for the ciseco srf/xrf if you want I will share the code.
It’s far from complete. For example i’ve only implemented the switch .
For the arduino ino i use the example WIKISKETCH from LLAPSerial

Hi @Sennevds I decided to look into @ReneTode 's solution, have ordered a NodeMcu ESP8266 and a DHT22 from eBay £7.50 and will use the local mqtt sensor in Home-Assistant. Think the Ciseco allbeit a great platform lacks native support.