Daikin Altherma heat pump monitoring

Are you sure it’s 230V, it’s using one off the power groups (3 phase).
The power formula for 3 phase is SQRT(3) * loadfactor * V * I

Or would it be possible the voltage for this model is available on a different register? How did you come up with these registers anyway? Trial and error? Maybe I can still find the proper voltage or power values somewhere?

In a 3-phase installation, you have 3 phases of 230v each but in different phase. So yes it should be 230v. Now, some users also reported missing information for voltage or flow.
The 0x21,2 register you used is most probably the Amperage (60 with conversion 101 would be 6Amp) and probably fluctuates overtime while your voltage should not.
Register information is deduced from the DaikinMonitor software for Windows.

What is your model and what cop do you get with 230 as voltage?

NB: feel free to open an issue to discuss this in github, that makes every related discussion centralized.

Thank, I opened an issue to stop polluting this thread.

Great project! :+1:

I’ve just ordered M5StickC and I can’t wait to get it. :slight_smile:

Do you happen to know which #include shall I select to support my older Daikin Altherma heat pump (EHVH08S26C9W)?

I too have EHVH08S26C9W (with 270L water storage). Found one spare ESP32 at home and hope to try this today.

Any tips before I start?

Without any tips I managed to make it work in first try which is very rare for me :). ESP32 for now and I dragged the cable outside. Have that mini ESP32 ordered with display and enclosure. Will mount it inside later when received.

First step as soon as it started sending data was to buy author a beer. Well deserved one.

Next steps will be to figure out what parameters I can received in how to use them in home assistant and graphs. Any tips regarding this?

1 Like

Hi, might this be used for other Daikin heatpumps (e.g. single-split systems or multi-splits) that are not Altherma?

I’m trying to work out which brand of heatpump to install that will be compatible with HA via a local wifi (non-cloud) connection. Mitsubishi is on my list, but if this excellent-looking project will work for non-Altherma products then Daikin could be a contender as well.

Does anyone here have any thoughts or insights into this?

Dear @raomin,

do you think my Daikin Altherma EHVX16S26CB9W could be monitored with your solution? If yes, which definition should I use?

This would be fantastic, I recently had my SolarEdge 12 kWp solar system installed, and having the two systems talking to each other to fully harness the power of the Sun would be fantastic.

However, first I just want solve data monitoring an all systems, SolarEdge is now talking to my HA server via modbus integration, together with my thermostat system (which is in direct connection with my Altherma for heating and cooling), and reading heatpump sensors is the last missing piece from the puzzle…

Hello @Guesswho620,

Yes, it’s an Altherma so it should work :slight_smile:
There are very little differences between definition files. Go with ALTHERMA(LT_CA_CB_11-16KW).h I believe it should give you everything you need.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

-Raomin

ok, I’m very excited, because this will be my first attempt on tapping into one of my home component on a hardware level, which I’m not used to, but can’t wait to do it :slight_smile: wonder what will my installer say on yearly maintenance occasion when he sees it, I wonder it if voids any warranty… anyhow, I just ordered my K016-D - M5StickC ESP32-PICO Mini, it will get here next week, and I’ll report back once I’m done.

Can I have a couple of questions in advance?

• I’d like to connect my SolarEdge inverter to my Altherma, do I understand correctly that with this solution I’ll be able to do it? If yes, how should I handle it, simply recommended on, and Altherma will do rest? Is this the optimal solution?
  • right now I don’t have any electricity consumption meter at all. I plan to put one before the official meter to measure our FULL consumption, so I can track my grid import-export balance, but for the Solar integration to the heatpump, I need a separate measurement point on the 3 phase of the heatpump, right? Then what do I do with this data later on in the config exactly? Also, can someone recommend me reliable, network connected power meter devices? I have many Shelly devices, could their power meter work, or should I use something more robust for this purpose?
  • what is the real reason behind using an extra ON/OFF switch on the heatpump, under what circumstance would/should I use it? Doesn’t it hurt the heatpump if I turn it on/off regularly independently of its own program/scheduling, based on requested heat values?

Many many thanks if anyone can clear my head on these topics…

best

Hi @Guesswho620,

Few clarifications: ESPAltherma allows you to report a lot of detailed information on the operation of your heatpump. It does it by connecting to an internal serial port. This is its main feature.

