Danfoss Ally TRV working with remote temp sensor

Beautiful!

I’ve now reverted to setting the external measured temperature to the actual measured temperature. :slight_smile: It seems the Ally TRVs do in fact learn over time, so after a few days, the rooms did start getting overheated when I used the formula I came up with. I’ve edited my post above accordingly.

@randomuser Great news that Danfoss will release the “radiator covered” feature soon!

1 Like

How is your battery usage on the Danfoss Ally going? I seem to have gone down 7% in 2 weeks, at this rate I am definately not going to last the advertised 2 years.

My oldest is 1 year old, and is at 53%, but I also turn them off between April and October.

But it’s really not an issue for me, I am going to stick rechargeable batteries in them next time.

by turning off do you mean setting the value to 7 degrees or do you actually remove the batteries?

Generally I find that the thermostat seem to send the information back to MQTT very often. If I run MQTT explorer, I seem to have a last seen every 2mn or so, I am wondering if I should change the polling time so that it sends information less often to Z2M.

I press the button until the device turns off. It will open the valve to 100%.

It of course requires you to turn of the kettle as well. Which happens automatically in my building block when the outside temperature is high enough.

Interesting, thank you.

I have the same issue with one of my 5 Ally trvs.
I have to pull batteries every 1-2 days.

Did you find a solution?

A new firmware was released today, no changelog so far, and it was only offered through the official app. So I’m impatiently waiting for a downloadable file.

1 Like

Same here! @bjorn.sivertsen do you own the Ally gateway as well? I am trying to better understand polling times, the preheat function and the load calculation when there are multiple radiators in the same room.

I don’t. I just saw it through a HA Facebook group. :slight_smile:

unrelated but i just saw that Danfoss is releasing an external Temp/humidity sensor to be used with covered radiator (which would confirm the above feature in the new firmware)

when I let MQTT Explorer run, I can see that my Danfoss Ally seems to be reporting values every minute or so, which seems like a lot and probably explains why my batterie is going down like this.

what is the reporting frequency on our end?

Oh this is great news. I have seen the Ally Temp sensor as preorders for about 55 euro in Denmark… So if we can take advantage of the upcoming radiator covered function, my wallet will be insanely grateful :smiley:

New firmware 1.18 now available here! Happily OTAing to my Allys right now. :slight_smile: I’ll post if there’s any good or bad news to report once the new firmware is running.

2 Likes

Fantastic, I’ve uploaded it to my OTAU folder as well!

Also, let me know how you configure the external sensor, with the added functionality, so we can hopefully completely disregard the onboard sensor. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you just create a OTAU folder within config/zigbee2mqtt?

I’m using ZHA, so will be different for MQTT, but I have defined a OTA directory in my configuration.yaml and created the folder and placed the files there.

zha:
  zigpy_config:
    ota:
      ikea_provider: true # Auto update Trådfri devices
      ledvance_provider: true # Auto update LEDVANCE devices
      otau_directory: /config/zigpy_ota # Utilize .ota files to update everything else

There are some Hue firmware files as well.

thanks! I had a look online and indeed, it seems like Z2M does not support custom files, I have added a message to add the firmware to the github OTA