Dashboard in HomeKit

Is it possible to show a dashboard as a “camera/still image” in HomeKit? I need some “text status” inside HomeKit. It does not have to be interactive.

Home Assistant Cast seems to do that for TVs, so this might be possible already. Any experience on this?

In fact I only need an image with some variables and images to look nice. :slight_smile:

I’m trying to do the same.

For now I’m just trying to use an image saved to the ‘www’ folder and view it on my Apple TV. So far I’ve created a local_file camera, MJPEG camera, attempted to use MotionEye, and multiple variations of stream_source. Nothing works in Homekit, I can get a thumbnail however when I select the camera eventually it errors out.

If anyone knows how to view a .jpg as a camera in Homekit it would be appreciated.

By viewing you mean in full screen? I can’t do that as well. But if you replace the image it will get updated in the preview. Maybe you could make some sort of H.264 stream, which is native to HomeKit.

I’m just trying to view a .jpg on my Apple TV. Which ever way that can be accomplished.

I’ve put “blue.jpg” in my www folder. Verified I can see the .jpg at <my_ip>:8123/local/image/blue.jpg
Create a local_file camera, and create a lovelace card to view blue.jpg. I can see blue.jpg, no issues.
Add camera.blue to my homekit .yaml as an accessory, add accessory to home app. Home app connects, and all is good right? Image preview shows a still of camera.blue with a timer. Once I click on the camera in the Home app I get the spinning circle until Homekit times out and Home Assistant has stream closed errors.

So in theory if I can figure out how to make a .jpg viewable in Homekit, a person could then make an automation that saves a lovelace view to a .jpg file and turn that in to an entity that Homekit can ‘see’.

I had this exact question as well:

Google took me to this post first, I might have stumbled on to that one eventually too.