What you want to achieve is, if I understand correctly, to drive you heat pump based on your solar production. Eg: it’s sunny, electricity is available, turn on Domestic Hot Water, etc…
To do this, you need a smart grid module on your heat pump first. For Daikin it’s: BRP069A61.
This module brings a 2 wire control SG1/SG2 to connect to your solar inverter that should be compatible with.
Now, people are not very happy with it, see Smart Grid functions · Issue #3 · raomin/ESPAltherma · GitHub and internally this module is just connecting to another port (X85A) to basically tells the HP “go! take whatever you want” or “you’re on a diet!”. Maybe one day I’ll hack this port too so ESPAltherma can change it directly.

What ESPAltherma can already do is to fake a thermostat ; so you can control when it should heat up your house… This, in my opinion, with a bit of HA logic, could be sufficient to optimize the heating consumption with your solar panel setup. Eg: it’s 19 degC, I should have some sun/electricity in few hours (weather forecast), let’s turn on heating when there is sun… etc.

Hope all this is clear. Have fun with your installation.
Also don’t hesitate to report issues or question on the github project: Issues · raomin/ESPAltherma · GitHub

-Raomin

yep, indeed, it did help a lot, I hope you’ll hack the hell out of that X85A one day :slight_smile:

but wait, did I completely misunderstand this? Isn’t this exactly what I’m looking for? You wrote on github:
" Step 4 (optional) - Smart grid features

ESPaltherma can also integrate with SG-Ready options of your heat pump. To do so, uncomment and configure PIN_SG1 and PIN_SG2 in src/setup.c and send one of the allowed values (0…3) to MQTT channel espaltherma/sg/set. Current SG mode will be available in espaltherma/sg/state.

Of course, you will need to use 2 more relays to open/close SG1 and SG2 contacts of your heat pump."

So basically with two more relays, based on the readings coming into from the inverter to Home Assistant (what is my current solar energy production), I could already mimic the behaviour of the official BRP069A61, couldn’t I???

SG0 and SG1 are native in Rotex heatpumps but, to my knowledge, for DAIKIN they only come with BRP069A61.
And yes, if you have SG0 or SG1 (either natively on Rotex or through BRP069A61) ESPAltherma can interact with it with 2 more relays.
But if you don’t have SG0 /SG1 then ESPAltherma cannot do anything.

I’ll clarify this on the readme page. This is indeed a bit confusing for now…

got ya, now it’s clear!! thx a lot!

Dear @raomin , please help this noob a little a further :slight_smile:

As I mentioned, I’m new to this hardware level thingy, I received my mc5stickc, and I’m stuck with the firmware upload part. I was a bit struggling with platformio (realizing it’s working under VSC and stuff), during upload upload port was not found, so I stated it as COM3 in the project’s platformio.ini file.

But now I get this error message when I try to upload:

Serial port COM3
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header
*** [upload] Error 2

Is there anything special I should do with the device to accept the firmware? Is my port definition allright?

EDIT: I should mention that I’m trying to flash it via VScode, with the USB-C cable I received with the device. Currently it has a demo ROM on it, which showcases the device’s functionalities, gyroscope, microphone, bluetooth, etc. I can cycle between the functions with both buttons on the device, and that’s it. Can’t find anything useful on Google how to upload anything to this little bastard. M5Burner program (to erase the device completely) also cannot connect to it via COM3.

I can’t do anything with this stupid m5stickc :frowning: :frowning:
No matter what computer, what USB cable I try, communicating with this bastard via USB is impossible :frowning:
Tried:

• adding Silicone VCP driver
  • short circuit G0 and GND with dupont cable
  • restarting while opening the port
  • setting ALL different baud rates

Nada, nyente, nothing.
I fear I won’t have this great ESPAltherma thingy up and running :frowning:

Hmmm. First don’t force the com port. It should find it itself. Force speed to 115200. Try with the m5 turned off (long press on the left button) then try when just powered on.
You should hear the sound of a plugined device when you connect the m5. You should also see you com port in the device manager.
Can you plug it into another computer?

Ah you might also want to try with another usbc cable…

yep yep, that’s what I’ve read. tried 3 different cables, 3 different windows computers (win10 all). During boot, before boot, after boot, this little bastard juuust refuses to to be read and written.

yeah, Windows dings right away when I plug it in. In device manager it even discovers it correctly as m5stickc. And I have this port:
I can’t force the port in m5burner, it always jumpst to whatever port the VCP has. But still, no freaking luck…

Anyway, I’ll try at a friend’s house too tomorrow, see how it goes, but this little devil just really pissed me off :slight_smile:

Er… I doubt this com3 port shows up when you plug in the m5. The SOL com port is a kind of internal serial port to discuss with your Intel motherboard.

Try to see where the m5 shows up in the device manager when you plug it in.

When you find it, delete the driver attached to it and install it from here https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

1 Like