Customising the BOM Weather and lovelace - now in HACS

Of also if the BOM says Coldstream instead of Melbourne then make sure the entity also says Coldstream.
The ENTITY you parse through has to exist.

Hi DavidFW1960,

Just wanted to write here to show my appreciation on your work for the BOM forecast and the custom weather card.

The HA default weather cardā€™s temperature is often Ā± 5 compared to whatā€™s showing on BOM so BOM is definitely more favourable.

It took me two tries to get it working. Iā€™m new to Home assistant and I run Hassio on my synology NAS.
Through your instruction in both the BOM forecast and the weather card repo, I slowly geared up my understanding of HA configuration yaml, wiring the package folder and put the weather yaml in, wiring the secret folder, learning how to read the HA documentation together with your instruction etc.

My first try failed on the bom_forecast because I picked a station that does not have forecast information! And I just couldnā€™t figure out why you get all of the _1 to _6 sensors and none was showing in my entities!

Tonight I decided to try another forecast product ID and this time everything just worked!

So in summary, the instruction definitely requires a bit of fiddling to get it to work fully but itā€™s do-able by a HA newbie like me!

Thank you again and keep safe!

4 Likes

WARNING RE: 0.116.x

Version 0.116 will blow up this card at the moment. I will try and get it fixed but maybe hold off upgrading for a bitā€¦

1 Like

I was just considering joining the beta when I saw your post on discord.

Yeah. It blew up a few other cards as well so Iā€™m hoping there will be some guidance. Been having a dream run till nowā€¦

1 Like

Not sure whats going on here. The weather icon looks wrong. Not sure how long itā€™s been like this as there hasnā€™t been much sun in Melbourne for a while.

Check the state of the icon in dev toolsā€¦

Even more confusing now. Itā€™s windy today but still the wrong icon for wind?

Is it something to do with the times? Start time local looks right but issue time hasnā€™t occurred yet?

ok so what do you have for old_icons in config? Default is true so maybe try false or hybrid. (Hybrid is a mix of old and new) The original icons didnā€™t have an icon for windy. Make sure you get the latest icons if you havenā€™t already

I had no entry in my config for old_icons: Tried setting it to false made no difference. Tried hybrid and itā€™s resolved. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

you may need to put false in ā€˜ā€™ā€¦ is ā€˜falseā€™
I have a view in HA that displays all possible icon options and false works hereā€¦

Ok GOOD NEWS. @theRat Simon has fixed this for 0.116.x compatability. Also backwards compatable with 0.115.6 etcā€¦
Simon also wrote the excellent BOM Radar Card

2 Likes

Thanks Simon and Dave, working again 0.116.

1 Like

Yeah. Itā€™s all thanks to Simonā€¦

No probs all. I lifted the fix from another card that had the problem.

1 Like

Ha!!
I tried that as wellā€¦ scanned all the weather cards that had been updated and couldnā€™t find a fix. Kudos to you anyway. You knew better than me what to look for. Honestly Iā€™m just hacking the work of others and adding options in my component/card. Iā€™m standing on the shoulders of giants lol.

Hi David, I have done but a HA restart and chrome reload and still not having any luck getting the card to show. I can see errors when loading up F12. Have I missed the fix other than a restart? Thank you!

Have you updated to latest version? Are you on HA 0.116.x? There was an update to this card for 0.116.
If this is the first time you have tried to use the card, the most common problem is parsing non existent entities to the cardā€¦ More infor needed from you to help with this.

Thank you for your reply, I really appriciate it! I updated from 115 directly to 116.1. Okay, so how would I go about fixing the parsing non exsitent entities?